Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom for processing only?  (Read 13880 times)

Phuong

Lightroom for processing only?
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 11:55:42 pm »

i subscribe to napp magazine. the latest issue came with a magazine called "Darkroom" which is dedicated for Lightroom. i didndt bother to read it until today and i just realized that LR can do a lot more than i thought. its DAM may not be very good atm, but there are other things such as batch printing or tethered shooting, etc... things that can't be done in PS10. so i think it's best to get both LR and PS10.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2007, 08:41:36 am »

No...because the plug-in API for Photoshop doesn't offer that sort of cursor interaction.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=113166\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This was really a feature I was hoping for in PS3 or Bridge, sorry but using the HSL Control in ACR4 without the target control system, epsecially in BW kind of sucks...
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 06:28:15 pm »

What I find that is excellent is the Develop module controls--very powerfull.  However, for my work i begin with jpegs and do not use raw.  Adobe has addeed the develop controls to the new ACR module--why not let us have these controls in photoshop to work on jpegs or tiff's as in Lightroom??

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2007, 04:52:21 am »

What I find that is excellent is the Develop module controls--very powerfull.  However, for my work i begin with jpegs and do not use raw.  Adobe has addeed the develop controls to the new ACR module--why not let us have these controls in photoshop to work on jpegs or tiff's as in Lightroom??

MDIJB
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=114921\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Not 100% sure, but I think you can use ACR 4.0 with all TIFF and JPG images.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 10:02:11 am »

I checked the Adobe site and you are correct--you can work on JPEG's abd tiff's, just as in LR.  What is not clear is whether ALL the controls, including the curves, targeted adjustments, and Hue/Saturation section availble in LR Develop module are present in ACR 4.0.

I am curious why Adobe did not iclude support for it's own PSD format as well.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 12:49:07 pm »

After hours of trying I finally gotthru to Adobe.

NO-- the module in ACR 4 is not the complete module that is in LR.  The tech said the targeted adjustment tool is not included and the Hue/Sat is not the extensive one that is present in LR.  Most other functions work similarly, but not as complete.
mdiimaging.com

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 12:59:08 pm »

The tech said the targeted adjustment tool is not included and the Hue/Sat is not the extensive one that is present in LR.  Most other functions work similarly, but not as complete.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115191\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The ability to adjust settings and render results are exactly the same between Camera Raw 4 and Lightroom 1.0. EXACTLY...the only differences are ones of toolset and usability. The results will be exactly the same.

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 04:44:19 pm »

Jeff
When I watched you LR video Tutorial, there were extensive hue/sat sliders in the bottom right palletes--I did not see these in the screen shots of ACR 4 at Adobe--are these present in ACR?  If not as extensive, how can one get the same level of control that is possible in LR ??

What about the Curves functions--Are these the same as in LR??

The targeted adjustment tool looked very powerful and useful--how easy is it to get the same results without this tool in ACR?

If anyone knows it would be you--why doesn't adobe support it's own PSD format, just jpeg and tiff with ACR?

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 06:12:51 pm »

Jeff
When I watched you LR video Tutorial, there were extensive hue/sat sliders in the bottom right palletes--I did not see these in the screen shots of ACR 4 at Adobe--are these present in ACR?  If not as extensive, how can one get the same level of control that is possible in LR ??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=115233\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Camera Raw has a slightly different UI in that not all 24 sliders are available at once...but if you click on "Hue", Saturation & "Luminance" you'll see all 24 sliders are there...

What about the Curves functions--Are these the same as in LR??

More in Camera Raw actually since CR has BOTH parametric sliders as well as point editing...LR only has parametric sliders.

If anyone knows it would be you--why doesn't adobe support it's own PSD format, just jpeg and tiff with ACR?

Cause the PSD format sucks...Lightroom almost didn't support PSDs either (they blinked).

Fact is, the support of jpg and tiff was designed for "camera files" not edited Photoshop images...you really don't want to take highly edited files and run them though Camera Raw (unless they are clean 16 bit large color space files).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 06:13:29 pm by Schewe »

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2007, 12:07:54 pm »

I was intrigued about your comments regarding the PSD format

.[Cause the PSD format sucks...Lightroom almost didn't support PSDs either (they blinked).

Could give me some insight as to why you think this??  Should we always be working with Tiff's as apposed to PSD??  Why??

Mdijb
mdiimaging.com

Wolf Eilers

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2007, 11:29:16 pm »

Jeff has already answered the tif versus psd question in this posting.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up