Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does Lightroom play wav files?  (Read 6714 times)

marty m

• http://
Does Lightroom play wav files?
« on: April 10, 2007, 12:15:27 am »

Does Lightroom play back the audio wav files recorded with cameras such as the Canon 1Ds or 1Ds MkII?  I haven't been able to find the setting if it does.

If not, this is a huge failing in Lightroom.  I make frequent use of the audio wav recording to note issues that are not reflected in metadata.  Such as which filter I used, etc.

Lightroom has an excellent ability to review all of our shots and the ability to magnify images, to carefully look at sharpness, is outstanding.  Far better than what Photo Mechanic offers.

On the other hand, almost all other software for reviewing images, such as Photo Mechanic, includes the ability to listen to the wav files.  It is a glaring gap if this feature is not included.

I'm hoping that I just couldn't find it though.  I'd be delighted to be wrong!

marty m

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 12:24:40 am »

Does Lightroom play back the audio wav files recorded with cameras such as the Canon 1Ds or 1Ds MkII?  I haven't been able to find the setting if it does.

If not, this is a huge failing in Lightroom. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111639\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I just found the answer to my own question.  I underestimated the stupidity of Adobe and the so-called experts who helped the design this software.  Would any of those experts like to stand up, take a bow, and explain how the following glaring omission was included in Lightroom?

I'll NEVER use Lightroom to import images -- because it will fail to import the wav files all together.  Because they have the same file name as the raw image.  

Here is the answer, copied from DDQ:

Question:

You have made a number of favorable comments about Lightroom and having used a few of the betas, and presently the trial, I have to agree that Lightroom has some nice features.  However it has one fatal flaw, (IMO and that of many others);  it won't import files bearing the same name but with different extensions.  They are, in fact, different files and I am baffled beyond words that Adobe did not make provisions for the user to decide how to handle this issue.
As you pointed out, you and I, and most everyone else who has been shooting for more than a week, have created a folder and file structure that suits our needs.  To require that we move the "duplicate" file names into another directory to allow importing is not  an acceptable solution when you have tens of thousands of images in hundreds of folders.

I am a bit of a 'software junky'....  I will often support new software in spite of short comings on the presumption that it will mature.  Perhaps Adobe will deal with this at some point, but the shooters I know will not even consider buying it until this problem is fixed.  It is, after all, not a PS replacement, but rather another tool, offering a streamlined workflow for certain kinds of images or shooting sessions.  There are lots of valid reasons, after all,  why a shooter might shoot RAW + jpg and want both files to be imported into Lightroom.

==========

ANSWER:

You are correct that if there are two files with the same filename but different extensions, Lightroom will only allow you to import one of those images. When you are importing a folder full of images, it will favor the RAW capture. That means if you capture RAW+JPEG, only the RAW will get imported. If you are working with images you had been working on prior to using Lightroom, and you already have various versions of the file (for example, a PSD with multiple layers, a TIFF file, and a RAW capture), only one of those files can be present in Lightroom.
I do agree that this isn't the best solution, or that at the very least Lightroom should provide an option to the user to decide whether they want these "duplicates" (which aren't duplicates at all by virtue of the fact that they are different files with different file formats, even if they are from the same source). I find it odd, for example, that you can import a Photoshop PSD file (presumably your master image with all the layers intact), but can't later import the original RAW capture that was the source for that PSD file.

I would most certainly agree that it would be great if Adobe would add an option to allow multiple files with the same filename and different extensions. I would encourage anyone who feels the same to provide feedback to Adobe about this issue, as I can assure you from personal experience they have been very responsive to input from users. Lightroom was -- to my knowledge -- the first product Adobe exposed to a public beta, and it is also in my experience the product for which they were most responsive to feedback.

And, of course, if someone knows a way to work around this limitation (without changing the filename, obviously), or know of some setting somewhere I missed, please let me know and you'll win a prize. A very nice prize. Which I'll tell you about on April 9th.

francois

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 03:33:51 am »

Marty,
Be sure to fill a feature request (here). What other software does import and play Canon's audio?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 03:39:35 am by francois »
Francois

marty m

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 04:31:56 am »

Marty,
Be sure to fill a feature request (here). What other software does import and play Canon's audio?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111653\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Photo Mechanic does so very well, as an integrated part of the software.  Photo Mechanic's zoom feature is crude by comparison though.  Lightroom could have done both, if it had included the ability to play back the wav files.

Ironically, the other software that does so but not in an integrated fashion is Adobe Bridge in CS2.  All of the wav files show up separately, and if you click on them they open using a player like Media Player.  This is not an integrated as is Photo Mechanic, but at least the files actually show up, you know that they are there, and you can play them if you want to.

It is a very serious problem if Lightroom simply refuses to import wav audio files -- or Jpeg files -- and basically trashes them.  I haven't yet tried to import from a CF card, but my understanding from DDQ is that Lightroom would only import the raw files, and simply leave the audio wav or jpeg files behind on the CF card.  So that when you erase the cards, or reformat, you lost the files all together.

I wonder how many have realized that?

This is such a serious deficiency as to argue against ever using Lightroom to import files from CF cards, if those cards contain raw and wav or raw and jpeg or raw, jpeg and wav.

francois

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 07:20:13 am »

Photo Mechanic does so very well, as an integrated part of the software.  Photo Mechanic's zoom feature is crude by comparison though.  Lightroom could have done both, if it had included the ability to play back the wav files.

Ironically, the other software that does so but not in an integrated fashion is Adobe Bridge in CS2.  All of the wav files show up separately, and if you click on them they open using a player like Media Player.  This is not an integrated as is Photo Mechanic, but at least the files actually show up, you know that they are there, and you can play them if you want to.

It is a very serious problem if Lightroom simply refuses to import wav audio files -- or Jpeg files -- and basically trashes them.  I haven't yet tried to import from a CF card, but my understanding from DDQ is that Lightroom would only import the raw files, and simply leave the audio wav or jpeg files behind on the CF card.  So that when you erase the cards, or reformat, you lost the files all together.

I wonder how many have realized that?

This is such a serious deficiency as to argue against ever using Lightroom to import files from CF cards, if those cards contain raw and wav or raw and jpeg or raw, jpeg and wav.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111656\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I believe that in your case, LR is not the right tool. PM is a stronger and more mature application.
Francois

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 07:28:35 am »

I believe that in your case, LR is not the right tool. PM is a stronger and more mature application.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111675\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes, Marty makes a good point. Even if LR will not display wav files, it should import them from the card and then manage them as sidecars.

John

michael

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 08:57:33 am »

I agree completely that not handing the .wav files is a mistake.

And it isn't as if it wasn't a known issue. I asked for it as part of the alpha review process about a year ago. I guess it just wasn't high enough on the priority list to make it into V1.0.

Hopefully it will be added in a future version.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up