Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SensorScope  (Read 3571 times)

mcanyes

• www.dig-arts.biz
SensorScope
« on: April 09, 2007, 08:12:07 am »

I just don't see the use for this gadget for a couple of reasons:

It is a dust collector itself and can introduce dust into the camera while one looks at the sensor, or just has the lens off longer.

I will need to shoot an image to check the sensor anyway, when I think it is clean. So it's no big deal to shoot images after each cleaning. The proof of the pudding is in the image, not in what I can see with SensorScope.

Michael Canyes
Michael Canyes
Nikon stuff www.dig-arts.

michael

SensorScope
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:53:03 am »

With all due respect, you obviously haven't cleaned your sensor in the field very much.

Doing so in the office, studio or at home where you can transfer the file to a computer and view the resulting file on screen is one thing, doing it on location is quite another.

Michael

larryg

• Larry gaskill photography
SensorScope
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 10:27:52 am »

I saw this item at PMA and thought the scope might be useful. The last thing I would prefer to see is dust spots on every image for a days shoot.  You can blow with the rocket blower or such and use the Butterfly but the scope would give you an immediate clue whether you got all of the dust spots/smudges off the sensor.

The salesman at the booth mentioned that the scope might be able to be purchased separately.
I too can only see the large case gathering dust (with the pile of the other camera bags and stuff on the shelf).  

The best and easiest tool I have used so far is the Artic Butterfly.

An almost $200 price tag takes most of the interest in purchasing this item away from me.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
SensorScope
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 03:24:10 pm »

I just don't see the use for this gadget for a couple of reasons:

It is a dust collector itself and can introduce dust into the camera while one looks at the sensor, or just has the lens off longer.

I will need to shoot an image to check the sensor anyway, when I think it is clean. So it's no big deal to shoot images after each cleaning. The proof of the pudding is in the image, not in what I can see with SensorScope.

Michael Canyes
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111459\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Got a demo of it at PMA and thought it was pretty slick. And the viewer is only a part of the package. Its useful to see what's on the sensor and decide if you even need to mess with it. The little vac seemed to work well. If I wasn't talked into an Arctic Butterfly (which cost a lot for what it appears to be...). It works, so I'm happy. But in hindsight, I would have gone this product.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

cmburns

SensorScope
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 06:20:51 pm »

Did anyone happen to see these at PMA?
https://dust-aid.com/

I thought I read something about Canon Japan selling something like that but can't find it.

mcanyes

• www.dig-arts.biz
SensorScope
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 08:01:07 am »

With all due respect, you obviously haven't cleaned your sensor in the field very much.

Doing so in the office, studio or at home where you can transfer the file to a computer and view the resulting file on screen is one thing, doing it on location is quite another.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111461\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good point about being in the field. I normally have a laptop with me. If I didn't this might be worth a try, even if it doesn't get everything.

Michael Canyes
Michael Canyes
Nikon stuff www.dig-arts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up