Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What defines a RIP  (Read 5108 times)

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
What defines a RIP
« on: April 08, 2007, 11:09:39 pm »

I was trying to explain this to someone the other day and I realized that I did not really know what I was talking about. Can some one explain it and also (just casually) compare the differences between a full feature RIP like StudioPrint vs. a limited feature RIP like ImagePrint vs. a layout program like QImage?
Thanks
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Ernst Dinkla

What defines a RIP
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 08:54:55 am »

I was trying to explain this to someone the other day and I realized that I did not really know what I was talking about. Can some one explain it and also (just casually) compare the differences between a full feature RIP like StudioPrint vs. a limited feature RIP like ImagePrint vs. a layout program like QImage?
Thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That you didn't know what you were talking about is more the result of the many flavors RIPs have these days than a lack of knowledge I think. In its simplest form a Raster Image Processor could apply as well to just an OEM printer driver today so the field is wide.

In the original version a RIP was used on image setters to produce (halftone) films on image setters. The films again were used to make offset printing plates or similar image carriers in other printing processes. At that time the RIP was a very proprietary solution and integrated in the total hardware system of the image setters.
Drivers for desktop printers at that time had very limited in functions, big printers didn't exist. The RIP hardware approach was followed in the first RIP kind of laserprinters among them the first Postscript laser printers that had a PS RIP engine inside. With the wider use of desktop computers and the introduction of software like Freedom of Press, Ghostscript etc, that translated documents in PS to the driver languages like PCL, more market pressure on propriatery hardware solutions grew. At the same time use of RIPs outside the image setter's world really started to grow for printers, plotters etc and with that the variety also increased. Conventional halftone screening got new stochastic screening etc next to it, the Postscript language itself was further developed. The development of all that had been along the path of text>document>illustrations added, while image setters allowed reproduction of photography there were no laser or inkjet printers with an acceptable photo quality. That change came with the introduction of the Iris inkjet printers.

The variety in RIPs we know now is the result of the different needs now and the history of the developments mentioned above. There still are software and hardware solutions but the first have the advantage now. They all do the basic Raster Image Processing on bitmaps, some will do the rasterisation of vectors and vector based fonts (Postscript based mainly), some have to rely on other applications to do the last (Acrobat, Photoshop, some third party clones). There are dedicated software RIPs now that are designed for photography + image reproduction only and deliberately have no PS etc interpretation, often driving just one type of printer per license. ImagePrint is one example. There are software RIPs that have almost all the functions a RIP can have considering the history of functions and the needs today, RIPs that still can drive image setters, laser printers, wide electrostatic (laser) printers, the latest wide inkjets and RGB devices like digital photoprinters on analoge material. With Postscript and HPGL interpretion, with color management in CMYK and RGB style, with economic nesting of the documents/images on the paper/film width.  Often optional extensions cover an even wider field of functions like profile creation, textile printing, cutting plotter drivers, UV curing inkjet flatbed printers etc. Licenses cover 30 or 40 printer drivers and say 4 printers can be driven from one RIP. The Wasatch SoftRip is an example. In that case the Postscript interpretation is based on Jaws (name must have been changed meanwhile) one of the more successfull third party PS interpreters.

There's another distinction between RIPs and that is related to the way they handle their color management. In a RIP with CMYK style printer CM system there are more elements of the paper/ink settings incorporated in the profile creation. Inklimit, black generation, LC>C etc partitioning choice, CMY balance and even more. In an RGB style printer profiling system that part is a black box and the profiling is laid on top in RGB style like one would use for an RGB device: monitors, scanners or RGB photoprinters. OEM drivers are in that category. ImagePrint is similar but one can get a new media profile (settings) + RGB profile from the company at request. After that one can make custom RGB profiles based on that new media profile like one can make a custom profile on a normal OEM driver media profile. Your example of Qimage + the OEM driver is very close to what Imageprint can offer, Qimage's nesting of images on the sheet or roll is a normal RIP function, its extrapolation routines are second to none even compared to RIPs, the RGB style color management is at Photoshop level and depending on the media profiles number that are available for your printer of choice, the lack of custom media profiles (optional with ImagePrint) may be no problem. The quality of dithering, weaving, in the actual print is the responsibility of the printer driver manufacturer and they know what the competition delivers. So though it is a combination of applications it still gets close to today's RIP category in functions and quality. Add Acrobat in the chain and PS interpretation is available too (at Adobe level!). The Wasatch SoftRip and some other RIPs introduced RGB style profiling also for inkjet profiling next to their CMYK profiling some years ago, one of the reasons was the introduction of some N-color printers that use more than the CMY hue inks. In some cases profiling was considered easier that way. The main difference is that the media settings etc are still transparent even with RGB style profiling.

I'm sure I didn't cover all aspects of RIPs and I doubt the story above makes it easier to explain to someone else what a RIP is. It is a moving target in the first place that changes shape on the move too.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

adiallo

What defines a RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 09:11:19 am »

Back in the day, a RIP was a standalone software/workstation combo that offloaded the entire image processing pipeline from your main computer, hence the name Raster Image Processor. They were primarily used for PostScript files which are essentially math instructions for printing vector art, as opposed to the pixel data we photographers use.
Six-seven years ago, RIP vendors started developing software-only solutions for photo-realistic output on inkjet printers. The idea was to bypass the native printer driver and offer either better halftoning algorithms, multi-image layout capability, and/or greater control over image quality parameters.
Today, almost anything can be called a RIP from a marketing standpoint. RIPs like ColorBurst, StudioPrint, and Onyx and Wasatch products offer the ability to linearize a printer's output and drive the printer as a CMYK device. When you linearize the printer as a CMYK device, you measure the output of each ink channel and the RIP makes the necessary adjustments so that output is linear, ie a 50% cyan value prints twice as dark as a 25% cyan value. Then you can build a profile that is measuring CMYK input, rather than RGB input values. That doesnt mean you have to save your images in CMYK mode, although you can if you want to. The RIP will handle the RGB conversion behind the scenes if you send it RGB pixel data, which is exactly what the OEM printer driver does. So the difference with a CMYK-capable RIP is that you fine-tune the your individual printer's CMYK behavior before this conversion takes place.
ImagePrint became very popular by bundling what most individual photographers want from a RIP; page layout, improved image accuracy, and better grayscale output than was possible with the Epson drivers. They kept the linearization and profiling in a black box, which hardcore tinkerers don't like. But for those who are not interested in getting under the hood, ImagePrint offers a no fuss no muss out of the box experience and eliminates the requirement to own a spectrophotometer.
When the x800s with ABW came out, Epson greatly improved their driver performance in regard to accuracy and grayscale performace. HP's driver is continously improving through firmware updates and does a very good job with image accuracy and certainly grayscale output. Canon's drive is no slouch either. So moving forward a RIP is becoming a much harder sell for the average photographer, with the exception of page layout capability. Many Windows users rely on QImage for that.
amadou diallo
[url=http://blogfiftygreat

adiallo

What defines a RIP
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 09:15:08 am »

I knew as I was typing my reply that Ernst must be somewhere near a computer  He gives as good and detailed as explanation as you'll get.
amadou diallo
[url=http://blogfiftygreat

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
What defines a RIP
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 07:33:06 pm »

Thanks guys. I have used ImagePrint for years. It seems like this used to be a simpler question that I was pretty clear on.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
What defines a RIP
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 09:04:46 pm »

Raster Image Processor although lots of people and companies use the term (incorrectly) when they are not RIPping anything. Often its just a 3rd party print driver.

It's explained here:

http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200609_rodneycm.pdf
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

ricgal

What defines a RIP
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 03:02:57 am »

I am putting together a glossy magazine and want to be able provide absolutely colour accurate proofs of page layouts to show the photographers involved.  I am using an HPz3100 can you please advise me on the best route to go down.  The printers are up to date and CM savy.
Thanks
www.ricbower.com- Art and Fashion Photog

Ernst Dinkla

What defines a RIP
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 05:14:55 am »

Raster Image Processor although lots of people and companies use the term (incorrectly) when they are not RIPping anything. Often its just a 3rd party print driver.

It's explained here:

http://www.ppmag.com/reviews/200609_rodneycm.pdf
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Andrew,

It is like interpreting the Bible.

There have been complete OS systems that relied on vector rasterisation internally: Display Postscript on the NEXT for example. Acorn Risc Os did alike. Anti-aliasing of fonts and vectors included. With the strict rule of vectors>rasterisation you could describe those 1980-1990 systems as RIPs when a printer was attached. They were never described that way though. An early Apple or PC with Type1 fonts + Freedom of Press + the driver + no name laser or inkjet printer had already the essential parts of a software RIP how clumsy in features and quality. The Autocad and similar CAD programs that had their proprietary drivers for early inkjets to convert their vectors. Even HPGL>Tiff, PDF>Tiff converters are essentially analogue to the core of a RIP.

Yesterday I was thinking that maybe the only aspect that separates a RIP from a driver these days is the spooling, the data flow to the printer that bypasses the normal OS paths. In the past a guarantee that you could make larger prints + repeat the already ripped job when the spool data was kept. Today that is possible with a driver too and Qimage makes it easy. The advantage of bypassing the OS path could be in 16 bit processing though, Canon and others have used the PS plug-in to get that done, there is theoretically a way to do it throught the OS paths but RIPs should have an advantage there.

BTW, the Quadtone RIP, B&W only but with user changeable ink limitation, partitioning, linearisation, B&W profile making, but no CM, no vector rasterisation, no color printing uses the OS spooling on Windows. Again an exception. Not a RIP then ?

There still are good reasons to buy a RIP if your work asks for it. Postscript interpreting on a daily basis, to drive printers that have no OS drivers and proofprinting with device link profiles will be difficult without a RIP. Is there an easy way for the last without a RIP ?

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
What defines a RIP
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 09:05:19 am »

BTW, the Quadtone RIP, B&W only but with user changeable ink limitation, partitioning, linearisation, B&W profile making, but no CM, no vector rasterisation, no color printing uses the OS spooling on Windows. Again an exception. Not a RIP then ?

Nope, a print driver. But RIP does sound sexier.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Chris_T

What defines a RIP
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 08:54:24 am »

When the x800s with ABW came out, Epson greatly improved their driver performance in regard to accuracy and grayscale performace. HP's driver is continously improving through firmware updates and does a very good job with image accuracy and certainly grayscale output. Canon's drive is no slouch either. So moving forward a RIP is becoming a much harder sell for the average photographer, with the exception of page layout capability. Many Windows users rely on QImage for that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111466\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It is about time that Epson is getting some competitions. The hw capabilities of these printers are comparable, but it is the drivers and profiles that lag behind. Hopefully this will set a trend for Epson to update their driver firmwaves on existing models instead of keep coming out with newer models. But I won't hold my breath.
Pages: [1]   Go Up