Poll

After using the Canon iPF5000 for more than a month...

I have had no technical issues
- 30 (45.5%)
I have had minor technical issues, but am overall satisfied
- 18 (27.3%)
I have had technical issues requiring a service call but am overall satisfied
- 8 (12.1%)
I have had technical issues requiring two or more service calls but am overall satisfied
- 6 (9.1%)
I have had major technical issues that made me question my purchase
- 4 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: Printing Experience with Canon iPF5000  (Read 10948 times)

John Hollenberg

POLL: Printing Experience with Canon iPF5000
« on: April 08, 2007, 04:17:08 pm »

This poll was inspired by the Epson 3800 poll, so we can collect some data on owners experiences with the iPF5000.  Feel free to post a narrative account of why you answered as you did.

--John

Tony B.

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 04:35:24 pm »

voted-I have had minor technical issues, but am overall satisfied

My initial set up required calls to Canon's help desk because of a print head failure on set up.  They covered the print head, ink for that print head and the maintenance cartridge.
I still might have issues with my roll feed unit (but is working at this time) and have not called for service on it yet.
Other than that I have not had any mechanical issues with the printer.

Tony

Avalan

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 06:37:05 pm »

Voted : No technical issues

Major concerns :
1-Worried about longevity and permanence and waiting to see Wilhelm's report.
2 Expensive heads.
3-Expect to see improved warranties for the printer and cosumables .
4- Expect to see better profiles provided for the printer.

Tim Anderson

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 11:41:04 pm »

Well, seems I am alone in the group of those wondering why I bought this printer....check out the posts on the ipf5000 wiki for more information.  I am the owner of the worst ipf in the world, apparently.

Regards,

Tim

Jim_H_WY

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 11:59:27 pm »

Voted:  Technical issues requiring a service call but overall satisfied.

I voted this way because now that the printer is working, it's doing just great for me.

Still, I feel that Canon USA's warranty and support policies need improvement.

It took five or six weeks to get mine working properly from the time I first reported the problem.  Meanwhile, I had wasted a lot of ink, paper, and time troubleshooting this "ghosting" issue (unique to my printer as far as I know).

Also, early on, I spent quite a bit of time, ink, and paper working on a solution to the "far end feed banding" issue.  When I finally figured out the answer to it, I called Canon Tech support and they were happy to finally have a solution to this problem which was fairly common to these printers.  From various reports I've read, they were having field techs swap mainboards and the like trying to solve it.

In any case, when I asked Canon if they'd consider providing any replacement ink for the ink wasted between the time I got my printer and the time it was finally brought into proper working condition, they turned me down.  Somehow, that struck me as somewhat ungrateful and also poor customer relations.  A couple of new ink carts would have made me feel like they valued me as a customer and appreciated the efforts I've put into all of this.

But to me, at this time, the two things that have me the most worried are:

1.  Two $640 printheads with no warranty and a Canon recommended lifetime of 12 months after the package is opened.  Will my printer be a total loss by this time next year?

2.  No longevity data for the Lucia inkset with any papers.  If someone buys a print from me, what can I tell them if they ask about this?

When things are working right, this printer is a joy to use.  I love the printer and the look of the prints I'm getting now.  But I am not satisfied with Canon USA's policies.  I'm hoping they'll make a few changes to address these issues and then the printer can earn a hearty "highly recommended" from all of us owners.

Jim H.

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 05:49:45 am »

This poll was inspired by the Epson 3800 poll, so we can collect some data on owners experiences with the iPF5000.  Feel free to post a narrative account of why you answered as you did.

--John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111363\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Very satisfied so far (since early August 2006).  Lots of printing.  No problems except the trailing edge banding which was easily corrected once the adjustment procedure was discovered by WIKI users.

Tony Bonanno
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 09:30:31 am »

I tested one and sent it back after two weeks. Although the Photoshop print utility was easy to use, it was tough to hook it up to a rip and create custom profiles with enough control for my tastes. Most of the problems lies with the inability to create a custom media profile. I've recently purchased an HPZ3100, and am mostly happy with the results. Calibrating and profiling a third party media is straightforward, and it's easy to give it clear name that's accesible in the printer options dialoqs.

I was impressed with the mechanics of the Canon. Not a jam or miss-feed in the three week I had it. The software interface is in need of a lot of work.
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

John Hollenberg

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 04:01:42 pm »

It is a bit surprising to me that the poll (so far) is showing about 30% needing a service call or having other major technical issues.  I would have expected it to be somewhat lower.  Granted, those with problems tend to be more likely to vote, but while the number of votes is roughly equal to the Epson 3800 poll so far, there is a substantial minority with more significant problems.  For the record, I voted "Two or more service calls, but satisfied".  I actually had 3 service calls, but decided not to break the categories down that far when I created the poll.

PS Just created a profile for Epson Premium Luster using Special 5 media type and got the largest gamut I have found for any paper so far, and a dmax of 2.44.  Interestingly, while the gamut size calculated in Colorthink Pro was very close to the Epson 2400 gamut size for Premium Luster, the shapes were quite different.  The Epson did a lot better in warmer colors, especially yellows/oranges, while the Canon had some very saturated medium greens in the L* 50 range and blues/cyans/some magentas considerably outside the Epson gamut in the L* < 35 range.

--John

jpgentry

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 11:14:08 pm »

It would be very helpful if everyone who votes here puts in the reason for their vote so we can quantify the results.  I'm surprised the three people who questioned their purchase didn't post anything here in the text about why they voted this way.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:21:02 pm by jpgentry »

John Hollenberg

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 11:40:40 pm »

It would be very helpful if everyone who votes here puts in the reason for their vote so we can quantify the results.  I'm surprised the three people who questioned their purchase didn't post anything here in the text about why they voted this way.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111628\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tim Anderson did.  He's the guy with banding after about 5 service calls and Canon refuses to replace the printer.  He finally wrote a letter to the head of Canon USA, hasn't heard anything yet.  I am curious about the other two also.  I suspect that those with two or more service calls may have been people who had roll feed problems that didn't get fixed the first time around because parts hadn't been ordered.

However, you are right that it would be best if each person who voted also stated how many service calls they had, and for what.  

Edit: I realize this is a skewed sample, but perhaps there are more defective roll feed units than I suspected, with all these service calls.  I estimated 4-5%, perhaps up to 7-8%, but maybe it is higher.  My bet is that most of the service calls were for the roll feed units, which is a very common problem reported on the Wiki.

--John
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 11:43:12 pm by John Hollenberg »

423photography

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 03:28:01 am »

I have had no technical issues with my printer.  This may be a little tilted though as I've not used it to the levels that many of you have, or at least that is how I perceive it to be.  I still consider my self a novice and continue to read and make test prints.   What I have printed, I have been more then happy with.  My only surprise is how much ink remains in the starter ink cartridges when the printer shows the ink level to be insufficient to clean the heads and must be replaced. Thank you for all the valuable posts that are available here on this forum.

Tim Anderson

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 07:15:17 am »

423photography,

My usage of the printer has been limited to making multiple head and banding adjustments in every conceivable way combined with a large collection of test prints in an attempt to get rid of my banding problems.

Your comment about remaining ink and head cleaning don't surprise me at all, when my machine ate a set of print heads it positively poured ink into the maintenance cartridge.  It looked like every B cycle gobbled up 20 percent of the maintenance cartridge.  That's cleaning cycle B, cleaning cycle A is a lot less wasteful.  B is what they tell you to use if you get an "eject detect error".  It means the printer is sensing faulty ejection of ink by the print heads, and if cleaning cycle B does not fix it then get ready to beg for new head(s).  I understand someone on the wiki was told verbally that Canon will replace heads while the machine is under warranty, but that is NOT what their official policy says.  Until it is in writing then you are at their mercy.

Regards,

Tim

fixturedoc

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 10:42:40 am »

I had a small broken part upon deliver that was replaced, and the printer was essentially perfect. Once checking for John's "banding" issue with his test file, I noted minimal issues that were eliminated with the new firmware v. 1.23 and Jim H WY's fine research and techniques.

The printer is producing great photos, and the roll feed unit is OK to date, but I am hoping that Canon will replace the plastic parts with their upgrade.
Les  AKA fixturedoc

Ed Dubois

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 11:37:19 am »

I voted minor tech issues but satisfied because of the frustrations with the documentation and the problems I had getting the individual sheet feeder to work. Oddly that problem cleared up when I installed the roll feeder.   The roll feeder is working well so far although the software keeps telling me I have an incorrect paper selection (but the prints come out fine).

In general I like the quality of the output of this printer but everytime I use it I find I'm nervous about what new messages the software will come up that make no sense to me.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 09:27:50 am »

For those who voted "Major Technical Issues", please post your experience so we can get a better handle on the problems you have faced.  Tim Anderson's experience has already been extensively documented on the Wiki, but we don't know the nature of the problems the other 3 have had.

Thanks.

--John

robjr

• http://robertrodriguezjr.com
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2007, 03:34:18 pm »

I had the roll feed gears replaced by a tech within a week after calling, otherwise, the printer has been perfect, no regrets.

tonywh

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 12:06:39 pm »

no technical problems whats so ever. Cant remember having to toss a single sheet because the printer had done some thing wrong. We have had the printer installed for 287 days with steady usage, 216square meters. Commercialy it has proved an excelent purchace.

tony

LPJay

• lumen-perfectus.com
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 04:08:48 pm »

I've had a starter ink tank fail. Called Canon support, received polite and competent help, and a 130ml tank arrived the next day. The only snafu was the email from Canon with a FedEx Tracking number. That number proved to be invalid. It became obvious why when UPS delivered the tank!  

I've had my iPF5000 a little over a month. I should mention I have not yet used the roll feed unit. However the other three feed options work perfectly.

--Jay
  www.lumen-perfectus.com

daev

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 08:11:14 pm »

I didn't vote because I haven't bothered to have my problem fixed yet, but I can't print from the cassette... I couldn't even complete the inital setup alignment prints.  It kept telling me it can't detect the paper, so I ended up just canceling the process and did a manual alignment later using the tray.

No issues (yet) with single and roll media.  Since that's all I use, I'll probably just leave it since I really don't want a service call making things worse, and I don't print enough volume to care if the cassette works.  I also had to live through a hail of bullets from a friend who works for Epson UK, but that was an easy fix.

martinmitch

• http://www.crispynails.co.uk/
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 05:51:37 am »

Hello,

Have been using my iPF 5000 since middle of June 2006 in UK without any major problems,lots of sorting out printer profiles inks and paper for first  six weeks but very satisfied with my canon printer never a nozzle clog bleeding edge paper jam as with previous epson printers.
A very reliable machine that is always ready to print.
Canon appear to be a problem not their new types of printers!!!
Have never been in contact with canon tech' because last summer they understood less about the working iPF 5000 than the people purchasing them my working knowledge was developed by discussion on Luminous Landscape web site.
This wiki site is all one needs to understand running a canon iPF 5000 it may appear negative to some people because you are discussing problems but shared knowledge resolves problems and creates self confidence printing artwork with 12 inks at A2 paper size on wonderous hand made papers.

Bye
Martin
Crispy Nails Animation Studio.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up