Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D Dim Viewfinder  (Read 5389 times)

duranash

5D Dim Viewfinder
« on: April 07, 2007, 01:50:15 pm »

On another Forum, a lot of folks are complaining about the 5D viewfinder LCD/LED? information being very dim - to the point of almost being unable to read the exposure meter.  Anyone here having a similar problem.

I've just about decided to go ahead with a 5D purchase, in large part because I've heard almost NO complaints or problems about this camera.  Well other than a lot of dust complaints, but I'm shooting film and scanning, so I suspect I'll not complain quite as much as some folks!  I'm also guessing that the 5D will not be upgraded for awhile.

The dim viewfinder meter would be irritating to me.  I shoot a lot of landscapes and usually spot meter a number of locations in the scene.  It would be frustrating to have to look at the top LCD all the time.

DonWeston

5D Dim Viewfinder
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 06:04:36 pm »

On another Forum, a lot of folks are complaining about the 5D viewfinder LCD/LED? information being very dim - to the point of almost being unable to read the exposure meter.  Anyone here having a similar problem.

I've just about decided to go ahead with a 5D purchase, in large part because I've heard almost NO complaints or problems about this camera.  Well other than a lot of dust complaints, but I'm shooting film and scanning, so I suspect I'll not complain quite as much as some folks!  I'm also guessing that the 5D will not be upgraded for awhile.

The dim viewfinder meter would be irritating to me.  I shoot a lot of landscapes and usually spot meter a number of locations in the scene.  It would be frustrating to have to look at the top LCD all the time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111176\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Guess it is all a matter of taste. I have had a 5D for several months or more now, and am thrilled with it overall. Compared to my old FM prism it is both apparently darker and harder to see. Try before you buy if at all possible.YMMV.  Don't feel anyone can make this decision for you as what you would be comfortable with will be different from someone else. IF great image quality is desired, there are always tradeoffs.  The FM is 30 yrs old, have no idea why in a current $3k camera you can not have the best of everything, when the technology has been available for some time, esp. when no flash is taking up space, but that is the way it is. Why is there no split image screen option for this camera from Canon, or anyone else, or better AF ability, another series of  questions worth pondering for some of us. It is a wonderful professional camera that is capable of truly incredible imagery in the right hands. Enjoy...

cgeisler

5D Dim Viewfinder
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 10:25:09 pm »

The 5D info display panel is nearly impossible to see in bright light. If you do not wear glasses it is somewhat better. The display is both smaller in size and dimmer then my previous 20D or my 1D2. The viewfinder itself is not dim, just the info display. If you want big and bright info take a look through the finder of a Nikon D200.

Carl

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
5D Dim Viewfinder
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 10:50:58 pm »

Landscape like architecture is more of a studied approach than shooting sports etc.. I have 0 problems seeing or using the 5D controls for either except the LCD screen in bright light, but I carry a loupe around my neck for that situation. As for the dust issue, it is a myth that the 5D is worse than others. As long as you turn the camera off and point it down to change lenses, it is fine. I am a busy professional in the SW and change lenses often. The only time I have had problems is in windy conditions and forgeting to turn the camera off.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

gochugogi

• http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/
5D Dim Viewfinder
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 02:43:35 am »

My 5D viewfinder is among the brightest I have used. If I mount a F2.8 lens on my EOS 5D, Elan 7, Nikon FM3A and EOS 3, the 5D whips them all and good. Often folks speak fondly of their ultra bright F, FA or FM series body but forget their memories are based on a fast prime, e.g., 50 1.4, and not a slow zoom, e.g., 24-105 4L. Mount a slow zoom on that old FM, FA or F2 and it will look even darker. The 5D has a dad burn fine viewfinder. Top notch.

As for the exposure data backlight in the VF, I agree, it's a little on the dim side. Both my 10D and Elan 7 are a notch brighter. However I can read it without problems in the bright sunlight of Hawaii, so no biggie (of course no problem in dim light). Plus, I'm normally too busy shooting to worry about the the display. Sheesh, I just set it so no problem remembering my settings. Of course I don't smoke mary jane so the short term is still happenin'

However the rear TFT is too dim to use in bright light. Shooting on white sand beaches I can't even read the histogram. In fairness, most TFT are useless in bright sunlight but the 5D goes one better and is totally and completely useless. I normally chimp after the shoot so no biggie again, but if you grew up a digicam you'll feel naked.

Incidentally, no VF or CMOS dust problems for me. And my 5D is exactly 1 year old this month.
[span style='font-family:Impact']I'm try

Let Biogons be Biogons

• http://
5D Dim Viewfinder
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 10:02:10 am »

My 5D viewfinder is among the brightest I have used. If I mount a F2.8 lens on my EOS 5D, Elan 7, Nikon FM3A and EOS 3, the 5D whips them all and good. Often folks speak fondly of their ultra bright F, FA or FM series body but forget their memories are based on a fast prime, e.g., 50 1.4, and not a slow zoom, e.g., 24-105 4L. Mount a slow zoom on that old FM, FA or F2 and it will look even darker. The 5D has a dad burn fine viewfinder. Top notch.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111274\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, the viewfinder in the 5D I have comes up short compared to any of the Contax cameras I have used.  It's not as bright and really is no prize in this area.

I would also agree that the LED information on the viewfinder could be alot brighter.  I struggle to see it sometime providing yet another reason why the camera is frustrating to use at times.  It is just one of many issues I hope Canon addresses in an update or replacement for the 5D.

duranash

5D Dim Viewfinder
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 11:58:56 am »

"It is just one of many issues I hope Canon addresses in an update or replacement for the 5D."

I knew there was a reason why I've been waiting around!!  

Seriously - thanks for all the replies.  I had a chance to spend some time with a friends 5D, but in all honestly, we were mostly playing with lenses and I didn't spend any time evaluating the VF display.  I'll look at that issue again.

If I had crystal ball, and could predict when the 5D replacement might happen, I'd likely just wait before buying in hopes of some improvements.  Somehow - to me - it just feels like it will be some time before that happens.  Given my track record in predicting such things though............

Let Biogons be Biogons

• http://
5D Dim Viewfinder
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 12:48:34 pm »

If I had crystal ball, and could predict when the 5D replacement might happen, I'd likely just wait before buying in hopes of some improvements.  Somehow - to me - it just feels like it will be some time before that happens. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111487\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would be surprised if we see a 5D replacement this year.    It, of course, is possible. but I think it is more liekly we will see something next year.  It is still very competitive, and it is still pretty much the benchmark product in the industry.  Canon is going to milk it as a cash cow for a while longer before investing in a replacement.

duranash

5D Dim Viewfinder
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 02:36:14 pm »

.....and many folks are predicting a 1DsMII and D30 replacement first?
Pages: [1]   Go Up