Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need help with Hahnemuhle profiling  (Read 4336 times)

santodx5

I need help with Hahnemuhle profiling
« on: April 06, 2007, 05:54:00 pm »

Hi,

I just bought samples of Hahnemuhle papers and I am planning to build custom profile /w i1 to see what each paper can do. so far I have only make profile for fine art pearl.

I need some guide for the correct setting of ink (photo/matte) and media type for each paper before I measure the patches

Fine art pearl 285 -> semigloss /w photo black?
german etching 310
museum etching 350
natural art duo 216
photo rag 308
photo rag bright white 310
photo rag satin 310 -) enhance matte /w matte black?
torchon 285
william turner 310

I heard the only paper that uses PK is fine art pearl, others use MK. is this true?

Thank you,
Dan

KeithR

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 08:18:39 pm »

I heard the only paper that uses PK is fine art pearl, others use MK. is this true?

Thank you,
Dan

You are correct. the Han. FAP uses the photo black
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

MartinA

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 09:53:44 pm »

I profiled Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl for my R2400 last weekend with Eye-one.  I used the paper and ink settings recommended by the Hahnemuhle website for the profiles that they offer for this paper / printer combination, i.e., premium luster and PK.   So far I only printed one test image -- Andrew Rodney's (DigitalDog) image -- and the profile looks great to my eye.

santodx5

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 11:55:42 pm »

actually, according the instruction for fine art pearl, we need to use semigloss for media type, not luster

Does anyone else have any knowledge bout profiling Hans paper?

-Dan

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 07:53:31 am »

Hi Dan,

This is probably not the answer you're looking for, but if you're really keen on making good profiles, it's worth experimenting with the media types and driver settings to find the best tradeoff for each paper. Bill Atkinson describes the process in his Targets FAQ here:

http://homepage.mac.com/billatkinson/FileSharing2.html

It is sometimes (often?) the case that the driver settings suggested by the paper manufacturer are not actually the best ones to use.
Eric Chan

MartinA

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 02:08:44 pm »

Dan says, above, that Hahnemuhle recommends the semigloss media setting in the instructions for Fine Art Pearl.  I must have missed that.   What I found on Hahnemule's website is an instruction pamphlet that is downloadable from the ICC section.  It does say to use the Luster setting for their glossy papers but the pamphlet seems generic and is not specifically directed to Fine Art Pearl.  I have attached it for what it is worth.   Evidently I overlooked what Dan saw.  

Martin

santodx5

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 03:04:23 pm »

Martin, if you look at ur printing instruction for fine art, it said: for  fine art pearl use "premium semi-gloss photo paper"

I already know about Bill's page, i got his pacthes. The only problem i have is the printing setting for Hans paper. I want to know teh correct ink and media setting for each paper when I print my target patches.

I hope someone can help, I wish Hans tells us the setting for each paper!!!

Dan says, above, that Hahnemuhle recommends the semigloss media setting in the instructions for Fine Art Pearl.  I must have missed that.   What I found on Hahnemule's website is an instruction pamphlet that is downloadable from the ICC section.  It does say to use the Luster setting for their glossy papers but the pamphlet seems generic and is not specifically directed to Fine Art Pearl.  I have attached it for what it is worth.   Evidently I overlooked what Dan saw. 

Martin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111180\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

MartinA

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 03:08:57 pm »

Sure does, Dan.  I just didn't read carefully.  Thanks.  

Martin

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 09:40:54 pm »

I already know about Bill's page, i got his pacthes. The only problem i have is the printing setting for Hans paper. I want to know teh correct ink and media setting for each paper when I print my target patches.

Right, well, what I'm suggesting is that you do the experiment to determine what the correct ink/media settings are.

I realize you're hoping somebody else has already done the work and is willing to share that info. But if that's not the case then you have 2 options:

1. use the Hahnemuhle instructions as a guide (e.g., semi-gloss for fine art pearl)

pros: easy
  cons: perhaps not the best choice

2. do the experiments yourself

pros: may get better results
  cons: will take more of your time and use more paper (and therefore more $$$)
Eric Chan

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 12:23:38 pm »

Right, well, what I'm suggesting is that you do the experiment to determine what the correct ink/media settings are.

I realize you're hoping somebody else has already done the work and is willing to share that info. But if that's not the case then you have 2 options:

1. use the Hahnemuhle instructions as a guide (e.g., semi-gloss for fine art pearl)

pros: easy
  cons: perhaps not the best choice

2. do the experiments yourself

pros: may get better results
  cons: will take more of your time and use more paper (and therefore more $$$)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111246\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i use the luster setting with FAP and my custom profile n my 4800....works great...i choose that setting because it was the closest in paperthickness to the FAP (premium luster 260, FAP 285)...the semigloss is a lot thinner.....

either way, run a test and see what works....

a friend of mine also uses the premium luster setting for FAP (with a custom profile) on his 3800...
Pages: [1]   Go Up