Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ECI RGB and PhotoGamut RGB  (Read 3202 times)

juicy

ECI RGB and PhotoGamut RGB
« on: April 06, 2007, 02:22:48 pm »

Hi
I would be interested in reading any real world experiences on the use of ECI RGB and PhotoGamut RGB as a working space compared to Adobe RGB and ProPhoto RGB, any problems encountered and especially views on what kind of workflow or target product (magazine ad, fine art print etc) these color spaces suit best. It might also be useful to share knowledge on (dis-)advantages using these color spaces for editing certain kinds of image types, say saturated foliage in landscapes compared to skin tones in beauty photos or perhaps ventures into scene referred studio product photography.

Thanks,
J

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 03:17:01 pm »

I can only speak of the advantages of PhotoGamutRGB. I've never heard of ECI RGB, maybe you're referring to CIE RGB which I've used in an Auto Color and highlite white balance set experiment on the same scanned 48bit RAW file off an Epson 4870 flatbed. CIE RGB rendered differently from the othe color spaces using the same settings.

As for PhotoGamutRGB I've found it works good only for toning down highly saturated images like from minilab scans that've been written to its printer space. What it does is bring colors near 255 and 0 clipping that's prevalent in these types of scans down to earth but still retain reasonable saturation for smoother editing and transitioning when converting to the minilab's custom printer profile or back to sRGB.

It's pretty much like a maximized and neutralized table based gamut space representing a wide range of these types of lazer exposed silver halide printers.

juicy

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 04:30:40 pm »

Thanks for your reply!
Actually I meant "eci RGB", eci coming from European Color Initiative. More info in "http://www.eci.org/eci/en/044_working_colour_spaces.php".

Cheers,
J
Pages: [1]   Go Up