Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New replacement 3800, but somethings not right.  (Read 5923 times)

Bill Koenig

New replacement 3800, but somethings not right.
« on: April 06, 2007, 10:30:17 am »

I just received my replacement 3800, sure enough, came overnight Fed EX. Old problem gone, but, this printer, even though the prints look great has something odd going on.
It has a over active air pump, before I print the pump runs, while I'm printing, the pump kicks in about every 30 seconds, runs for about 2 seconds, this goes on until its finished printing.
I called Epson, the person I talked with said it shouldn't be running that much, he said it could be a bad ink cartridge, or something inside the printer. This problem has been documented, and I have a case number. He suggested that as I replace the ink cartridges, I will find the bad one, and if its something else, I would still be able to exchange it for a new one even if its months later.
If in fact it is a bad ink cartridge, then I should be able narrow it down by printing each color one at a time, if that is even possible, any ideas?
Last night I printed a 19x13 that had a lot dark colors, and after it was finished printing the pump ran for like 8 seconds, the printer was making some kind of printer noise and said it was printing even though it was finished printing, could this have been a cleaning cycle? I'm still very new to inkjet printing.
Anyway, does anyone have a idea how I could narrow this problem down, it could take quite some time use up all of the ink cartridges, just to find a bad one, and that's only if the problem is a bad ink cartridge, how could a ink cartridge leak air anyway?
Bill Koenig,

Gregs

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 10:58:31 am »

Odd. My new 3800 printer has a similar "pump" sound: every 4 passes of the print head,  I heard a groaning noise. Tech support said it was the pump, and normal. (They listened to the sound thru my phone!)

Bill Koenig

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 09:09:42 am »

Odd. My new 3800 printer has a similar "pump" sound: every 4 passes of the print head,  I heard a groaning noise. Tech support said it was the pump, and normal. (They listened to the sound thru my phone!)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111148\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tech support said it wasn't right, there sending me another printer, Ill be on my third when it gets here Tuesday. The pump on my printer was running way to often, compared to the first, which would charge when the printer first starts up, after which, I  rarely heard it after that.
Bill Koenig,

Bill Koenig

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 10:45:27 am »

Odd. My new 3800 printer has a similar "pump" sound: every 4 passes of the print head,  I heard a groaning noise. Tech support said it was the pump, and normal. (They listened to the sound thru my phone!)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111148\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gregs,

I just received my second replacement 3800 ( yeah, I'm on my third printer) but this one is a keeper.
I can tell you right now, from what you describe, this is not normal behavior, in fact, your pump is running about 4 times more than mine did.  
After loading all of the inks and pressurizing all of them, I heard the pump make ONLY one cycle, and that was after I ran  a nozzle check, as well as two 11x8.5 prints and one 25x17. This single pump cycle happened two hours after it pressurized the inks, and was half way through the last BIG print.
After turning the printer off, you can hear it dump the air, which is something I didn't hear  on my last defective printer.
If I were you, I'd be on the phone with Epson, and tell them this is not normal behavior.
All I can say is, thanks Epson for standing behind your product.
Bill Koenig,

Gregs

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 07:01:43 pm »

Bill

Thanks for your replly. Ill recontact Epson. My prints look fine, but the noise is worisome regarding the potential for future problems.
Pages: [1]   Go Up