Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First big print  (Read 3107 times)

drew2285

First big print
« on: April 06, 2007, 01:42:16 am »

Hey guys,
I just printed out my first large (17x22) image on my ipf5000.  It turned out pretty bad looking, it doesn't look sharp at all.  So what I started out with was a scanned image about 8x10 scanned in at 660.  I then blew it up in photoshop to about 17x20.  I kept my resolution at 660.  Then in the print plugin, Highest gradation 16 bit and highest input resolution 600 ppi were used.  Sharpening was done with pixel genius.  Here's the catch, I also had a 8.2 megapixel image collaged in the scene.  However, I forgot to change my resolution on it and it was left at 240ppi when it was imported into the other scene.  Also, I left my image in 8bit mode but used 16bit driver, could this affect quality?I know I should have changed it to 660 to match the other image.  But my the collage as a whole looks pretty bad.  It's not everything's blurry, but it's like it looks too grainy.  The final print just looks really grainy.  It should look a lot smoother than it really is.  I know these are basic questions but I'm pretty new to printers.  Anyone have any advice?
thanks
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 02:09:16 am by drew2285 »

John Hollenberg

First big print
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 10:20:45 am »

The final print just looks really grainy.  It should look a lot smoother than it really is.  I know these are basic questions but I'm pretty new to printers.  Anyone have any advice?

Yes.  Take a known good image (e.g., a good quality Canon 5D file) and print it to see if the problem is with the printer, or with your image.  Also, check the Wiki at:

http://canonipf5000.wikispaces.com

--John

drew2285

First big print
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 01:01:49 pm »

Well, I just ran some test prints on a known good print.  Print was 600ppi, input resolution 600ppi and 16 bit gradation.  Printer output resolution 2400x1200 16 pass.  Problem turned out to be the Highest Gradation 16bit.  The print turns out very grainy.  Can anyone explain this to me?
thanks

pobrien3

First big print
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 01:34:02 pm »

Well, I just ran some test prints on a known good print.  Print was 600ppi, input resolution 600ppi and 16 bit gradation.  Printer output resolution 2400x1200 16 pass.  Problem turned out to be the Highest Gradation 16bit.  The print turns out very grainy.  Can anyone explain this to me?
thanks
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Are you scanning existing prints, or film?  If you're scanning a print and doubling it in size to re-print it, then there are several factors involved in determining the quality of the final output, even before it gets to the printer: the scanner quality, your scan settings, the image source (film, magazine or photographic print?).

John's suggestion is a good one.  Print a known, good quality source as he suggests, then you'll get a clue whether the issue is with the source capture, the upsizing or the printer.  If you don't have a good source image of your own, DP Review gives 5D samples [a href=\"http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/canoneos5d_samples/]here[/url].

drew2285

First big print
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 01:40:28 pm »

The problem is using the 16bit input plugin.  For some reason it gives really bad results. Prints are too dark, and lot of weird looking white "grain" in them.

John Hollenberg

First big print
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 01:54:06 pm »

The problem is using the 16bit input plugin.  For some reason it gives really bad results. Prints are too dark, and lot of weird looking white "grain" in them.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111015\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No reports of any similar problems, so I have to assume you either aren't doing something right, or there is something faulty with the installation.  What version of the plugin do you have?  One thing that could be causing the problem is the fact that the plugin does not use Black Point Compensation with Relative Rendering Intent.

--John

drew2285

First big print
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 02:27:23 pm »

Yeah, I think I must be doing something wrong.  Is there a wiki on the plugin?
thanks

John Hollenberg

First big print
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 03:46:11 pm »

Yeah, I think I must be doing something wrong.  Is there a wiki on the plugin?
thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111026\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, but a few people have reported various kinds of anomalies with various iPF5000 components that were fixed by a reinstall.  I would suggest reinstalling plugin 2.03 as a start.

--John
Pages: [1]   Go Up