Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange Experience With Canoga Camera  (Read 4836 times)

FastGlass

Strange Experience With Canoga Camera
« on: April 06, 2007, 12:14:58 am »

Hi All. This is my first post here, and maybe I should calm down a bit before telling this tale, naw, I'm going to write it out any way.

I called Canoga, after checking them out on the web for customer satisfaction results, which were all positive, and ordered a Canon 1Ds Mark II body, a 85mm f/1.2, and a 24mm f/1.4 lens.

The sales guy wanted me to order "on the web site", but I told him I was more comfortable dealing with a live person, because I specifically wanted to be assured that they would not send me a re-packaged body or lens that had been demoed or returned for some reason.

He took my order and transfered me to the finance dept. where I gave my CC info to one of the owners, chatted a bit, was told the equipment would was in stock, that she would personally make sure that it was fresh and un-opened, and ship tommorrow.

Several hours later I got a call from a guy who told me that he wanted me to order from the web, so I would see their "terms and conditions", and it was important that I ordered from the web because the order was large and this was my first order with them.

He had not even tried to run the charges on my CC. So, after trying to discuss why he would insist on me re-placing the order that had already been placed on their web site, I canceled the order.

Stranger still, when I checked the web site, NONE the items I wanted were even listed on the web site and I would have to have spoken to someone to place the order anyway.

Do any of you know where I can order this equipment and be assured that it is un-opened?

I feel better now, and hope someone will give me a reliable source for Canon gear.

Thanks and Best Regards

BradSmith

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 02:29:41 am »

If you're in the general Los Angeles area (ie, where Canoga Camer is located), most serious photo people buy from Samy's or Calumet, both in Hollywood.
And they both have web sites.
Brad

FastGlass

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 10:10:41 am »

Thanks. I'm in Alaska, so I have to buy all photo equipment via mail order.

I have received Canon 500 f/4 and 600 f/4 from some big dealers in NY that either didn't focus properly or were not as sharp as they should have been. One of the dealers refunded my money, but they would not continue doing business with me, I just lived with the 500 lens that could have been sharper, then sold all of my equipment in frustration. I originally had a Canon 500 f/4 to die for, so I know what they can do with an image.

Is there some magic pass word that pros use to get the really sharp lenses, or can they go to the store and cherry pick the lenses? I'm trying to turn pro, but I need the glass to do it.

All help and advise is appreciated.

Thanks and best regards.

paulmoorestudio

• http://paulmoorestudio.com
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 09:32:43 am »

nobody in retail sales is more consciencous than the family run business, canoga cameras..I trust them completely - sorry but I don't know you and your post is what seems strange to me.
 Because of your past canon experience I would suggest you need to get yourself to a store and try one out before buying..but then it would be opened and could be a deal breaker. in my 30 years in photography I have never heard such nonsense.. just because a lense has been out of a box does not make it unsharp, companies like canon,leica etc have very good qc..a lemon is rare unopened or not.
good luck on your quest - pm

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:53:45 am »

in my 30 years in photography I have never heard such nonsense.. just because a lense has been out of a box does not make it unsharp, companies like canon,leica etc have very good qc..a lemon is rare unopened or not

No, the original poster has some good points; it's not nonsense.  Being in an opened box does not suddenly make it unsharp of course, but a lens that has been returned has been returned for a reason, and there's a reasonable chance that reason is because someone has tried multiple lenses and returned the worse ones.  The original poster doesn't want to end up with someone else's reject.

Also, I'd dispute that lemons are rare, just on the basis that the second lens I ever bought (and I've only bought five total) was one.  I got a "lemon" Canon, a particular lens that other people regard relatively highly for a non-L lens, but mine was quite obviously blurry in the corners compared with other much cheaper (non-Canon) lenses I've used since.  Maybe I'm a statistical anomaly, but I doubt it.

The original poster has some valid concerns.  Unfortunately, I am no help in answering them.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis
Pages: [1]   Go Up