Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iMac monitor calibration problems  (Read 8021 times)

jacob polatin

iMac monitor calibration problems
« on: April 04, 2007, 11:24:30 pm »

I am new to Mac and have an iMac 24. I have not been able to calibrate my monitor successfully. Based on the review on Luminous Landscape and a few other sites which specifically mention its particular ability to calibrate this very bright iMac monitor, I purchased Coloreyes and a ColorVision  device. When I calibrate my monitor, the profile validation results are off the charts. For example, the average DE is 15.81 and the Maximum DE is 75.26. I read somewhere that these are each supposed to be less than one. In the Coloreyes review on this site, there is an example of the Profile Validation with green, yellow and red boxes going from left to right; I really only get the red box. For the three color bars at the bottom of the graph, red goes all the way across in one long bar (75.26), green is barely visible at 1.08 and blue does not even appear.
I am just a simple amateur who wants to calibrate his monitor. This is way over my head and I do not understand the implications of any of it. What are the practical consequences of the validation being so odd? The actual picture on my monitor looks wonderful. Is my monitor or video card not working correctly? Could the ColorVision device not be working correctly? I have tried all different settings, e.g. L*, D65, cd 120, monitor calibrates the brightness. Room lights on; room lights off. Am I not setting the parameters correctly? Should I buy other calibration software? My prints are much too red but I always thought that this is a printer profile issue; however, with the preponderance of red in the validation results and the small amount of green and no blue I have to wonder if this is related to printing. In any event, I understand that you cannot get good prints if your monitor is not calibrated correctly and, apparently, mine is not.
I apologize for the long description and would appreciate any advice you can provide.
Thanks.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 03:22:34 am »

Message Jack Bingham here on the forum or call Coloreyes. They have excellent real-human support.

Edmund

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110712\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 03:23:04 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

jacob polatin

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 02:16:37 pm »

Thanks for your reply. I have already contacted Mr. Bingham and his asssociate. They made a few suggestions after reviewing the calibration results and suggested some alternative settings and reducing the light in the room but, unfortunately, those did not work. As best as I can tell, they think that the monitor is defective. However, I don't understand how that can be when I get a perfectly good image on the screen. and the prints are not too bad. It's just that the reds and oranges are out of control. This forum seems to attract sophisticated members so I thought I would see if anyone here had any ideas.

dcp

• http://www.davidcheok.com
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 03:24:35 pm »

Thanks for your reply. I have already contacted Mr. Bingham and his asssociate. They made a few suggestions after reviewing the calibration results and suggested some alternative settings and reducing the light in the room but, unfortunately, those did not work. As best as I can tell, they think that the monitor is defective. However, I don't understand how that can be when I get a perfectly good image on the screen. and the prints are not too bad. It's just that the reds and oranges are out of control. This forum seems to attract sophisticated members so I thought I would see if anyone here had any ideas.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110835\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Have you tried leaving the monitor to 'warm-up' for at least 30 minutes before calibrating? Even LCDs need to warm up. Also, keep the monitor brightness to minimum and your target luminance to about 110 cd/m2. Its also possible that the calibrator itself is defective. Try find another calibrator and see if the results are the same. If so.. then it maybe the LCD itself.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 03:26:17 pm by dcp »
2x Canon EOS[span style='color:red']1[/s

jacob polatin

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 11:44:05 am »

For all those using an iMac 24 and considering using ColorEyes for calibration, it is an excellent choice. I was having some difficulties but discovered that my problems were caused by a defective puck which the company has graciously agreed to replace.
Jack Polatin

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 11:18:21 am »

I profiled the 24" with Monaco Optix... it looks great and prints do match the screen. No issue with the screen brightness whatsoever. Actually, the suggested brightness position (by Monaco calibrator) is only half-way from the maximum. I did get the best video card offered by Apple, NVidia GeForce 7600 GT with 256 MB.
Pages: [1]   Go Up