Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flying Saucers captured in digital  (Read 7166 times)

Ray

Flying Saucers captured in digital
« on: April 04, 2007, 11:02:09 pm »

Don't believe me, eh! Have a look at this.

[attachment=2239:attachment]

You can see, as the first ship is close to touching ground there's a sister ship following close behind.

Okay! Seriously, this is an example of lens flare with the Sigma 15-30mm at 15mm.

Thought I'd just show it for the record.  

russell a

• www.russarmstrong.com
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 08:44:02 am »

That is the Nastiest flare I've ever seen!  Are you sure it wasn't just an errant moong dal pancake blowing around?

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 09:18:50 am »

That is the Nastiest flare I've ever seen!  Are you sure it wasn't just an errant moong dal pancake blowing around?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110780\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, Ray told the truth first time round before denying it for security reasons: if in that mystical part of the world, real flying saucers are de rigueur, commonplace, even.

Rob C

JoeTree

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 08:12:57 am »

That lens is seriously bad in the flare department. I got rid of mine because of it.

Ray

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 08:31:45 am »

That lens is seriously bad in the flare department. I got rid of mine because of it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112181\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Alternatively, one could use a big grey card, carried in a large pocket in one's photographer's vest, as an additional shade to the lens when shooting near the sun. The grey card might also come in handy to get accurate color balance now and again.  

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 12:05:54 pm »

Alternatively, one could use a big grey card, carried in a large pocket in one's photographer's vest, as an additional shade to the lens when shooting near the sun. The grey card might also come in handy to get accurate color balance now and again. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112183\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A grey flag, then?

Rob C

Ray

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 11:11:11 pm »

A grey flag, then?

Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A grey flag? I'm not sure that taking a close-up of the grey card held in front of the lens at arm's length would provide an accurate color balance. Doesn't it have to be placed in the scene somewhere?

The problem with the Sigma 15-30 is that the front element of the lens protrudes greatly. It has great curvature. It's almost as curved as a tungsten filament light bulb. In order to avoid vignetting in the corners at 15mm with FF sensors (or 35mm film) the fixed lens hood is particularly short with a sort of serrated edge.

I usually try to place my hand between the direct rays of the sun and the lens, but some sort of card would be better. I'm annoyed that the following shot shows a finger tip in the top left corner   .

[attachment=2290:attachment]
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 11:23:23 pm by Ray »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 12:07:01 am »

I'm annoyed that the following shot shows a finger tip in the top left cornerĀ   .
[attachment=2290:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112305\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Ray,

I think you may have a great idea here. The finger in the corner looks much nicer than the usual Copyright watermark other photogs use. But I think you should get the finger a little better in focus so the fingerprint can be used to identify the photographer definitively.  
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 12:07:29 am by EricM »
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Ray

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 10:37:29 am »

I think you may have a great idea here. The finger in the corner looks much nicer than the usual Copyright watermark other photogs use. But I think you should get the finger a little better in focus so the fingerprint can be used to identify the photographer definitively.   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112308\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric,
Now that would be really something, to get a sharp image from 6" to infinity on a 35mm sensor. Maybe we are due for another thread on DoF   .

halcm

• http://pbase
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 07:29:44 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=112183\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
 excuse me, no one here quite gets it. they are in fact as you earthniks call "flying saucers". they are from the planet narcon if you look closly you can make out the phlglem(license plate) of the planet narcon,territory of fiznnen99. get on the program
Pages: [1]   Go Up