Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R1800 Profile Problem... Makes No Sense  (Read 2258 times)

convergent

R1800 Profile Problem... Makes No Sense
« on: April 04, 2007, 10:29:02 pm »

I am just getting started with making profiles and I've got a situation here that doesn't make any sense at all.  I calibrated my Dell 30" LCD with a Spyder2.  I calibrated my Epson V750 scanner with MonacoEZColor.  I am not trying to create profiles for my Epson R1800 printer using MonacoEZColor.  I created a profile for Illford Printasia Premium Photo Gloss a few weeks ago and it works fine.  I just created a profile for Epson Ultra Premium Presentation Matte and it is also fine.  I created a profile for Illford Printasia Premium Pearl and it is way, way, way too dark and has a color cast.

I am trying to print from Lightroom to test.  The print looks great on the Illford Photo Gloss or the Epson Matte.  If I print to Illford Pearl using the Illford Pearl profile that I created, its way off.  If I print to Illford Pearl using the Illford Gloss profile, it is really close.  I have tried to redo the profile and got the same results.

I'm new to this and its driving me crazy.  Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

pixel wrangler

• http://www.homepage.mac.com/fastpics
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 12:58:21 am »

I know this is going to sound obvious, but are you certain you're not double profiling somewhere? I just got a refurb R1800 as an upgrade from my 1280, and the first couple prints were like from another planet. Rechecked all my print settings and found one in the print dialog that had reverted from "no color management" to "Vivid". Yikes.

Maybe you should try to print the document from Photoshop rather than Lightroom. If you can get a good print through PS then you can probably eliminate the profile as a variable.

Good Luck,

ron

convergent

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 09:22:36 am »

I know this is going to sound obvious, but are you certain you're not double profiling somewhere? I just got a refurb R1800 as an upgrade from my 1280, and the first couple prints were like from another planet. Rechecked all my print settings and found one in the print dialog that had reverted from "no color management" to "Vivid". Yikes.

Maybe you should try to print the document from Photoshop rather than Lightroom. If you can get a good print through PS then you can probably eliminate the profile as a variable.

Good Luck,

ron
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110739\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ron, thinks for the idea.  I don't think that is the problem because I ran through this numerous times here.  I profiled one paper then printed to it... looks great... then turned around and did another... looks bad... then another great... then repeated the bad one... still bad.  I am guessing its the profile thats bad, because I can just change the profile only (swapping Gloss for Pearl) and it looks pretty close.  By the way, I'm turning everything off in the R1800 driver and telling it to do nothing (such as Vivid), and then telling Lightroom to use the profile.  If I tell Lightroom to do nothing and take the default in driver of "Vivid", then it looks much better, but still not dead on.

jpgentry

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 10:55:54 pm »

I have Monaco EZcolor and let me just say... You need PrintFix Pro.  You want to be serious about your printing there is no other solution that comes close (for the money.)  Look on Ebay as you may find a better price.

-Jonathan

P.S.  I shold add that if you bought EZcolor with Optix XR it's not a total loss.  The monitor profiler is excellent.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 10:56:39 pm by jpgentry »
Pages: [1]   Go Up