Poll

After using the Epson 3800 for more than a month ...

I have had no technical issues.
- 40 (66.7%)
I have had some minor issues but am overall satisfied.
- 16 (26.7%)
I have had major issues which make me question my purchase.
- 4 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: POLL: Printing Experience with Epson 3800  (Read 33344 times)

spherop

POLL: Printing Experience with Epson 3800
« on: April 04, 2007, 12:57:51 pm »

I have been mulling over a decision on purchasing this printer. My main concern is I want to be confident that it will be relatively problem free. I have read extensively and it's hard to get a real accurate read on how frequent the various feed, or print quality problems crop up.

I post this poll in the hopes to help myself and others get a good read on the overall reliability of this machine.

Please feel free to post papers you are using along with your vote as that might add yet more light.

Also please do not vote if you have not used the machine fairly extensively as that will not help the data quality.

Thx.
photoworks.......@
www.danielnewman.info

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:40:24 pm »

I chose the middle option (minor technical issues) and feel that I should clarify.

I ran into a problem where the print head would not park reliably when turning the printer off. If unfixed, this would be considered a major technical issue. I called Epson Support and they sent me a new 3800 via FedEx Standard Overnight and it arrived the next day.

Aside from this, I have had no technical issues and would like to applaud Epson Support for its quick and prompt service.

I assume you have seen these pages:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/index.html
http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/faq.html
Eric Chan

spherop

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 05:15:21 pm »

yes, thanks for pointing out the great faq for this printer. a great resource to learn more and guide users. thanks for your vote-comment.

I chose the middle option (minor technical issues) and feel that I should clarify.

I ran into a problem where the print head would not park reliably when turning the printer off. If unfixed, this would be considered a major technical issue. I called Epson Support and they sent me a new 3800 via FedEx Standard Overnight and it arrived the next day.

Aside from this, I have had no technical issues and would like to applaud Epson Support for its quick and prompt service.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110641\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
photoworks.......@
www.danielnewman.info

Kuryan Thomas

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 07:13:19 pm »

No problems at all for me. I run the 3800 from ImagePrint. I print on Hahnemühle Photo Rag 308, Pictorico Gloss Film, Moab Kokopelli, and Epson Premium Luster.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 07:14:25 pm by Kuryan Thomas »

BarryS

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 09:16:39 pm »

No problems, my 3800 is rockin'.  Tried a bunch of papers, all have fed well and I haven't met a bad manufacturer's profile yet.  Number one paper favorite= Moab Entrada Natural 300 gsm--luxurious, thick paper fairly similar to HM Photo Rag, but a little creamier toned because of no OBA's and a great price.  Number two favorite= Inkjet Art Micro Ceramic Luster--aka Epson premium Luster.  Amazing price, 17 X 25" sheets and great Pk performance.  

***Support and Request 17 X 25" sheets in your favorite papers. ***
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 09:17:07 pm by BarryS »

mercurius_1

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 09:25:26 pm »

Please feel free to post papers you are using along with your vote as that might add yet more light.

Also please do not vote if you have not used the machine fairly extensively as that will not help the data quality.

Thx.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110609\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've tried a variety of papers and so far I like the Crane Museo (and Museo Max) as well as the Hahnemuhle Photo Rag papers. No technical problems so far despite trying quite a few different papers. I did buy the printer with an extended 3yr. warranty, as it seems that lately the consumer electronics in our household have been prone to glitches and I just didn't want to deal with anything like that 366 days into owning this printer.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 04:34:21 pm »

This is my fourth or fifth Epson photo printer, and I was amazed by how trouble-free it was to set up and get good-looking prints, unlike any of the previous ones.  The networking could have been a problem, but my spouse (who is our home network sys admin   ) got it working quite quickly.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

duranash

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 04:44:03 pm »

If anyone is having significant problems.......I don't want to hear about it!!  I just ordered a 3800 last Tuesday
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:44:41 pm by duranash »

picnic

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 06:06:13 pm »

I voted 'no technical issues'.  On top of that---I bought the 3800 for 2 main reasons to replace the 2200---the media size and mono.  I love the (toned) mono prints.  I just print in Adobe RGB and WYSIWYG.  I'm about ready to buy Hawks Mt. natural Condor which is a lovely fineart paper without OBAs.  I like a number of other papers too but chose it because its available in 17 x 25.  Use IJA microceramic luster (roll for now though its available in 17 x 25 now also--which allows me to cut to size---11 x 1, 8 x 11.5, etc)  and have sampled a number of others.  I really like Innova semimatte and may use it for a boxed portfolio.

Diane

RickE

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 10:05:57 am »

I added a vote to the "minor problems" category, and I also would like to commend Epson for their thechical support. I am using my third 3800. The first was DOA with a major mechanical problem. Epson replaced it immediately. The second one arrived with a significant clogging problem that could not be cleared after wasting a tremendous amount of ink. Epson again replaced it, no questions asked. My third one is performing perfectly. (I'm sure Epson doesn't reveal these type of statistics, but it would be interesting to know if the failure rate for this printer is comparable to its others.) So, after the false starts, I'm pleased with my purchase.

pflower

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 10:17:51 am »

So far 350 sheets of 13x19 Photo Rag, 4 17 inch rolls of the same (Cut into 17x26 inch sheets), 100 sheets of A3 Innova Ultrasmooth Gloss and about 100 A4 Photorag.  Never remember to turn the machine off or sometimes forget to turn it on or whatever - i.e. no consistency.

No clogs no problems no fuss.  Great prints and great printer.

henk

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 11:31:45 am »

Touch wood, so far no problems. I have the printer now for some months and are ready to change some of the carts.
More than 50% of my printing is B&W and that is fabulous!
Color is, in my opinion, more difficult. What I see is that you need very good profiles to print WYSIWYG. Where my former EPS 2200 was more fore giving!!
I print B&W on Ilford  Galerie smooth pearl and Color on EPS enhanced matte, Ilford  Galerie smooth pearl and Inova FibaPrint white matte.
 The EPS EM is very wet after printing. Any ideas?

I had a 1270 who died while printing and repair cost were just under a new 2200. The 2200 died in the same way. Both after 3 years. Is this a build-in Epson feature?  

Henk

picnic

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 01:20:34 pm »

I had a 1270 who died while printing and repair cost were just under a new 2200. The 2200 died in the same way. Both after 3 years. Is this a build-in Epson feature?  

Henk
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110997\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think so LOL.  MY 1280 is still going---and I just 'retired' it.  My 2200, bought as one of the first, is still printing fine also---but not getting much time.  Its sort of a 'backup' since I have room to have it side by side--the 3800.

Its time now to replace a few 3800 carts.  I bought them and have been waiting--still not ready, but a couple of the blacks (I print a lot of monos) are getting low.  Got the printer in December (actually maybe Nov).

Diane
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 06:58:21 pm by picnic »

Sal Baker

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 01:23:49 pm »

Touch wood, so far no problems. I have the printer now for some months and are ready to change some of the carts.
More than 50% of my printing is B&W and that is fabulous!
Color is, in my opinion, more difficult. What I see is that you need very good profiles to print WYSIWYG. Where my former EPS 2200 was more fore giving!!
I print B&W on Ilford  Galerie smooth pearl and Color on EPS enhanced matte, Ilford  Galerie smooth pearl and Inova FibaPrint white matte.
 The EPS EM is very wet after printing. Any ideas?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110997\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It must be an optional feature that I didn't pay for.   My 1270 is still going strong after 6 years.  In fact, if it would only die I could more easily justify the new printer I want.

Sal

tbonanno

• Tony Bonanno Photography, LLC
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 06:29:13 pm »

I use the Epson 3800 alongside the Canon iPF5000.  The 3800 is used primarily for cut sheet smaller than 8x10.  I've had no problems with the printer at all with only two minor nozzle clogs since late January.  I also like the fact that bronzing and gloss differential is practically invisible on resin coated papers.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 06:30:09 pm by tbonanno »
Tony Bonanno Photography
ASMP Profession

picnic

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2007, 07:00:25 pm »

II also like the fact that bronzing and gloss differential is practically invisible on resin coated papers.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111073\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Isn't that terrific??!?   I didn't note that--that along with the lack of metamerism and the fact I can print WYSIWYG toned monos make me really like this printer.  Unless something catastrophic happens, it will be around for a long time.

Diane

Tango_01

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 03:17:39 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110641\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric, Just wondering how did you find out that the print head did not park correctly?

I've had my 3800 for one month. Bought it at B&H and as usual they ssipped fast and packed in a double box with inflatable insulation.

I'm in love with this printer.

Peter Langham

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 05:00:21 pm »

I have had a 3800 since the first or second week they were out.  I have had no problems.  The very occasional clog is cleared with one cleaning.  I only print B&W with it.  ABW is great.  I am now playing with QTR for the split tonong and hopefully more intuitive tone (color) control.  I have just made a set of profiles for Innova ultrsmooth glossy and I am about to begin playing to see what kind or results I can get.  I have printed on Photorag and Innova semi matte so far and I am a very happy camper.

Peter

TOF guy

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 09:45:26 pm »

I've had no problem at all with this printer. No clogging at all, in particular. I've used the printer sparingly so far ~ once a week.

Overall very happy with the printer, except for ....

On the downside, the issue of switching between matte black and photo black has been more irritating - and costly - than anticipated. As others have suggested, I wish that the driver had the option of warning you if the paper selection is going to trigger an ink switch. A few times I've realized too late that I didn't pick the right paper. With my older Canon i9900 printer, I would just cancel the print immediately before any ink is laid out on the paper, and that's that. Not so with the 3800: the ink switch starts very quickly, and it doesn't look like there is a way to stop (or I haven't found it). So let's say I want to print matte black ink. The printer is ready to use that ink. So far so good. Then I click okay on the printing menu and realize ... too late .. that the paper selection in the driver requires photo black ink. So I cancel the operation. It doesn't matter, now the printer is switching to the wrong ink ... which means that I have to switch it back again right away to be able to get my picture out. A back and forth swap between the two type of inks for not even one print. Ouch!  

With time I suspect that I'll learn to be more careful. But for the time being, what a very annoying feature!

Thierry
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 09:46:59 pm by TOF guy »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2007, 10:34:36 pm »

Eric, Just wondering how did you find out that the print head did not park correctly?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111535\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It made a weird sound when turning off as the print head was sliding back to the right. I suspect it hadn't parked properly, though I wasn't sure. The next I turned it on, there was the same weird grinding sound and the print head refused to move. Then I got a Service Call Error (with a specific number) and had to call Epson support. They told me the print head wasn't parked properly. Eventually this problem actually rectified itself but it was intermittent enough that they thought it was better to send a replacement.

No problems with the new one.
Eric Chan
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up