Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Files with same name, diff extensions  (Read 6796 times)

stevenrk

• http://
Files with same name, diff extensions
« on: April 03, 2007, 11:29:12 pm »

Tim Grey's daily e-mail points out something that had stumped me.  Didn't realize that it was designed in, rather than something that I was not understanding.  Anyone know if there is an answer that lets you use LR without having to go back and rename?

Here's a quote from his e-mail that presents the issue (FYI, not of interest to me, but he offers a prize to anyone with an answer that allows you to import files with the same name and different extensions -- other than having to go in and rename them):

"You are correct that if there are two files with the same filename but different extensions, Lightroom will only allow you to import one of those images. When you are importing a folder full of images, it will favor the RAW capture. That means if you capture RAW+JPEG, only the RAW will get imported. If you are working with images you had been working on prior to using Lightroom, and you already have various versions of the file (for example, a PSD with multiple layers, a TIFF file, and a RAW capture), only one of those files can be present in Lightroom.

I do agree that this isn't the best solution, or that at the very least Lightroom should provide an option to the user to decide whether they want these "duplicates" (which aren't duplicates at all by virtue of the fact that they are different files with different file formats, even if they are from the same source). I find it odd, for example, that you can import a Photoshop PSD file (presumably your master image with all the layers intact), but can't later import the original RAW capture that was the source for that PSD file."

Steven
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 11:30:55 pm by stevenrk »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 02:08:09 am »

The control applies upon import. So before you import them, use Explorer/Finder and move the files into a subfolder - then move them where you want once they're in LR. Some however consider it good practice to separate originals and derivative files.

Adobe now understand that this isn't right, and I don't expect this restriction will last long.

John

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 02:58:52 pm »

The control applies upon import. So before you import them, use Explorer/Finder and move the files into a subfolder - then move them where you want once they're in LR. Some however consider it good practice to separate originals and derivative files.

Adobe now understand that this isn't right, and I don't expect this restriction will last long.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank goodness. This broke my entire cataloging paradigm. I refuse to segregate these into subfolders, so I've been stuck. Until Grey's email came out this morning, I thought I screwed something up.

When is 1.1 coming out?
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 06:10:16 pm »

Some however consider it good practice to separate originals and derivative files.
Why, do they like sitting in front of computers for even longer than before. Besides Bridge 2 teats them as paired [handy for renaming]and ironically cannot separate them into diofferent folders.

Adobe now understand that this isn't right, and I don't expect this restriction will last long.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110521\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
And how do you know this? Adobe have been very quiet about this foul up.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 06:21:00 pm »

Why, do they like sitting in front of computers for even longer than before?
No, because many people prefer to backup derivatives and originals in separate streams. Read Peter Krogh's DAM Book and what he calls the bucket principle.

And how do you know this? Adobe have been very quiet about this foul up.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110663\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Anyone with ears can listen to Podcast 29. Secondly, I am under an Adobe NDA.

John

msmack

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 01:28:00 pm »

Quote from: johnbeardy,Apr 4 2007, 03:21 PM
No, because many people prefer to backup derivatives and originals in separate streams. Read Peter Krogh's DAM Book and what he calls the bucket principle.

John
\

New to Forum.  Where can I find podcast 29.  Thanks.
Merrill

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 02:22:42 pm »

msmack

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 12:12:09 pm »

John:

Thanks, I got it.  Now how to get to the previous podcast.  If they are on iTunes, what is the name of the podcast?  
Thanks for your time.

Merrill

msmack

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 12:15:13 pm »

John:

Found the podcast subscription.   Didn't know how to delet my post.

Merrill

Jim White

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 04:04:05 pm »

Hello John
I have done everything I can think of and can't access the podcasts on Lightroom-news.
I can find the site. I have downloaded and installed, and opened an account with iTunes. (PC, so can't get imac.)
Clicking on anything on the page that says "Lightroom podcasts" takes me to the podcast index page.
Going to "Read Article" I can find the link:
http://rss.stage.adobe.com/www/special/light_room.rss
If I paste that into my browser I get the message:

We're sorry, you are not allowed access to the service you requested.
If you feel you should have access, please contact the appropriate authorities and give them your IP address: 82.(etc.etc.)

Thank you for your patience.

If I try to paste that link into iTunes under "Subscribe to podcast" I get the message that this is not a valid podcast reference.
THe podcast is not in iTunes shop.
Do you have any suggestions, please?
(Other than "buy a mac. I am going to, but it'll be a month or so yet!)

Many thanks
Jim White

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 05:38:39 pm »

Jim

No need to buy a Mac. Follow the link from LRnews and you get to George Jardine's own site - http://www.mulita.com/blog/. He's hosting the podcast at his own iDisk - download it to your PC and play in with Windows Media Player.

John

francofit

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 05:40:04 pm »

Hello John
I have done everything I can think of and can't access the podcasts on Lightroom-news.
http://rss.stage.adobe.com/www/special/light_room.rss[/url]
If I paste that into my browser I get the message:

We're sorry, you are not allowed access to the service you requested.
If you feel you should have access, please contact the appropriate authorities and give them your IP address: 82.(etc.etc.)

Do you have any suggestions, please?
(Other than "buy a mac. I am going to, but it'll be a month or so yet!)

Many thanks
Jim White
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I (PC and IE 7) got it here:
[a href=\"http://rss.adobe.com/www/special/light_room.rss]http://rss.adobe.com/www/special/light_room.rss[/url]

Hope it works for you too.

BTW: with the link mentioned there, I had experienced the same problem, then I used my own RSS feed link and it worked: that's a slightly different address.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 05:46:19 pm by francofit »
Franco

Jim White

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 06:09:10 pm »

It did work! many thanks francofit!  
It's busy downloading all the podcasts, (so it says!), and it's getting late, so I'm going to let it run overnight and have a look in the morning. (Yes, I sometimes let my XP run all night!)  
Thanks again
Jim

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 09:43:50 pm »

No, because many people prefer to backup derivatives and originals in separate streams.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110666\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Which adds a lot more time to workflow and if that was the reason behind Adobe's decision, why does Bridge do things completely differently. RAW+Jpegs are linked which make renaming much easier, but also impossble to separate within Bridge. Besides not everyone likes having sparate folders for each type of file.

Read Peter Krogh's DAM Book and what he calls the bucket principle.
I have read some of his ideas, but I wasn't too impressed with the somewhat dogmatic approach. Some filing methods work better for some people, than others. We all think, organize and remember things slightly differently. I seem to recall his system being a tad geeky and more suited to computers than humans. But it was sometime ago I read his stuff.

Don't have time to bother fiddling with podcasts, too busy sorting files into unecessary folders!  Esp. when the site linked above, decides my browser is not good enough to use the website and unecessarily insists I a use an inferior product instead.
I kinda knew you were a bit Adobe.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 09:48:30 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 04:56:33 am »

Oi, I'm just telling you how it is, and going as far as I can under an NDA (I'm a bit Microsoft too, and am writing this on an Apple-brand computer). I'm not necessarily agreeing with how it is in v1 and, for all you know, I may have screamed about this specific issue in the private beta process. You'll have to guess. Just back off.

People want to do things both ways for good reasons. If you can't understand that, you may be extrapolating your own particular needs and practices a bit too widely.

The original poster referred to originals plus derivatives, and that is what I initially addressed. When your output is 16 bit PSD or TIF files, for some people it makes lots of sense to keep the derivatives separately and find them via metadata. OTOH some people find it better to store them in the same folders - that's their prerogative and it's not necessarily bad practice. In any case I have always thought that a cataloguing application like LR should be able to spot the difference between raw files' sidecars and identically-named files but with different extensions. LR should make it equally easy to work either way, Adobe now understand this needs changing, and I don't expect this restriction will last too long.

The original poster referred to raw+jpeg shooting, and the same argument applies - some people do like LR the way it is, with the jpegs being managed invisibly. This can be if you wire away the jpegs to a tight deadline, and afterwards retain the jpegs only as reference. If I did a lot of raw+jpeg, I might be in that group, but I've no strong opinion. Anyway, importing both files, stacked, strikes me as preferable - in general, a cataloguing application like LR should be able to spot the difference between raw files and identically-named files but with jpeg extensions. LR should make it equally easy to work either way, Adobe now understand this needs changing, and I don't expect this restriction will last too long.

I find the tone of both your replies to be unnecessarily antagonistic. So instead of jumping down my throat, read my words a bit more carefully. Nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean, know what I mean, say no more, say no more! A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat!

John

tonyswash

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 11:41:01 am »

I too find it a pain that when I shoot Raw plus Jpeg LR ignores the Jpegs. I undertsand why this was done and I also undertsand that as LR is a work in progress I expect this to be changed in the near future.

I work on a mac and in the meantime my work around is to use Image Capture import both the Raws and Jpegs onto my hard drive and I then use the really tremendous A Better Finder Rename utility to very quickly change the names of all the Jpegs files. I usually add an X to the end of the filename so that they will be arranged next to the Raw files. I can then import eveything into LR. I bit cumbersome but it is very quick.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 11:43:17 am »

Tony

I don't know Mac so well, but could you use folder actions or Automator to put them in a subfolder?

John

marty m

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 04:42:48 am »

See the thread on Lightroom failing to import and include the ability to play the wav files that are recorded on the Canon 1Ds or 1Ds MkII -- because this is part of the same problem:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....56&#entry111656

I haven't yet tried to import from a CF card, but my understanding from DDQ is that Lightroom would only import the raw files, and simply leave the audio wav or jpeg files behind on the CF card. So that when you erase the cards, or reformat, you lost the files all together.  It is a very serious problem if Lightroom simply refuses to import wav audio files -- or Jpeg files -- and basically trashes them.

I wonder how many users of Lightroom have realized that?

This is such a serious deficiency as to argue against ever using Lightroom to import files from CF cards, if those cards contain raw and wav -- or raw and jpeg -- or raw, jpeg and wav.

For those who are looking for the ability to import from CF cards to two drives simultaneously, use Photo Mechanic.  It will import ALL of your files, and doesn't stupidly or arrogantly dictate that only raw files are worth importing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up