Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR Database strategy  (Read 2356 times)

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
LR Database strategy
« on: April 03, 2007, 08:57:00 pm »

I've listened to Michael's and Jeff's excellent LR tutorial download several times, and have searched the relevant posts, however, I'm still having trouble getting my head around the way to build my LR database.

If you subscribe to Michael's method of having separate LR databases on each drive for the images on that drive, I guess you lose the ability to search for all images based on keyword or other criteria. It makes sense to keep the LR database with the image files so that the changes made in LR are easily accessible and the links do not get "broken", but the idea of having a complete searchable database seems improbable.

Perhaps there is a need to use a DAM application like iView, iPhoto or Portfolio to seach the whole database, while using LR for local image manipulation.

In my situation, I have approximately 60,000 images between fine art, family events and vacations on an external drive that is backed up to 2 other drives routinely for safety. This is run through my LAN NAS device so that I can access it from any one of 3 computers. I just purchased a new MacBook Pro 15" and I'm waiting for the new MacPro dual 4quad (8 processors) to replace my Dell workstation. All of the PCs are going away.

Any suggestions from heavy image database users?

Thanks in advance.

Bud James
North Wales, PA.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 08:58:14 pm by budjames »
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
LR Database strategy
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:41:40 am »

Hi!

Here are my "two cents".

1) You cannot put the database on a network drive. Dpn't know why!
2) You can put the database on an USB (or Firewire) external drive
3) I have about 17000 images on my PC and that seems to work fine

Not much help, sorry!

Erik

I've listened to Michael's and Jeff's excellent LR tutorial download several times, and have searched the relevant posts, however, I'm still having trouble getting my head around the way to build my LR database.

If you subscribe to Michael's method of having separate LR databases on each drive for the images on that drive, I guess you lose the ability to search for all images based on keyword or other criteria. It makes sense to keep the LR database with the image files so that the changes made in LR are easily accessible and the links do not get "broken", but the idea of having a complete searchable database seems improbable.

Perhaps there is a need to use a DAM application like iView, iPhoto or Portfolio to seach the whole database, while using LR for local image manipulation.

In my situation, I have approximately 60,000 images between fine art, family events and vacations on an external drive that is backed up to 2 other drives routinely for safety. This is run through my LAN NAS device so that I can access it from any one of 3 computers. I just purchased a new MacBook Pro 15" and I'm waiting for the new MacPro dual 4quad (8 processors) to replace my Dell workstation. All of the PCs are going away.

Any suggestions from heavy image database users?

Thanks in advance.

Bud James
North Wales, PA.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110484\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up