Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get keywords from LR database into metadata  (Read 3875 times)

Lito Tejada-Flores

How to get keywords from LR database into metadata
« on: April 03, 2007, 04:46:56 pm »

I hope I am not the only early Lightroom User (and viewer of Michael and Jeff's excellent video tutorials to still be a bit confused about keywords. Apparently the keywords applied in LR exist only in the LR database. But I would like to make sure that the keywords I assign to an image become a permanent part of that image's metadata. I believe this is the case when one assigns keywords in Bridge, for example.

For example, keywords I apply in Bridge can be read by iVeiw Media Pro, or Portfolio, but the reverse is not true, because if I assign keywords in Portfolio, for example, they can only be read, found, searched, etc. in Portfolio. I don't want to be stuck in this situation with Lightroom, which basically is a wonderful program for managing ones RAW files at this point in time. However, in terms of managing one's digital photo collection over time, it seems most unlikely that I will be using Lightroom ten years from now. Things change fast in the digital arena...

If the keywords are written into the file's metadata, then they will be there for any program to read if that program understands keywords. Otherwise one becomes a sort of slave to Lightroom, just the way that casual photo consumers are kind of slaves to iPhoto because they can't find or manage their images without that program. I know there is a way around this dilemma, or hope there is, but haven't been able to find it in the mostly very helpful Lightroom 1.0 help files. Any suggestions? Many thanks...  Lito

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 06:42:22 pm »

Adobe won't write to raw files (a smart decision). Go to the metadata menu in LR and write XMP files. Works the same way Bridge works.

Or you could look into converting to DNG. I think Adobe will write metadata into a DNG file.

antonsakharov@yahoo.com

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 07:05:13 pm »

I have also found out that using keywords on the left side of the application does not store it in the meta data, but if you do the same thing on the right side of the application, (text box, where keywords can be separated by commas) it will write it to meta data.
However, here is a question: is there a way to import meta data in Lightroom where you have unique id of an image and its keyword? I couldn't figure out if LIghtroom does it, is there any other program that does it. Basically, lets say you have identified keywords that need to be associated with an image, but they are different for every image, instead of typing in manually, I am trying to find a way to import for all images at the same time, any ideas?

Forgot to add, when you export DNG from Lightroom, you can't import it back.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 07:10:16 pm by antonsakharov@yahoo.com »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 02:14:44 am »

However, here is a question: is there a way to import meta data in Lightroom where you have unique id of an image and its keyword? I couldn't figure out if LIghtroom does it, is there any other program that does it. Basically, lets say you have identified keywords that need to be associated with an image, but they are different for every image, instead of typing in manually, I am trying to find a way to import for all images at the same time, any ideas?

Forgot to add, when you export DNG from Lightroom, you can't import it back.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110469\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I assume you mean importing from a text file. Right now, there's no way to do it. You'd have to script another cataloguing program like iView or Portfolio, or even Bridge.

Export sends files outside LR's environment, so by default they are not registered in the library. If you want to import them, look at what you can do in the Post Processing Step (Export dialog). Add Lightroom as a program shortcut/alias in the Export Actions Folder, and specify it when you run that export.

John

Lito Tejada-Flores

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 07:36:05 pm »

I assume you mean importing from a text file. Right now, there's no way to do it. You'd have to script another cataloguing program like iView or Portfolio, or even Bridge.

Export sends files outside LR's environment, so by default they are not registered in the library. If you want to import them, look at what you can do in the Post Processing Step (Export dialog). Add Lightroom as a program shortcut/alias in the Export Actions Folder, and specify it when you run that export.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110524\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just a quick thank you to all who took the trouble to read my initial post and reply. It's been super helpful and I really appreciate it.
Cheers  Lito
Pages: [1]   Go Up