Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 optional targets  (Read 3635 times)

Charles Gast

Z3100 optional targets
« on: April 02, 2007, 07:47:32 pm »

I am wondering if there is any possibility that HP will make the profiler in the 3100 compatible with Bill Atkinsons 1728 or even 3600 patch targets?   Some people see an improvement in gradations when going to these and I think the stock targets in the z3100 only go up to about 1000 patches.

Charlie

DotCom Editor

Z3100 optional targets
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 05:41:39 pm »

I'd like the ability to print the built-in patch target sheets WITH the Z's self-built profiles applied so I can compare my different papers. Differences for media surface, finish, and limits aside, the colors should be reasonably consistent from one paper to another.

The differences when comparing the raw patch sheets (before the Z builds its profiles) from one paper to another are astounding.

Greg_E

Z3100 optional targets
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 07:44:41 pm »

I'd like the ability to print the built-in patch target sheets WITH the Z's self-built profiles applied so I can compare my different papers. Differences for media surface, finish, and limits aside, the colors should be reasonably consistent from one paper to another.

The differences when comparing the raw patch sheets (before the Z builds its profiles) from one paper to another are astounding.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110659\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's what all those different test images are for. Why would you want to look at a full profile target after the profile has been applied? Looking at the profile in a gamut veiwer will give you all you need to know about the differences (black point, gamut volume, etc.). For accuracy you realy need something else, and there are many accuracy targets aimed at the commercial printing industry. However there are few targets aimed at the RGB printers. Xrite's ColorshopX has an optional module for testing accuracy, as does Heidelberg's Prinect Profile Toolbox, but again those are aimed at CMYK press prints.

Charles Gast

Z3100 optional targets
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 08:07:32 am »

In the LL comparison of the HP to Epson wide format printers he noted the reduced separation at the black end of the grayscale ramp with the HP. Of course the Epson had been in use for some time and profiled with years of experience on that particular machine. THe HP was profiled but only which target was used I am not sure. I am wondering if a more accurate profiling of the HP would have corrected this.  I can only assume that when more inks are in the set a more accurate profile with a larger number of chips and points on the curve will give better results.
The z3100 has a built in profiler so I will contact HP to see what I can do about larger targets.  I would really rather not  tweak the profile. The photospectrometer should be more accurate than my eye and it should if properly used give the best possible results. Maybe I am being overly optimistic about the profiling process

Greg_E

Z3100 optional targets
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 09:36:16 am »

More patches do not always make a better profile. If the printer is absolutely linear, then more patches should be the same as fewer patches. The Z series should be fairly linear, so more patches may or may not make much of a difference. Where the big gains would be made are in the firmware, this is where the change from RGB (image) is made to the CcMmYKkkkRGB. As far as the "depth" of the blacks, that's all up to the ink and paper (assuming the firmware and ink limits are doing their job).

If you are looking to measure accuracy, then you will need a handheld spectrophotometer as there are no utilities to use the spectro built into the Z series printers (yet).

Panascape

Z3100 optional targets
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 10:26:36 am »

Interestingly enough the APS software is compatible with the HP ECI 2002 1496 patch target but this seems to be a cmyk target.

Greg_E

Z3100 optional targets
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 11:59:33 am »

Somewhere there must be a RIP for this printer that can use the APS as a plug in, or something like that. That ECI2002 target should produce good results.

Charles Gast

Z3100 optional targets
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 11:26:33 am »

Somewhere there must be a RIP for this printer that can use the APS as a plug in, or something like that. That ECI2002 target should produce good results.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110809\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So even if the target is cmyk it will work with the printer?  I am interested in experimentation. The only way to know for sure if another target will help is to try.

Greg_E

Z3100 optional targets
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 02:04:14 pm »

You can only use a CMYK target with a driver that really uses CMYK. The "normal" driver for the Z3100 is RGB, so your results will not be optimal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up