Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M8 DNG vs. Adobe DNG Converter  (Read 1817 times)

salga

M8 DNG vs. Adobe DNG Converter
« on: April 02, 2007, 05:14:56 pm »

Hi.

I have been using various RAW converters for a while now, and I settled on Lightroom. I recently bought an M8, and as some of you might know, its DNG files are not compressed.

Running the M8 DNGs through the Adobe DNG Converter, as silly as it may sound, reduces their size considerably (from ~10MB to ~5MB), when using the "Compress lossless" option. I know storage space is cheap, but "half the space" is something I would consider beneficial anyway.

You might find some more information on this other forum, with other considerations that shed some positive light on this.

My question to this forum is the following: what do other M8 users think about this practice, especially in the long run? Michael, any thoughts on this?

I cannot see many problems with it, except loosing the capability of opening the DNGs by RAW converters that currently open only specific kinds of DNGs (such as C1, for example).

This is not a big deal for me, and anyway I hope sometime, sooner or later, DNG will be fully supported by other RAW developers as well. If the side-effects were only this one, well, I'd be inclined to take my chances and run every M8 DNG through the Adobe converter.

Any other problem with this practice that might lie on the horizon and that I don't see?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Luca
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 05:17:45 pm by salga »
Pages: [1]   Go Up