Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Unknown Metadata Writing Error??  (Read 5798 times)

m021478

Lightroom Unknown Metadata Writing Error??
« on: April 02, 2007, 09:42:42 am »

Every single time I open a RAW image that is cataloged in Adobe Lightroom into Adobe Photoshop CS3 and do some editing, then save and close the file, when I go back to lightroom to review the edited version of the RAW image (which it automatically stacks with the original corresponding RAW image) Lightroom displays an exclaimation point in the upper right hand corner of the image thumbnail when viewed in the grid-view or film-strip...upon clicking the exclaimation point, Lightroom a dialog box that reads as follows:

"There was an unknown error while writing metadata to this photo. Retry?

- my options here are to 1) 'Import From Disk' ; 2) 'Do Nothing' ; 3) 'Retry Metadata Export'

Can someone help me figure out why I am getting this error message in the first place, and if it is for some reason unavoidable, which of the three options that it gives me (as stated above) should I choose upon clicking the exclamation point?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 11:37:05 am »

Yep

found the same thing last night.

Not sure whether the saved PS TIFF/PSD file should come back with the attached data. i thought it would have. Interestingly, i tried the 1st option "import from disc" and it seemed toreturn my photo the way is was prior to edit in PS???

Anyone else got a better clue?

Brad

Jim-St

• http://www.lochaberphoto.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 12:23:18 pm »

I've been getting this problem as well: I have a couple of tif's sitting in my Auto Imported Photos folder and which came from my PSCS3 Edits "watched" folder after I'd dome some work on them in CS3 from Bridge CS3 two days ago.

I'm really not sure which button I need to be pressing, but given what BFoto says the "Import from Disk" option (which seems the logical one for files externally edited) doesn't seem a good bet. But why would I want to "Retry Metadata EXPORT" in this circumstance? Doesn't seem to make sense...

Maybe one of the LR experts can answer this question, or suggest a link (I Googled "unknown error while writing metadata" and this thread was the only thing it found). Surely it can't be just the three of us...

Richard Ripley

• http://www.richardripley.com
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 10:29:25 pm »

I get the same problem when I export to PS CS2 and then view the file in Lightroom. I have always clicked on "Retry MetaData Export" not because I knew what I was doing but just guessing. So what should I be doing?

BFoto

• Brad's blog
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 08:23:39 pm »

I get the same problem when I export to PS CS2 and then view the file in Lightroom. I have always clicked on "Retry MetaData Export" not because I knew what I was doing but just guessing. So what should I be doing?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111096\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have also been using CS2. I keep trying but to no avail.

Jeff or MR, any help here.

Jim-St

• http://www.lochaberphoto.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 03:10:54 pm »

Not sure if this will shed any light on the issue - I'm still fairly baffled by it - but I've done some forensic examination of the files I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread, and posted it here

Maybe this will give someone the clue as to what's causing this issue...

Any suggestions welcomed

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up