Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 100-400 Disaster  (Read 6173 times)

Chris 38

100-400 Disaster
« on: April 02, 2007, 03:54:12 am »

Any advice here welcome:

Yesterday with the airshow in town I finally bought my first L, a 100-400, X.  It fit nicely in my Tamrac XL belt bag as I'd expected, but only without it's mega-hood.  I thus strapped on Canon's bag for today, which unzips far down its side and curiously has its belt lug almost half-way down its length.

Thus, there's no extra room for mistakes, like dumping your kit lens in while the F-22 roars over your head.  When that F-22 landed, I was switching to my 28-135 from my shoulder bag as the crowd rushed the fence.  I saw my belt bag wasn't big enough for two, and thought, take your shot, but don't move because this ain't lookin' right at all.  But I stepped aside for someone, and $1400 did a perfect somersault onto the asphalt.

Other than this being a day of sickening shame, the AF still worked perfectly through the afternoon, and it appears my new purchase has survived.  ('Good thing I like it.)  However, the impact dented (actually split) the rim, and I have no real certainty that nothing broke inside.

I doubt I can play on any sympathies with Canon customer service regarding bag design.  But I'd welcome any opinions on what I should ask for vis' repair and inspection, and what to expect in charges - and even from users on what I might have done differently, storage-wise.  Is there a better belt-bag out there for this lens?  Or should I have strapped in on the shoulder or tied it to a noose around my neck?  What do smarter users do?

francois

100-400 Disaster
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 04:21:58 am »

Any advice here welcome:

Yesterday with the airshow in town I finally bought my first L, a 100-400, X.  It fit nicely in my Tamrac XL belt bag as I'd expected, but only without it's mega-hood.  I thus strapped on Canon's bag for today, which unzips far down its side and curiously has its belt lug almost half-way down its length.

Thus, there's no extra room for mistakes, like dumping your kit lens in while the F-22 roars over your head.  When that F-22 landed, I was switching to my 28-135 from my shoulder bag as the crowd rushed the fence.  I saw my belt bag wasn't big enough for two, and thought, take your shot, but don't move because this ain't lookin' right at all.  But I stepped aside for someone, and $1400 did a perfect somersault onto the asphalt.

Other than this being a day of sickening shame, the AF still worked perfectly through the afternoon, and it appears my new purchase has survived.  ('Good thing I like it.)  However, the impact dented (actually split) the rim, and I have no real certainty that nothing broke inside.

I doubt I can play on any sympathies with Canon customer service regarding bag design.  But I'd welcome any opinions on what I should ask for vis' repair and inspection, and what to expect in charges - and even from users on what I might have done differently, storage-wise.  Is there a better belt-bag out there for this lens?  Or should I have strapped in on the shoulder or tied it to a noose around my neck?  What do smarter users do?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would send it to Canon to check if anything was damaged. As for a smarter bag, check out ThinkTank lens pouches. The [a href=\"http://www.thinktankphoto.com/ttp_product_LnsChngr80.php]Lens Changer 80[/url] accepts a 70-200 f/2.8 or 100-400  with the hood installed (not in reverse position).
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 04:24:21 am by francois »
Francois

Chris 38

100-400 Disaster
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 12:55:39 pm »

Thank you very much, Francois.    Seriously: I felt horrible yesterday, but I saw others with the same lens and Canon bag at the show, hanging oddly like it wasn't really looked at afterward by the folks who designed it.  Yes I was clumsy, but the Think Tank looks exactkt like what I really needed, like my original bag only bigger.  They even have a newer model of the one you mentioned.  Surely I'll be purchasing this after I get my new baby fixed.

- Chris

I would send it to Canon to check if anything was damaged. As for a smarter bag, check out ThinkTank lens pouches. The Lens Changer 80 accepts a 70-200 f/2.8 or 100-400  with the hood installed (not in reverse position).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110179\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

francois

100-400 Disaster
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 02:09:07 pm »

Thank you very much, Francois.    Seriously: I felt horrible yesterday, but I saw others with the same lens and Canon bag at the show, hanging oddly like it wasn't really looked at afterward by the folks who designed it.  Yes I was clumsy, but the Think Tank looks exactkt like what I really needed, like my original bag only bigger.  They even have a newer model of the one you mentioned.  Surely I'll be purchasing this after I get my new baby fixed.

- Chris
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110255\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Chris,
I know how you felt   The last time I felt like you was last a couple of years ago. I was lucky, very lucky. In the end, I just had to purchase a new aluminum lens cap for my 15mm lens, that was a good and cheap lesson... not to be forgotten soon.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 02:12:23 pm by francois »
Francois

stever

100-400 Disaster
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 11:30:02 pm »

i dropped my 100-400 a year ago with damage -- Canon made it good as it ever was for 400 odd $$

thanks your post i've looked at the Think Tank site and am ordering modular system parts -- looks to be much better than the Lowepro Street and Field stuff i've been using

mahleu

• 500px
100-400 Disaster
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 06:35:44 am »

My friend had a brand new 24-105L knocked off a seat next to her, AF stopped working but it looked fine. She sent it back to canon and they sent her a new one.

BobShram

100-400 Disaster
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 08:26:54 am »

I had water damage to mine. New clutch, inner barrels and other parts, thought it was going to be a fortune, so was happy to walk away with $320 and the satisfaction that it had been done right. The hard part is getting over the dropping it bit? All the best Bob.

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
100-400 Disaster
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 12:44:17 pm »

Or, if you have good insurance, just repeat the incident - this time while photographing at the edge of the Grand Canyon.
Dr D White DDS BSc

macgyver

100-400 Disaster
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 02:11:48 am »

I'll second (or third?) the think tank bags.  I use the belt system and it's great.  I might recomend the lens changer 75 over the 80 though, it's smaller but fits the 70-200 or 100-400 in with hood attached (hood pokes out, but its easier to grab on the run then).  But, size choice aside, great products from a company that clearly is made up of actual photogs who know all the usual complaints.

Chris 38

100-400 Disaster
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 04:24:22 pm »

From thread starter to all:

Canon fixed my lens for just over $300.  Interestingly, I can now feel the clunking around inside of the IS system when I carry the lens - at least I hope that's what it is.  I went shooting birds and butterflies, IS, no IS, manual, AF, extender etc., and first look is that 90% of everything looks damn good.

Main point here is to thank Francois and all because I also bought the Thinktank with the hood extension that unzips - a whopping $35 investment.  This is clearly superior to what Canon provides, and I was comfy enough with it to climb up a 45-deg slope off Pacific Coast Highway yesterday to shoot from a rock over the ocean - and nearly slide back down.  Note: I bought the one with the unzippable hood extension, the logic there being that it can make a smaller package if necessary, i.e., for a bag at the airport.

- Chris

stever

100-400 Disaster
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 12:47:14 pm »

haven't used my new Thinktank stuff much yet, but i'm really impressed with the design and construction compared to my old Lowepro stuff

got two digital holster 20s which will take my 20D or 5D with 24-105 or 70-300DO with hood in place or 100-400 with hood reversed

the bottle carrier even comes with a raincoat!
Pages: [1]   Go Up