Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase One wakeup problem  (Read 4760 times)

schaubild

Phase One wakeup problem
« on: April 01, 2007, 12:01:29 pm »

When working with a PhaseOne back on Cambo, Alpa or on a viewcamera a special cable from Kapture group is required to wake up the back before making an exposure. Not a very agreeable thing to do; Leaf, Hasselblad and Sinar can be activated directly via flashsync, but nevertheless, it's possible to live with it. What really annoys me is the fact that when you press the wakeup button and don't make an exposure, you get an error message which requires you to take one hand off the camera to quit the message directly on the back. To me this doesn't look like a feature, it's a bug.
The really strange experience is the unwillingness of PhaseOne to discuss that issue, I never even got an explanation for why the errormessage is generated instead of the back just going back to sleep. To me this looks like an easy fix in the firmware for when the back is used in large format mode.

Does anybody have more information about this subject?

Joe Behar

Phase One wakeup problem
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 10:02:10 am »

All Phase One backs operate in sleeping architecture. The backs need two signals. One to wake up and the other to make the exposure. This is done to keep the CCD as cool as possible without having to use any external cooling such as a fan which may cause electrical noise and use battery power.

What you are seeing is a timeout error. The back gets your first signal and never gets the second one.

As a side note, you do not need a third party cable to use your back. there are actually three options available to you.

1.  Use the Kapture Group One Shot Cable

2.  Get a Phase One Wake Up Cable. This will allow you to wake up the back at the push of a button and then make your exposure.

3.  Use "two shot mode"..Just simply make two exposures with a standard cable release.

I would suggest that you contact your Phase One dealer and they should be able to answer all your questions and give you all options open to you.

schaubild

Phase One wakeup problem
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 04:07:16 pm »

Hi Joe.

I knew the options, I'm just quite irritated about the timeout error. It is not very convenient when using the PhaseOne backs on cameras that use Copal shutters. An accidential wakeup should not lead to an error, instead the back should go back to sleep. PhaseOne seems reluctant to discuss this issue  :-(

All Phase One backs operate in sleeping architecture. The backs need two signals. One to wake up and the other to make the exposure. This is done to keep the CCD as cool as possible without having to use any external cooling such as a fan which may cause electrical noise and use battery power.

What you are seeing is a timeout error. The back gets your first signal and never gets the second one.

As a side note, you do not need a third party cable to use your back. there are actually three options available to you.

1.  Use the Kapture Group One Shot Cable

2.  Get a Phase One Wake Up Cable. This will allow you to wake up the back at the push of a button and then make your exposure.

3.  Use "two shot mode"..Just simply make two exposures with a standard cable release.

I would suggest that you contact your Phase One dealer and they should be able to answer all your questions and give you all options open to you.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110215\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up