Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stitching bracketed shots  (Read 3202 times)

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Stitching bracketed shots
« on: April 01, 2007, 09:45:12 am »

Is there a panorama stitching software which allows copying stitching parameters from one project to another? I need this to stitch bracketed panoramas.

To clarify: I have a panorama which is bracketed. Shot #1 at 15 and 60 secs. Shot #2 at 15 and 60 secs. etc. I'd like to stitch the 15-sec exposures into a panorama, and use the same exact settings for the 60-sec shots. But the settings would have to be exactly the same. This to enable digital blending and ensure correct registering.

Is there a program that allows this?

Monito

• MonitoPhoto
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 11:02:28 am »

When I do HDR panoramas, I blend the HDRs first and then do the panorama stitching.  You can save the blend function and get identical HDR results for each panel.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 11:04:34 am »

Would it be easier to blend the individual frames first, using the same settings for each set but without lens correction, then stitch those merged frames together for the panorama?
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

feppe

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 11:53:23 am »

Would it be easier to blend the individual frames first, using the same settings for each set but without lens correction, then stitch those merged frames together for the panorama?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110047\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Depends on how you define "easier." Blending 10 shots of 2 exposures is a lot of work, when it could be done with 1 stitched shot. And the problem with blending separate shots is the same: how to ensure I do exactly the same steps? Having to use masks compounds the problem.

But if the stitched panoramas of different exposures don't register correctly, I guess that's the only option. I'll know tomorrow after the batch is done.

edit: I'm not talking about HDR. I'm merely talking about expanding the dynamic range in shadows/highlights, not "true" HDR. I guess HDR might actually be handy here, though. I'll have to take a look at that, thanks.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 11:55:08 am by feppe »

ChrisGolden

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 03:35:10 pm »

To answer the original question, PTGui allows you to copy stitching settings to a new project.

Simply set up the stitching with one set of exposures (e.g. the 15 second exposures), generate the stitched output image, and save the PTGui project file (File>Save); this will yield a file with a PTS extension.

Now copy the PTS file to a new name, and edit the copy in a text editor.  Some ways into the file you'll find the image file names on lines that begin with "#-imgfile"; for each image file, replace it with the corresponding file that was created with a 60 second exposure.  Also, find the line that begins with "#-outputfile" and change the target file name, so that you don't overwrite the stitched output file that PTGui generates for the 15 second exposures when you generate the 60 second version.

Save the copy, load it into PTGui, and you should be ready to generate your stitched output file for the 60 second exposures.

There may be an easier way to do this (i.e. something within the GUI), in which case I'd be interested in hearing about it.  But this has worked very well for me thus far.

Hope this helps!

feppe

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 03:41:13 pm »

To answer the original question, PTGui allows you to copy stitching settings to a new project.

Simply set up the stitching with one set of exposures (e.g. the 15 second exposures), generate the stitched output image, and save the PTGui project file (File>Save); this will yield a file with a PTS extension.

Now copy the PTS file to a new name, and edit the copy in a text editor.  Some ways into the file you'll find the image file names on lines that begin with "#-imgfile"; for each image file, replace it with the corresponding file that was created with a 60 second exposure.  Also, find the line that begins with "#-outputfile" and change the target file name, so that you don't overwrite the stitched output file that PTGui generates for the 15 second exposures when you generate the 60 second version.

Save the copy, load it into PTGui, and you should be ready to generate your stitched output file for the 60 second exposures.

There may be an easier way to do this (i.e. something within the GUI), in which case I'd be interested in hearing about it.  But this has worked very well for me thus far.

Hope this helps!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110101\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. Now, if only they could make the program stable, make their GUI usable, and make autostitching work, the program might be useful. But it appears that's the only choice I have at the moment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up