Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H3D-39 Digital back on 4x5 view camera?  (Read 8266 times)

Gayyath

H3D-39 Digital back on 4x5 view camera?
« on: April 01, 2007, 03:36:13 am »

I am new to this forum or any other forum, it is the first time for me to join any even I have been reading many of them for the last 11 months when time permit me.
let me first say 'Hi to all of you':
I am a commercial photographer since 1985, I have used Sinar P2 since 1993 mostly for commercial of table top photography and architecture, I am now about to order the Hasselblad H3D-39.
I am looking for information if any photographer has used the digital back of the Hasselblad H3D-39 on a view camera? I appreciate if he/she would help to know the answer of the following questions:-
1) Haw was the image quality of the back when used on any large format camera or on the Sinar P2 with any type of lenses compared to the image capture attached to the H3D body?
2) I expect if this pack is used with other lenses I well lose what Hasselblad call the Digital APO Correction and Hasselblad Natural Color Solution, if this is the case, haw you correct it? I think using the Xrite Profile Maker 5 well help to solve this problem, am I correct or wrong?
3) Did any one noticed any color shift or color cast on the image when using the view camera tilt or swing when using this particular back of Hasselblad H3D-39?  
4) when taking an image using the H3D camera and the back is not tethered to a computer, the camera do what Hasselblad call the Ultra-Focus, that is the camera include the F-stop used and the distance to the subject to adjust the focus according to that, but when the camera is tethered, it stop to do auto focus, do you think this ultra focus happen during focusing or during the actual moment of capturing the image?
I mean well I lose this function if I focused 1st then attach the camera to the computer I well lose this function?
5) Any one used the quad stitching back from Kapture Group? Well you please tell me some details about the image using it?
6) What is the image size exactly the H3D-39 produce exactly? and at what resolution?
7) Any advises regarding the FlexColor software learning curve?

Thank you all in advance and excuse my bad English,,

Best regards.
Gayyath

godtfred

• http://
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 07:31:37 am »

I currently use the H2+CFH-39, a camera-back combintation that is essentially the same as the H3D. (Back has no battery like the H3D, and has the Flash sync input outputs of the H3D back.) I’m waiting for my upgrade    Here are my experiences using the CFH-39 on my Linhof.

1) Haw was the image quality of the back when used on any large format camera or on the Sinar P2 with any type of lenses compared to the image capture attached to the H3D body?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109995\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The image captured by the H-system is superior to all my lenses on the linhof, with exception of the Schneider digitar line. I have super-angulon and nikkor large format lenses as well, and there is a huge difference between them and the digitar. The Digitar marginally outperforms the HC-lenses.

2) I expect if this pack is used with other lenses I well lose what Hasselblad call the Digital APO Correction and Hasselblad Natural Color Solution, if this is the case, haw you correct it? I think using the Xrite Profile Maker 5 well help to solve this problem, am I correct or wrong?
You will lose the Digital APO Correction, but then again the Latest LF lenses are very well corrected (I don’t have many enough to know enough about the large number of LF lenses out there for digital use.) I Think the natural color solution will work though... there is a Hasselblad RGB profile attatched to the raw file, and I have experienced no changes in my colorsync workflow.

3) Did any one noticed any color shift or color cast on the image when using the view camera tilt or swing when using this particular back of Hasselblad H3D-39?  
There is color casts when using this on a view-camera, just like with the Phase backs. The method of correcting the casts is similar, and is called ”custom white” in flexcolor (you need to have the back attatched to the computer to use it, im waiting for a promised fix on this...) Do not confuse hasselblads ”Custom White” with a gray balancing like one would do to get a neutral white in images, it is not the same, but you have to gray balance before you perform the ”custom white”.

You do not always have to perform the custom white, it depends on the lens used, and very much on how large movements you apply on the LF camera. I dont use it for BW images, and i don’t use it on some lenses (like my macro) when i apply none or very small movements.

4) when taking an image using the H3D camera and the back is not tethered to a computer, the camera do what Hasselblad call the Ultra-Focus, that is the camera include the F-stop used and the distance to the subject to adjust the focus according to that, but when the camera is tethered, it stop to do auto focus, do you think this ultra focus happen during focusing or during the actual moment of capturing the image?
I mean well I lose this function if I focused 1st then attach the camera to the computer I well lose this function?
My camera (H2) does not have ultra focus... so I cannot comment.

5) Any one used the quad stitching back from Kapture Group? Well you please tell me some details about the image using it?
I use the Linhof stitching back, so cannot comment. But beware that you have to perform a ”Custom White/LLC” process before each of the exposures used in a stich, making the process rather slow, but not impossible.

6) What is the image size exactly the H3D-39 produce exactly? and at what resolution?
7210 pixels x 5410 pixels is what i get out of FlexColor.

You learn it fairly quickly when using it professionally. The available functions are not very well documentet, but there is a forum called FlexFrame on Yahoo, that helps users of HB/Imacon with flexcolor issues and learning. It is a great place to search for info on the software. The basics of hue, saturation, curves, levels, sharpening, etc. are quick to learn, and the batch function (called modify) is also a snap to understand. Tethered shooting is fairly easy (but there is in my experience a bug, where you have to watch out for the aperture/shutter/iso settings on the camera if you have set flexcolor to control these, but want to make a change directly on the body, they might overrun eachother, a fix is just to stick to setting it in either the software or on the body when shooting tethered.

-axel
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 12:21:44 pm by godtfred »
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

BJNY

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 09:39:27 am »

I suggest searching for Michael Kravit's posts.  I believe he uses the equipment in question.
Guillermo

Nick_T

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2007, 04:24:33 pm »

. The method of correcting the casts is similar, and is called ”custom white” in flexcolor (you need to have the back attatched to the computer to use it, im waiting for a promised fix on this...) -axel
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110013\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Un-tethered custom-white is supported by the latest version of Flexcolour (4.6.7)

Nick-T
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

godtfred

• http://
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 05:20:40 pm »

Un-tethered custom-white is supported by the latest version of Flexcolour (4.6.7)

Nick-T
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110114\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
That's great news! Thanks Nick.
Axel Bauer
godtfred.com H2|M679CS|P45+

Gayyath

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 06:27:05 pm »

I am new to this forum or any other forum, it is the first time for me to join any even I have been reading many of them for the last 11 months when time permit me.
let me first say 'Hi to all of you':
I am a commercial photographer since 1985, I have used Sinar P2 since 1993 mostly for commercial of table top photography and architecture, I am now about to order the Hasselblad H3D-39.
I am looking for information if any photographer has used the digital back of the Hasselblad H3D-39 on a view camera? I appreciate if he/she would help to know the answer of the following questions:-

Thank you all in advance and excuse my bad English,,

Best regards.
Gayyath

Hi, i am very great full for all answers, i well get my system by the end of this month, i hope i well be able to give you help as you all did to me

Best regards.
Gayyath

jreederphoto

• www.reederphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 12:52:38 pm »

I suggest searching for Michael Kravit's posts.  I believe he uses the equipment in question.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110028\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

how are you able to get it to work...i can't figure it out?  It works tethered running 4.6.7, but how do you apply it after the fact?

thanks

Jordan
Jordan Reeder Photography
[url=http://ww

jreederphoto

• www.reederphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 12:53:32 pm »

how are you able to get it to work...i can't figure it out?  It works tethered running 4.6.7, but how do you apply it after the fact?

thanks

Jordan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120664\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

sorry i'm talking about...

Nick-T

Jordan Reeder Photography
[url=http://ww

Gayyath

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 03:45:25 pm »

how are you able to get it to work...i can't figure it out?  It works tethered running 4.6.7, but how do you apply it after the fact?

thanks

Jordan

[span style=\'font-size:14pt;line-height:100%\']hi again,[/span]
i received my H3d, yesterday with only 1 lens the 80m, the others well follow in a week or soo, it came with flexcolor 4.6.6 and i connected to my MacBook Pro that i also received it with it,,, it worked very nice with few tests, then i kept it connected to my computer, downloaded ver. 4.6.7, i then instoled the file while the camera is on and connected to the computer, it did do the up grade and did the firmware up grade at the same time,,
i am now working to install all the software and do computer connections to my other computers then i well reed evry letter in the e-electronic documents that i have printed in more than 200 page before i start working with it, if any one tell me haw to send this 1st photo of 117mb test i well send it, it was done hand held with 80m lens and the built in flash, it is my first shot but i liked it      

sorry i'm talking about...

Nick-T
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120665\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up