Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod database?  (Read 5649 times)

larsrc

• http://
Tripod database?
« on: March 30, 2007, 04:38:13 am »

Is there a database somewhere of tripod specs?  I'm rather tall, so when I'm looking for a tripod I can actually stand up at yet that folds down to something I can reasonably carry, I have few actual choices but lots of junk to wade through.  I'm hoping to find someplace that just shows the specs of available tripods in some searchable manner, anyone know of one?  A downloadable spreadsheet or text file with specs on main tripods would also be useful.

Thanks,
-Lars

DarkPenguin

Tripod database?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 10:34:13 am »

Not that I know of.  You might see if adorama has the heights listed in their search thing.

As an aside I find that picking up an angle finder does wonders for making up for a short tripod.  Much easier on the spine to kind of lean over and look into an angle finder than it is to hunch down behind the camera.  (At six and a half feet tall I'm not willing to lug a tripod that is tall enough for me into the woods.)

nma

Tripod database?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 12:55:33 pm »

Is there a database somewhere of tripod specs?  I'm rather tall, so when I'm looking for a tripod I can actually stand up at yet that folds down to something I can reasonably carry, I have few actual choices but lots of junk to wade through.  I'm hoping to find someplace that just shows the specs of available tripods in some searchable manner, anyone know of one?  A downloadable spreadsheet or text file with specs on main tripods would also be useful.

Thanks,
-Lars
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't know of such a database. But, I am ~ 6' 1" and what I use is shown below.  This a high quality CF tripod. Not up to Gitzo build, but still very solid.
Available directly from manufacturer.   Fits in suitcase, comes with carry bag,  light but stable.  Hope this helps.

====================
www.Feisol.com
[a href=\"http://www.feisol.com/english/3301ncm.jpg]http://www.feisol.com/english/3301ncm.jpg[/url]
Four-section tripod
CT-3401N
     Max Height     141cm
Center column is optional
   Maximum Extended Height    168cm
Center column is optional
   Folded Length    49cm
   Minimum Height    17cm
   Weight    1.3Kg
Include Center Column    1.5Kg
   Max Load    7Kg
   Leg Section    4

Maximum Leg Tube Diameter    28mm

DarkPenguin

Tripod database?
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 01:07:13 pm »

I use the same tripod.

theophilus

Tripod database?
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 03:42:44 pm »

I've also used the 3401N for over 15 months now.  I'm 6' tall, no problems in snow, 100 degrees, submerged in a creek, etc.

mahleu

• 500px
Tripod database?
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 04:03:17 pm »

I seem to remember manfrotto's site listing the max height (and min)

Mine extends far enough for me to need a chair to stand on.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Tripod database?
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 04:09:39 pm »

I've been looking at the Gitzo GT3540XLS, which replaces the 1325/1348 or somewhere in there.  Max height is 78" and min. height is 27.6"

If you want REALLY tall, try the GT5560SGT, which extends from 28.7" to 102.4"

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Jay Kaplan

Tripod database?
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 06:44:02 pm »

Here is one from the Nature Photography website's store for Gitzo tripods http://www.naturescapes.net/store/home.php?cat=19
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 06:45:04 pm by Jake21209 »

Carl Harsch

• http://www.ohenry.smugmug.com
Tripod database?
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 07:58:51 pm »

I'm 6'2", use a Gitzo 1325, but never give a second thought to having it at eye level when standing straight up.  Normally, it's at a much lower height to allow for better perspective.  Yet, when I put my 1Ds on top of the ballhead (RSS-BH55), and put the tripod at full height, it's more than adequate.  Not sure what model replaced the 1325

aaykay

Tripod database?
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 10:27:12 am »

Is there a database somewhere of tripod specs?  I'm rather tall, so when I'm looking for a tripod I can actually stand up at yet that folds down to something I can reasonably carry, I have few actual choices but lots of junk to wade through.  I'm hoping to find someplace that just shows the specs of available tripods in some searchable manner, anyone know of one?  A downloadable spreadsheet or text file with specs on main tripods would also be useful.

Thanks,
-Lars
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109574\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Gitzo 3540LS (The "4" in 3540 indicates that it is a 4-section tripod, the "3" indicating that it is a "series-3" Gitzo and the "S" indicating that it is a tripod of the "systematic" line), folds down to 21.7" (can fit within an Airline carryon), weighs 3.8lbs and extends (without column) to a height of 57.5" and can take 39.7lbs of vertical load and comes with a built-in bubble level, like all the Gitzo systematics.  B&H sells it for $650.  

If you need even more height, you can go for the 3540XLS mentioned above, but then the folded size (half a foot longer than the 3540LS) would increase to well beyond carry-on size and the tripod's weight would also increase, while retaining the same load capacity (39.4lbs).

In addition to the 3540LS, I also have a 5540LS (the "5" in 5540LS indicates that it is a Series-5 Gitzo, which is their heaviest duty Carbon Fiber tripod), which has a max height of around 59.4" (without column), the folded length being 23.6" and weighs in at around 6.5lbs and has a load capacity of 55lbs.  

Some people prefer the 3-section legs (like the older 1325 or the current 3530S), due to the extra rigidity due to one fewer leg section but these Gitzos (whether 3-section or 4-section) are by themselves extremely rigid and I will take a slight rigidity hit from having 4 sections, for the MUCH BETTER portability that the 4-section tripod affords.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 10:48:30 am by aaykay »

daveman

Tripod database?
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 02:32:56 pm »

Quote from: larsrc,Mar 30 2007, 03:38 AM
Is there a database somewhere of tripod specs?  

Here's an older database, a little outdated now:

http://www.nordicgroup.us/tripod/

Here's a link to Gitzo, who have tables with all the data for their tripods:

http://www.gitzo.com/Jahia/site/gitzo/pid/...&curBrandId=BGI

If you need very collapsable AND also very extendable, then the four section 'pods may be better. If you can compromise on a little larger size when fully collapsed, then the three section legsets are better because there is less fiddling to set up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up