Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hartblei Tilt/Shift lens and metering?  (Read 2690 times)

kerry

Hartblei Tilt/Shift lens and metering?
« on: March 29, 2007, 11:20:48 pm »

I am planning on getting back into SLR photography after about 5 years of only using a point and shoot.  I'm looking at buying a digital SLR, and since I've always loved the tilt and shift of view cameras the Hartblei super rotator looks perfect (and much cheaper than the canon T/S lens).  The T/S function is one of the main reasons I want to get a new SLR. I know all T/S lenses are manual focus, which is fine.  Reading a review of the Hartblei, one person said that since there are no electronics in the lens (part of the reason it is so cheap), the camera does not know that there is a lens on.  I assume the light meter still works, correct?  My very first camera, many years ago, was a pentax K1000 everything manual, so if the new digital SLR's work the same way on manual with this lens I'll be fine.  i just want to make sure that I won't need to use an external light meter.  I used to do quite a bit of photography with my film SLR (it was a Nikon 6006) but I feel I have forgotten absoultely everything.  Has anyone tried the Hartblei and the canon T/S lenses?  I am wondering if the fact that the Hartblei is all manual will be such a pain that I'll wish I'd saved up for the Canon lens.  thanks in advance!

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 07:00:12 pm »

It will meter fine.  Set it to AV (I may have it backwards - or TV).  I have an Arsat TC/PC (piece of junk) and a LensBaby3 (junk but fun) and there's no problem metering.  Manual focus on a 1.6 sensor is no fun.  I have a 1dII with a split prism focusing screen that helps (Beattie).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 07:02:42 pm by Tim Gray »

picnic

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 07:51:00 pm »

I am planning on getting back into SLR photography after about 5 years of only using a point and shoot.  I'm looking at buying a digital SLR, and since I've always loved the tilt and shift of view cameras the Hartblei super rotator looks perfect (and much cheaper than the canon T/S lens).  The T/S function is one of the main reasons I want to get a new SLR. I know all T/S lenses are manual focus, which is fine.  Reading a review of the Hartblei, one person said that since there are no electronics in the lens (part of the reason it is so cheap), the camera does not know that there is a lens on.  I assume the light meter still works, correct?  My very first camera, many years ago, was a pentax K1000 everything manual, so if the new digital SLR's work the same way on manual with this lens I'll be fine.  i just want to make sure that I won't need to use an external light meter.  I used to do quite a bit of photography with my film SLR (it was a Nikon 6006) but I feel I have forgotten absoultely everything.  Has anyone tried the Hartblei and the canon T/S lenses?  I am wondering if the fact that the Hartblei is all manual will be such a pain that I'll wish I'd saved up for the Canon lens.  thanks in advance!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109528\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't have the Hartblei---I did try to buy one---but there were all kinds of snags at that point with Kiev Camera (Atlanta).  I had rented the Canon 24 TSE but in the end decided I would like the 45 TS better.

IMO---you will be far better to meter with M---do your settings BEFORE you do any movement.  You can use Av--or Tv---but I would use it when I'm using the lens with NO movement --just as a prime.  Meter, then do your movements--and you will be far better off.  BTW--the Canons are totally manual too *smile*.  NO problem with the 5D--and I've used it with my 10D  (a 1.6x crop cam too) with not too much problem.  You might want to buy the anglefinder C also.  I don't find I have to use it with the 5D--but sometimes with the 10D for very close focus.

Diane

kerry

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 10:59:26 pm »

Thank you both!  I went to check out the Canon 400 eos today, and the viewfinder is tiny. TINY!  The Nikon is heavier, bigger (and I have small hands) and I want the canon but I think the viewfinder might be a deal breaker.  Have you heard of any devices that make the viewfinder bigger?  I have no idea how I would use manual focus with such a tiny viewfinder.  Is this always a problem with Canons or am I just spoiled by having used a Nikon for so many years when I was in college?  Thanks for your input.

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 11:35:01 am »

Is this always a problem with Canons or am I just spoiled by having used a Nikon for so many years when I was in college?  Thanks for your input.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109796\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The bottom end canons all have tiny viewfinders. The 5D has a nice big one