Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 503CW and Flash  (Read 2501 times)

vandevanterSH

503CW and Flash
« on: March 29, 2007, 06:47:42 pm »

I am trying to use my Nikon flash gear (SB-800 and SBR-200's) with my 503CW+CFV for macro work. I have read that the interface can be done with a pc cord from lens to SB-800 and run the flash in non-ttl auto mode or manual mode. I have done this with several lenses and can't get the flash to fire. The pc-pc cord is new and the flash works fine with my D-70. Any thoughts of were I might be screwing up?  I had not planned to use the system tethered.

I also have a SCA 390 TTL interface for Metz flash. Should I just forget the Nikon jury-rig and go with a Metz system? If so which mets flash is compatible with a 503CW and SCA 390?

Thanks in advance, the advice for my problems with FlexColor and my new CFV got me on the right path.

Steve

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
503CW and Flash
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 02:40:32 am »

I use the SB800 with my 503 as well. I use a pc cord from the back pc-sync plug to my flash which works fine. I did have severe problems finding the right cable from the back pc-sync plug to the SB800 pc-sync plug.

Most cables are pc-sync male/female but for making the back/sb connection you need a pc-sync male/male cable. I found one with a vendor on Ebay.

This works very good. I use the flash manually.

I also tried to do it via a radio remote but have not been succesful with that sofar.

I have not tried external flash shoes with sync contacts. This might also work.

Maybe for the CFV it is different, maybe the back doesn't have its own pc-sync connection like my Aptus?

When I find time I will check whether my solution works with the sync on the lens.

I just did. Both from the pc-sync on the back as well as from the lens works perfectly with the SB800. I do use the pc-sync connection on the side of the SB800.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 02:50:30 am by Dustbak »

vandevanterSH

503CW and Flash
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 11:04:26 am »

Thanks for the reply..After putting up this post..I looked at the pc cable. It is pc male-male; but on closer inspection, one of the male pins is very short and doesn't make electrical contact.  Does anyone know where to order an appropriate pc cable?  I may just have to make one.

Any advice on which Metz flash to use with an SCA 390 adapter?  The Metz site is not very helpful. They recommend a 54-mz4i, which is a Nikon compatible flash.  By the picture, it doesn'g look right to connect to the top of the SCA 390.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up