Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contax & P30 long exposures?  (Read 3587 times)

Gary Yeowell

Contax & P30 long exposures?
« on: March 29, 2007, 04:59:24 pm »

Does anyone who is actually using a Contax 645 with a P30 know if you can do long exposures, and if so how long? I have a Contax 645 and have ordered a P30+ but am unable to assertain the exact details of the long exposure capabilities with a Phase back as i am under the impression that there are issues with using BULB, and also that you may have to use AUTO exposure to get the exposures down to something like 30 sec's. I know that you can use the 8sec manual setting but i really want to set long exposures without the need to resort to AUTO which is vague at best, however i don't know if the combination 'Times out'.

Any advice greatly appreciated as this issue may have a bearing on using my Contax as a platform and may push me to continue using the 'V' Blad instead considering one of the major benifits of the Plus backs is the very long exposure capabilities, which i would make use of.

Regards, Gary.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 05:45:20 pm by Gary Yeowell »

joern_kiel

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 03:30:45 am »

Gary,

i once answered this to another forum member.

Hope it helps.

jørn

------

Hi Fabrizio,
as a former owner of the Contax/P25 combo i once read something about the use of Kapturegroup Cable to expand the exposure time. Maybe it was at the phaseone forum, member2member forum or at the RG forum. The post came from one guy of the PhaseOne Team.
I am sure that he has found out that if you trigger the back with the (expensive) cable you can go beyond the 32sec limits. I think it was connected to the remote cable connector of the Contax body...
Sorry for not giving you more detailed information about that.

jørn
http://forum.phaseone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1461

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 10:37:06 am »

Thanks jørn,

That pretty much confirmed what i thought,  8 sec ok manually, up to 30 sec in AUTO and no BULB, unless the Capture Group cable is used which is something i will investigate.

Regards, Gary.

Mark_Tuttle

• http://
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 03:37:11 pm »

I'd be interested on how it works for you.  When Ulf used phrases like "it's tight but I made it fit" or said that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't I decided to go to a Cambo WDS for longer exposures instead of screwing around with the back.

Mark

Thanks jørn,

That pretty much confirmed what i thought,  8 sec ok manually, up to 30 sec in AUTO and no BULB, unless the Capture Group cable is used which is something i will investigate.

Regards, Gary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109631\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Mark Tuttle
MarkTuttle dot Net

JLH

• http://www.josefhoflehner.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 04:21:03 am »

"it's tight but I made it fit"
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109703\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gary,

I tried it hard, but without success. The Capture Group cable is to short and even with improvised extensions I couldn't make it work.

Josef

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 07:32:03 pm »

Thanks for replies, i am coming to the conclusion that the Kapture thing is a real pain and maybe more trouble than it's worth.

Having decided to move over from my 'V' system to the Contax for my upcomming P30+ i am set on this combo so will have to work around the AUTO and 30 sec issue - so be it.  This is actually my only issue with the camera as everything else is nigh on perfect and i guess it's a small price to pay, and anyway there is always film  

Regards,
Gary.

DavidLondon

• http://
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 01:10:02 pm »

Got my P30 Contax fit last week. It does not work with B, a little message comes up on back to say something like select another mode. The way around this is indeed to select A mode, fool it into the ideal exposure, and then you can lock the setting with AEL. Tried it up to 15 secs and worked fine. Not ideal if you use this day in day out, perhaps we can persuade phase one to do something about it? In my case I would use it once in a blue moon so no problem. That Contax 120mm lens Gary is brilliant, thanks!

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 04:17:05 pm »

Got my P30 Contax fit last week. It does not work with B, a little message comes up on back to say something like select another mode. The way around this is indeed to select A mode, fool it into the ideal exposure, and then you can lock the setting with AEL. Tried it up to 15 secs and worked fine. Not ideal if you use this day in day out, perhaps we can persuade phase one to do something about it? In my case I would use it once in a blue moon so no problem. That Contax 120mm lens Gary is brilliant, thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110077\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why doesn't it work?

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 05:53:41 pm »

Hi David,

Glad the 120 is working well!!

Yes the AUTO setting is indeed the only option, albeit a pain.

My P30+ is not going to be ready till July or thereabouts so tomorrow i may pay the extra on my upgrade to get a P30 in the interim.

Good luck with your P30.

Gary.
Pages: [1]   Go Up