Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Contax 645 - Smart Or Dumb?  (Read 14867 times)

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
New Contax 645 - Smart Or Dumb?
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 01:39:43 am »

I think this is a really tough one. I sold my contax 645 system because i was scared because they were going out of business and there was not going to be support when it came time to the newer generation digital backs.  I had a great system too. Two bodies, 35mm 55mm, 80mm, 120mm macro 140, 210mm, extension  tubes, battery grip.  The only thing i did not have and wanted was a waist level finder. At the time those were going for over 600 dollars on ebay ..... welll  i sometimes regret that i sold my contax because the cost of moving to the H2 system was high and now it is becoming an obsolete system with the H3D.... OK before i spew my anger at Hasselblad I will stop

A camera dealer told me a little while ago that he thought he could find a brand new Contax 645. My question to the forum is this - is it a good idea to go for a Contax 645 if they're no longer in production? Specifically, I'm wondering how I would get it serviced. I like the feature set and lens selection, but the servicing has me spooked. For those of you who have a Contax system, how are you getting it serviced?

I'm in the process of getting quotes on both Hy6 and Mamiya 645 AFD II systems, but I would like to price a third alternative if possible before I make a selection, so I'm mulling over whether a Contax system could be that third alternative. Of course, there's also a Hasselblad option, but I've never really warmed to that system (not sure why).

Regards,
Hans.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109457\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

vgogolak

• http://
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 11:22:49 pm »

im not completely sure exactly what my preference is with finders. obviously, the brighter the better. but size of finder i think is a preference.
when i shoot and really concidering the composition, i actually prefer the smaller-far away finer, its like holding  a picture back, rather than looking too close to your face.
but when it comes to seeing a small detail in the frame, like someones expression when they are small in the background, the bigger the better.

does anyone know how well those "brighter screens" like maxwell ones are?

paul
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109488\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have the maxwell brightening of my contax (2) and they are really quite good. esp since I also use manual focus Hassey and Leica (YES!) lenses.

Also, the Hasselblad lenses inherit exposure and focus confirmation on the Contax. I have had the Kodak 16MP back, the P25, the P45 and my P45+ comes monday!

I cant see that any current system matches the flexibility and quality (no problems with two cameras, 6 lenses, and four backs) in years [touch wood!  :-)

Maybe Michael privately regrets selling his Contax 645 system?

regards
Victor

LA30

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 05:32:08 pm »

I love the Contax 80mm 2.0 lens.  I WISH that hassi made an 80mm 2.0.  I would get the hassie just for the 2.0

They are great cameras.

Go for it!

Ken

Josef Isayo

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 01:09:34 am »

I'm selling my Contax 645 kit+ 35mm lens if anyone's interested.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up