Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking Forward to Future LLVJ Downloads  (Read 43127 times)

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Looking Forward to Future LLVJ Downloads
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2007, 08:52:48 pm »

AoA DVD Creator for Windows is as about as simple as it gets - just drag and drop content into the application and burn the DVD:

http://www.aoamedia.com/dvdcreator.htm

Results are excellent - comparing Bill Atkinson's interview on Color Mangement between the shipped DVD and the downloaded .MOV file burned using the above show no appreciable difference

DarkPenguin

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2007, 10:07:32 pm »

Giving that a try now.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2007, 12:52:35 am »

Worked peachy.  Haven't tried it in my dvd player yet but works fine on the PC.

Roxio choked completely.

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2007, 01:42:57 am »

Roxio has been bloat-ware for at least five years now. Nero was the light-wight contender but by the time I switched to Macs, it was nearly as bad.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 11:23:13 am by 61Dynamic »

Bob Nicholson

• http://www.airpixuk.com
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2007, 08:05:43 am »

AoA DVD Creator for Windows is as about as simple as it gets - just drag and drop content into the application and burn the DVD:

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110483\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just tried the upgrade to the latest version of Nero and it seem to cope quite well, at least on the computer screen, will try on the TV later.

As lond as I can create DVD's with as little hassle as this did, then I have no problem with the downloads. I am assuming that .mp4 files will work as well, but have no genuine ones to try.

Cheers

Bob

samirkharusi

• http://www.geocities.com/samirkharusi/
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2007, 11:45:47 am »

I must say that I am disappointed that we are never going to get an HD (1080)version of the Video Journal, but I suppose I can live with the download versions, provided it is easy and straightforward to view on a TV. I propose that we have a specific recommended software package that will work in Windows XP or Vista (or Apple, but I am no Apple user) with the steps spelt out to spew out a DVD that we can then play anywhere. I really hate wasting my time trying to figure out software. I was happy doing that 40 years ago, now it just leads me to curse incompetent programmers for non-intuitive interfaces. Eg I tried playing the HiRes sample offered. Plays OK on my PC monitor (little picture), but I have no clue where the downloaded file is located so that I can drag it and burn a DVD! Do I really have to purchase Quicktime Pro just to "save" it?!

So please Chris Sanderson: look around for software that costs little and that those using XP and Vista can use to burn a DVD with the least hassle. Most of the objections expressed on this lengthy thread should then be appeased... Eg do I just need to purchase Quicktime Pro and AoA DVD Creator and all will be bliss?
Bored? Peruse my website: [url=http://ww

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2007, 12:22:54 pm »

Sam - I'll just jump in here

To view the videos , either Quicktime or another app capable of viewing .mov files is needed.  I personally use and recommend VLC:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

To transfer/convert/burn the videos to DVD there are a *ton* of options.  I found AoA DVD for Windows environments to be *really* easy.  It's not free ($29.00 US - download gives you a free 7 day trial) but it does a very good job at converting between the embedded .mp4 video to the mp2 format DVD content - not all converters do as well, probably there are some out there that are even better . . .

http://www.aoamedia.com/dvdcreator.htm

One advantage of Michael/Chris' decision is that the .mp4 format is open ended - allowing for the possibility of HD content in the future

hope this helps - John

61Dynamic

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2007, 01:19:02 pm »

One advantage of Michael/Chris' decision is that the .mp4 format is open ended - allowing for the possibility of HD content in the future
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110816\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
H.264 (also called MPEG-4 or AVC) is one of three standard formats used for HD content on Blu-Ray and HD DVD.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2007, 09:08:59 pm »

I must say that I am disappointed that we are never going to get an HD (1080)version of the Video Journal[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110807\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Never say never ( I didn't). At this point, it is just highly unlikely to be on a HD-DVD or BluRay disk. But as suggested, that certainly does not preclude some other HD solution.
Do I really have to purchase Quicktime Pro just to "save" it?! //
... Eg do I just need to purchase Quicktime Pro and AoA DVD Creator and all will be bliss?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110807\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Since you already have the files, they do not need 'saving'.
You do _not_ need QuickTime Pro to play the files - only to export them out to another format through QuickTime. Solution: use another free player that _can_ export them.
Chris S
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 09:17:17 pm by Chrissand »

michael

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2007, 09:58:03 pm »

Back Issue #14 is now online and available for download.

Michael

alain

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2007, 03:31:25 am »

Back Issue #14 is now online and available for download.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110920\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Hi Michael

Is a package with several "old" issues for download a possibility?  This depends off course on the payment transaction cost, I don't know wether there's an advantage in doing bigger transactions.

Alain

michael

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2007, 06:43:25 am »

Yes, there will be bundles of issues once we have them ready for online distribution. Particularly the older ones.

Michael

61Dynamic

« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2007, 04:10:43 pm »

For anyone using an AppleTV this article has some good info for encoding files for it if necessary.

andythom68

« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2007, 04:31:57 am »

There has been a couple of posts concerning the loss of menu navigation with the download version and I think there is a simple solution that Chris/Michael could implement: produce a HTML file for each issue which can be downloaded. This could be a simple ZIP archive consisting of a "index.html" file and a directory for navigation images. Then you just need to extract the files to the same directory as your LLVJ video downloads and click on the links to play the video.

There does not need to be anything complicated in the HTML file. Only needs a screen grab as a thumbnail for each video file link and some text describing the content of the file.

This has the added advantage you could bookmark the LLVJ in your browser.

As more video files for a issue become available to download the HTML file can be updated by Chris/Michael. All we need to do then is download the HTML file again with the updates. Such a file/ZIP archive would not be very large and only take seconds to download.

Has something like this already been considered?

Any thoughts / suggestions ... ?

mikealex

• http://www.pbase.com/mikealex
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2007, 07:58:32 am »

There are a number of people who prefer to watch the LLVJ on a nice comfy couch, in front of the TV, instead of sitting in an office chair in front of a computer. Our intention is to burn the video files to DVD so we can continue to do that. It is the menu on the DVD that is the concern. I could care less about an HTML page to find the video files on my computer.
...Mike

andythom68

« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2007, 09:33:43 am »

In response to mikealex there are according to these forums a number of people who:-

1) Can't download 4.3GB of data - due to bandwidth or ISP/cost restrictions
    (In the future everyone will have a big pipe connection but that is X years away)

2) Do not have the equipment to burn a DVD

3) Do not want to spend the time / effort to create a DVD even if the above do not apply to them or

4) Normally watch the DVD on a computer and are happy with the quality of the video downloads and / or do not want to wait for a ISO several weeks after the initial release.

Personally I would have no problem if/when DVD ISO's become available, it gives you the best of both worlds - easy navigation and can be played on a TV or computer (once burnt to a DVD of course). But there will be a number of people who fall into one or more of the above categories and a HTML file is a simple method of providing them with some degree of navigation. Of course, it may never happen - it is only a suggestion I made  :-)

I don't see a problem with the LLVJ being offered as both a series of files and a DVD ISO. You pick the version best suited to your needs ...

mikealex

• http://www.pbase.com/mikealex
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2007, 11:28:16 am »

No argument, but I was one of the first to raise the point that having to burn our own DVD's, for those who don't want to watch on a computer screen, that we will have to build our own menus for those DVDs.

You seem to be offering a solution without understanding the problem that was raised. I'm just clarifying the problem, and why your solution won't work for that particular problem.

I'll be happy with DVD ISO's, but I don't see a commitment to it as of yet. Chris says he believes it's viable, but doesn't go so far as to say that it "will" happen. I also wonder, if it happens at all, if it will continue after DVD's are phased out, or if it will only happen for as long as the DVDs are available.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 11:31:38 am by mikealex »
...Mike

ARCASWISS

« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2007, 11:28:55 pm »

Just downloaded issue 16.  I really do like this way of receiving the Journal and feel it's far superior to the snail mail hardcopy process.  Great idea guys ! (and a very nice issue...)

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2007, 06:14:19 am »

No, it will not be the same product. It will be poorer video quality, and will not have the navigation menus of the current DVDs (you will have to build your own menu to navigate the DVD content).
Michael, a thought I had as I was walking the dogs. If the decision to go to exclusively downloadable video has been made and is final, have you considered offering a DVD ISO file option for download? I realize that the files are large (4.7GB), but burning an ISO file to DVD is trivial, only takes a few minutes, and will enable you to deliver the identical content at the same high quality as you deliver today on DVD. This is an option that I could live with.

I realize that DVD ISOs are too large for some to download, so the QT files would still be required.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109366\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great suggestion!  I'm in favor of this. Just post the DVD image file on an FTP server and allow user access with a password issued to VJ subscribers. That way we can continue to enjoy the DVD quality and take advantage of TV room comfort (In my case, 52" plasma and surround sound).

My 2 cents.
Bud James
North Wales, PA
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

Frank Doorhof

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2007, 02:50:07 am »

I'm in favour of that too, and would immediatly change my subscription.

You have to remember alot of people nowadays watch via projection/50" plasma etc.

Although 640x320 videosize looks nice on a normal size TV, it looks dreadful on my projector.
Well it's watchable but you make such stunning images from nature which is full of fine detail if you loose that it's just a shame
I downloaded the highres sample to watch on the projector and although it's much much better than some youtube vids  I can see alot of loss in detail in the hairs and in the background, also some shimmering is introduced which will be killer when filming in a forest.

Download of an ISO will cost more money and I would be willing to pay let's say 14.00 instead of the 9,95 just to keep the quality up.
And would be willing to pay up to 25,00 for the HD version, which by the way could be stored in WMVHD which is very effective for storage.

Greetings,
Frank
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up