Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dust Bunny Bug  (Read 7129 times)

timhurst

• Tim Hurst Photography
Dust Bunny Bug
« on: March 28, 2007, 04:40:30 pm »

Hello,

Had a look round the Adobe forums but couldn't find any mention of this. I'm pretty certain it's an unknown bug and worth letting others know about it. I tried posting on the Adobe forum but got a bit lost so thought here would suffice!

I was nearly finished batching through 600 files using the photoshop image processor script to convert from tif to jpeg when Photoshop choked on one of the files as it was being saved. I restarted, skipping that file but it choked on another 4 throwing an unkown error dialog. After several tedious hours messing about with file types and metadata in Photoshop and Lightroom I finaly discovered that the cause was due to a liberal use of the clone and heal tools in Lightroom on the offending files. Clearing the heal spots and re-exporting solved the problem completely. I would say there were maybe 100 odd spot heals used on the files. These were expecially dirty captures and I've not had a problem on any other files with moderate healing/cloning.

As far as I can work out this is what is happening but there are quite possibly more variations:
Lots of cloning (100+ roughly) in LR 1.0 affects exported files (tif,psd - not checked others) by causing Photoshop CS2 to fail with an unknown error when using "save as" to jpeg on a WinXP SP2 PC.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 06:10:32 pm by timhurst »

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
Dust Bunny Bug
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 06:05:14 pm »

Tim:

I'm not sure I get it. You started with raw files, added 100 (roughly) dust fixes, exported to tifs and then used the PS image processor script to turn those into jpegs?

If that's what you did, the dust fixes wouldn't have anything to do with the image processor choking. Once the files are tiffs, what you did to them in LR has nothing to do with the files -- they're just zeroes and ones.

If I have this wrong, just let me know.

I HAVE seen the image processor choke before but only when I have mixed ProPhoto and sRGB files and I check "convert to sRGB" in the image processor. Could this be what heppened?

Tom

timhurst

• Tim Hurst Photography
Dust Bunny Bug
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 06:31:12 pm »

Tim:

I'm not sure I get it. You started with raw files, added 100 (roughly) dust fixes, exported to tifs and then used the PS image processor script to turn those into jpegs?

If that's what you did, the dust fixes wouldn't have anything to do with the image processor choking. Once the files are tiffs, what you did to them in LR has nothing to do with the files -- they're just zeroes and ones.

If I have this wrong, just let me know.

I HAVE seen the image processor choke before but only when I have mixed ProPhoto and sRGB files and I check "convert to sRGB" in the image processor. Could this be what heppened?

Tom
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109217\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey Tom,

I'm not sure I get it either! As you say it's all just ones and zeros - and Photoshop is no help as the error is "unknown".

It took hours but I managed to isolate the dust correction as the one variable that caused this anomaly. Nothing else had an effect. With a large amount of dust spotting  the converted tiff or psd files would throw an exception in PS when saving as jpeg (using the image processor script or save as menu command - I didn't try save for web). If the dust spotting was cleared the converted files would behave completely normally. FYI all images were in Adobe98.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 06:09:45 pm by timhurst »

Kuryan Thomas

Dust Bunny Bug
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 09:09:23 am »

I wonder if the problem is with the XMP metadata that would be embedded into the TIFF. Lightroom will write XMP into TIFF files, but I'm not sure whether it will write its develop settings as well. It does for Raw files.

It's at least conceivable that a huge volume of XMP required to describe 100+ dust spot settings may be messing up your TIFF.

Try this: when you get the Export dialog in Lightroom, check the option that says "Minimize Embedded Metadata." No guarantees, but maybe worth a shot?

timhurst

• Tim Hurst Photography
Dust Bunny Bug
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 05:21:05 pm »

I wonder if the problem is with the XMP metadata that would be embedded into the TIFF. Lightroom will write XMP into TIFF files, but I'm not sure whether it will write its develop settings as well. It does for Raw files.

It's at least conceivable that a huge volume of XMP required to describe 100+ dust spot settings may be messing up your TIFF.

Try this: when you get the Export dialog in Lightroom, check the option that says "Minimize Embedded Metadata." No guarantees, but maybe worth a shot?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109350\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi there, good idea... "minimize embedded meta data" cleared the problem too. So looks like to be an XMP problem. Do you know why this spotting data would be written to the file at all? Seems an odd thing to do.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 05:22:12 pm by timhurst »

seanmcfoto

Dust Bunny Bug
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 07:05:43 pm »

Hi there, good idea... "minimize embedded meta data" cleared the problem too. So looks like to be an XMP problem. Do you know why this spotting data would be written to the file at all? Seems an odd thing to do.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109469\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It's written so ACR4 can apply it when opened in Photoshop.
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
Dust Bunny Bug
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 08:44:53 pm »

It's written so ACR4 can apply it when opened in Photoshop.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109494\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Really? From a tiff? I thought ACR4 would read raw files.

francois

Dust Bunny Bug
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 02:42:18 am »

Really? From a tiff? I thought ACR4 would read raw files.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109508\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It looks like ACR 4 can open RAW files along with TIFF and JPEG files!
Francois

timhurst

• Tim Hurst Photography
Dust Bunny Bug
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 03:20:50 pm »

There really is no reason (except for reference) to include cloning meta data (or any develop settings) as the pixels have already been re-arranged and re-encoded making past cloning data completely redundant.

Just checked in the file info advanced tab in PS of a tiff with too much cloning. Inside "http://ns.adobe.com/camera-raw-settings/1.0/" is a full audit of develop settings. Under "retouchinfo" is a rather large list (115) of cloning coordinates.

Using minimise embedded meta data isn't much of a fix as it also leaves out all the keywords. But you can delete the problem "retouchinfo" xmp thread in File Info in PS and it will then save as jpeg with no problem.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 06:08:30 pm by timhurst »

francois

Dust Bunny Bug
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 05:15:00 am »

That's besides the point though. A TIFF or any other file that is spat out of Lightroom is just the input file (be it RAW, TIFF or jpeg) with massaged pixels, or shiny new pixels to be more specific in the case of a RAW file, and meta data.
I was replying to Tom, not trying to explain or link ACR4 to the dust correction bug.
Francois

timhurst

• Tim Hurst Photography
Dust Bunny Bug
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 06:18:08 am »

I was replying to Tom, not trying to explain or link ACR4 to the dust correction bug.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109842\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

noted, apologies

francois

Dust Bunny Bug
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 09:34:49 am »

noted, apologies
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109846\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Tim,
No problem

Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up