Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting Ricoh GX-100  (Read 9700 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Interesting Ricoh GX-100
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 07:34:54 pm »

Why is that so?  My little Olympus XA did nicely with a full size 35mm film frame.  And I still have a Pentax 28-90 zoom 35mm compact that's reasonably small.

What keeps a manufacturer from dropping a FF sensor, or even a 1.3x or 1.6x sensor, into a compact body like that?  Surely the associated electronics aren't so bulky?
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110579\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nill,

I misunderstood your initial point, sorry. Yes, there are probably not technical reasons why a compact with an APS sensor couldn't be done.

The reason why manufacturers aren't doing it is simple margins... the small sensors appear to be very cheap, almost free... but since most buyers only look at the MP figure, they would mostly not be willing to pay more for a larger sensor, which would mean much smaller margins.

Another reason I believe is that consumers have been used to compact digital cameras with zoom lenses covering a huge range. Look at the Sony 828 to see how big a lens has to be to cover an APS sensor with a similar range.

Besides, the camera manufacturers probably try to keep selling DSLRs that are a potentially much more profitable business in the long run thanks to lenses sales... and thanks to the fact that a DSLR kind of forces the customer to stick to the brand.

Finally, Sony appears to be the only provider of APS sensors on the market today, do we know for a fact that they agree to sell these sensors to companies willing to use them in compact digital cameras?

Considering all these facts, established camera companies appear to have all agreed not to go there.  Sigma, playing their traditional role of independant company, is trying something now.

Regards,
Bernard

aaykay

Interesting Ricoh GX-100
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 08:38:38 pm »

You are kidding right?   
Or do you have shakey vision due to the DTs or something? It's not an SLR and even if it was it wouldn't matter as I don't use my retina to do the image capture.
Again, you've got to be kidding!?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110676\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why do you think I am kidding ?  Why is a shaky image in your viewfinder, connected to "shakey vision" ?  It is a fact that these sensor-shifting IS systems DO NOT stabilize the image that you see in your viewfinder which you use to frame and meter.  Especially significant at longer focal lengths.  Do you feel otherwise ? Explain please.

Granted the above is not an issue at the types of focal lengths we are looking at, in this particular Ricoh.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Interesting Ricoh GX-100
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2007, 08:23:35 am »

Why do you think I am kidding ?  Why is a shaky image in your viewfinder, connected to "shakey vision" ?
Missed the point.  
It is a fact that these sensor-shifting IS systems DO NOT stabilize the image that you see in your viewfinder which you use to frame and meter.  Especially significant at longer focal lengths.  Do you feel otherwise ? Explain please.
Yes. It doesn't matter, unless you have shakey vision!  
It's only the sharpness of the captured image that matters.
It's not only relevent to long lenses as short lenses and low shutter speeds have just a big a problem with camera shake.
But it's not really important when looking through viewfinder.

Granted the above is not an issue at the types of focal lengths we are looking at, in this particular Ricoh.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110691\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you think it's not relevent. why even mention it?
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

aaykay

Interesting Ricoh GX-100
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 03:24:04 pm »

It's only the sharpness of the captured image that matters.

Really ?  Ever tried metering a terribly shaky image in your viewfinder (or LCD as the case may be) ?  

I find your post had a lot of quotes but very little substance.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up