Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad 50mm CF vs CF/CFi FLE w/digital  (Read 12729 times)

ngophotographer

Hasselblad 50mm CF vs CF/CFi FLE w/digital
« on: March 28, 2007, 01:26:25 pm »

Hi all:

I'm hoping this question makes sense and am looking for concrete experience with these lenses.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to a CF/CFi FLE 50mm to actually test.  

I use my CF 50mm with a P back and am happy with it so far.  I was wondering if I would notice any difference between the CF and a CF/CFi FLE version?  Generally, I am doing near far or focusing in the range of 50ft to infinity.

Some people "say" that CFi or FLE versions have better edge-to-edge performance and "flare resistance".  I find that the P backs are very unforgiving with lens problems so any optical improvement is welcome.

However, since I haven't used or tested, I'm concerned these comments may in fact be sample variance issues or "spec opinions" as opposed to objective/subjective differences discovered in the field.

Does anyone have concrete experience with comparing these lenses and a digital back?  

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best regards,

Rich
NGOphotgrapher
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:27:00 pm by ngophotographer »

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 06:55:14 pm »

I have only tested the CF50(non FLE) VS the CFI 50 with film and there is a big difference in overall quality. The CF 50 is softish on the outer 3rd of the frame until F16, by which time the overall contrast is reduced. The CF (FLE) and CFI which are the same barring some extra internal light baffling are both superb wide open, stopped down, at distance or close-up.

I cannot say that i have used the 50CFI on my 'P' back as i now only use the 60CFI and 40CFEIF which are both 1st class with digital, however knowing the performance of the 50CFI i would not hesitate to shoot with it with any 'P' back.

Gary.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 02:42:20 am »

I have only tested the CF50(non FLE) VS the CFI 50 with film and there is a big difference in overall quality. The CF 50 is softish on the outer 3rd of the frame until F16, by which time the overall contrast is reduced. The CF (FLE) and CFI which are the same barring some extra internal light baffling are both superb wide open, stopped down, at distance or close-up.

I cannot say that i have used the 50CFI on my 'P' back as i now only use the 60CFI and 40CFEIF which are both 1st class with digital, however knowing the performance of the 50CFI i would not hesitate to shoot with it with any 'P' back.

Gary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109240\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How is that possible? According to Zeiss is the CF optically the same as the CFi (well at least according the person working for Zeiss I normally get messages from). Could your experience have been sample variation or am I just misinformed?

It would be nice to know what is correct. I am looking for a 50FLE for my 503 and buy CF glass for it since I am only interested in the quality of glass. When CFi does have different glass and a better optical formule than CF I will start buying CFi glass. At the moment I find glass the weakest link most of the time.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 02:45:01 am by Dustbak »

Gary Yeowell

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 05:27:00 am »

The CF (Non FLE) is a very old lens design and is not the same as the CF FLE or CFI version. As i said the CF FLE version is optically the same as the CFI, however the CFI has some better internal light baffling which may help into the light but i have not seen any difference.

From your post it was indicated that you were using the non FLE version of the CF, and as such you are using an inferior lens, you may wish to clarify as you have been misinformed.

Gary.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 05:29:04 am by Gary Yeowell »

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 11:45:51 am »

The CF (Non FLE) is a very old lens design and is not the same as the CF FLE or CFI version. As i said the CF FLE version is optically the same as the CFI, however the CFI has some better internal light baffling which may help into the light but i have not seen any difference.

From your post it was indicated that you were using the non FLE version of the CF, and as such you are using an inferior lens, you may wish to clarify as you have been misinformed.

Gary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109326\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gary,

I was not referring to the 50 here but to the overall difference between CF and CFi lenses.

I have been told there is no optical difference between CF lenses and CFi lenses. If there is a difference I am misinformed.

I am looking to get a 50. I know the non-FLE version is inferior to the FLE version. I do want a FLE and when the CF versions are optically equal to the CFi it will be a CF.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 11:47:53 am by Dustbak »

ngophotographer

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 01:19:41 pm »

Gary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109240\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Gary:

Thanks for the information.  I appreciate hearing from people who have actually used the lenses!!  If you have experienced that dramatic of difference with film, I will definitely notice it with digital.

I will probably purchase a CF/CFi FLE version   , depending on condition and price to replace my "aging" CF 50mm.  Thank you again.

Best regards,

Rich
NGOphotographer
Pages: [1]   Go Up