Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Street work to Billboard size - MF or 1Ds2?  (Read 6078 times)

narikin

Street work to Billboard size - MF or 1Ds2?
« on: March 28, 2007, 12:06:03 pm »

I seem to have a big international job coming up for a client that is going to involve a lot of street work, and multiple usage - some may even go up to Billboard size.  Now of course I can shoot it all on my Contax with P45, but... it would be a heck of a lot easier to use a 1Ds2  with the Canons amazing AF and speed to get whats needed. the images may end up being better even.

can 1Ds2 be blown up to billboard - or is it just too small a file?
or would you use the P45 and be done with it?

also:
opinions on releases for faces in the background for such use? (totally commercial)
I know anyone who is a main foreground figure I need a release, but someone perhaps crossing the street in the mid distance...?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 12:08:31 pm by narikin »

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 12:30:47 pm »

I seem to have a big international job coming up for a client that is going to involve a lot of street work, and multiple usage - some may even go up to Billboard size.  Now of course I can shoot it all on my Contax with P45, but... it would be a heck of a lot easier to use a 1Ds2  with the Canons amazing AF and speed to get whats needed. the images may end up being better even.

also:
opinions on releases for faces in the background for such use? (totally commercial)
I know anyone who is a main foreground figure I need a release, but someone perhaps crossing the street in the mid distance...?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109136\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello, I had exactly the same problem to solve a week ago. The agency wanted 200 MB as file size to make various posters up to billboard size out of it. They didn't like the idea of uprezing a MKII file that large. In the end I used large format and did some scans, because architectural shooting was included and this way straight lines were straight, without any hassle.

But actually I don't know out of experience if the canon file will hold up well to uprezing so much.

Regrds
Heinrich

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 01:31:50 pm »

I seem to have a big international job coming up for a client that is going to involve a lot of street work, and multiple usage - some may even go up to Billboard size.  Now of course I can shoot it all on my Contax with P45, but... it would be a heck of a lot easier to use a 1Ds2  with the Canons amazing AF and speed to get whats needed. the images may end up being better even.

also:
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109136\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I AM NOT A LAWYER

but I think in terms of release the phrase is 'significant portion of the image'

which is basically judged on two criteria

would the image be 'significantly altered' if this person was changed (for someone else) or removed

If the answer is no then they are not a 'significant portion of the image' and release is not requred

but who knows I AM NOT A LAWYER

In terms of the image quality it is a trade off gut they cant expect you to do the impossible - communicate with the client and show them files ??

but maybe communication and client dont go in the same sentance

The famous image of Che is half a high iso 35mm neg - rubbish compared to a canon file - billboard use ? - im sure it has been - so billboard doesnt always mean quality

SMM
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:34:25 pm by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

stevecoleccs

• http://www.stevecole.com
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 01:42:45 pm »

Talk to the agency digital dept. & ask them. I have done more than one job
with the images from a 1ds MKll where the images were used as billboards
with no problems. The bottom line "ask before you shoot"- maybe the agency already has  experience billboards from cannon files.

You can also output a 6x7 trans from the 1dsMKll file & then have the
trans scanned to the right size.

Randal32

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 01:49:35 pm »

I have used a 4MP image from the original 1D for a Billboard.  If exposed and processed correctly it looks perfect and you wont be able to tell.  

I have heard that you really only need 8X10 at 300 DPI "native" for billboards.

Stick with the Mark II

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 02:01:49 pm »

the most rez you'll ever need is for high end litho printing, ie a 24x36 (inches) poster, after that, rez starts to go down.

now there are a bunch of other usages, mostly large format, that require X size @ 150 or 200 DPI, but a billboard is aorund 50-75 DPI @ final size

SO, communication w/ client is essential to make usre all the bases are covered. a competent studio person @ the agency should be able to answer your questions

the digital to film and then scan is a solution I've seen work in the past as well...

jim
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:02:13 pm by jimgolden »

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 02:07:53 pm »

A lot of billboards here are done from artrwork that's A3 (297x420mm) at 300 dpi, easy for a 1DSII if there's not much cropping.

The question shoud be what camera will get you the best shot..

narikin

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 02:37:28 pm »

thank you all.
I'm going to try and persuade them to be happy with 1Ds2, as street work benefits so much from that cameras qualities, though I will take both with me on location.

didnt realize that billboards are so low res before they are enlarged...

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 05:32:18 pm »

thank you all.
I'm going to try and persuade them to be happy with 1Ds2, as street work benefits so much from that cameras qualities, though I will take both with me on location.

didnt realize that billboards are so low res before they are enlarged...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109181\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

ive shot at least a dozen billboards with the 1ds mk2. because of the crop, and that the canon format is so wide, i dont see a lot of difference between my p25 and canon for sharpness. i wou.dnt be surprised if the canon had more resolution in that format, one of you maths guys could tell me. of cause the p45 has a lot more detail, but you can see my point.

its the dynamic range/ tone gradiants of the p25 that really blows the canon out of the water.
my retouchers can get a way nicer colour grade out of the phase without the colours reaching their limits.

but i find DPS in magazines far more demanding for resolution than billboards. i can often tell a canon look (just like its easy to tell the horrible h1 lens blur). thers nothing wrong with having too much resolution though. a lot of jewlery shots where done on 10x8, even though they where only shown on a4.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 07:47:35 am »

For handheld capture the moment street work it would be less likely that you would notice a difference between the Canon and MF, there was a billboard near hear about a year ago shot with a 5D, it was a picture of someone crossing the road with cars blurred as they shot by, damn but I couldn't have critisized it for not being MF...
Pages: [1]   Go Up