Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do I need a postscript Wide Format Printer?  (Read 5692 times)

sstein

Do I need a postscript Wide Format Printer?
« on: March 28, 2007, 09:04:02 am »

I had posted previously regarding advice in purchasing the HP 5500ps, or the Canon iPF 8000.  I'm still confused and haven't made up my mind. One question I have is: Do I NEED a postscript printer??  In my office we printer from 2 windows-based PCs and 1 Mac. We currently RIP through an Edox server.

After looking at all of the printer out there (we need a 42" or 44") I've noticed that some of them are advertised as PS and some are not. I know this is a really basic question, but I'm not sure about the whole postscript thing, and I don't want to make a mistake in purchasing a WFP that is not going to print the myriad of fonts we use, etc.

If someone can enlighten me, I'd certainly appreciate it!

Doombrain

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 10:37:05 am »

more important is does your software support the printers?

sstein

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 10:59:00 am »

I have no idea.....how do I check that?

I am planning on buying RIP software and server to support the new printer. Will the RIP take care of the PS issue?

Doombrain

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 11:42:41 am »

if you're running a software RIP, you won't need a hardware RIP in the printer. you really need to be asking these questions to your supplier.
talk to technical, not sales or you'll be buying stuff you don't need.

Arhaeus

• http://
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 07:08:32 am »

After 11 years of experience in printing area Firma 9 Advertising Production form Cluj-Napoca Romania recommend the PS printers with no reserves. We have both PS printers and non PS printers, an Hp DJ 2500 PS, Hp LJ 9500 PS HDN, Hp LJ 8150 PS DN, non PS: Minolta Dialta Color, Docu Color 6060, Hp DJ 3500. From our experience non PS are not reliable in terms of printing consistency and color proofing. For instance the Hp Dj 3500 needs periodical color calibration as for the old 2500 PS, it works with the original firmware (it has 11 years!) without any major problem.
I just reprinted an image with UV inks that was printed 6 years ago on the same material, and it looks exactly the same! You won’t get that kind of consistency with a non PS printer no matter what software postscript you use.
The HP 3500 it has less details in shadows and he can not match the colors of HP 2500 PS no matter how you modify your file or calibrate the RIP.  
Another bonus for PS is that you can print from every program and computer with out the need of software RIP.
Who wants to see an recent example could observe the “deep red color” problem from Z3100, and the numerous firmware updates to correct it. We waited all these years for an printer to replace our Hp Dj 2500PS and we found it in Z3100PS, that is available from april. It is much cheaper that HP DJ 5500 PS and did not need ink replacements when you print with UV inks. The printing speed is greater and the overall costs are lower, the only advantage is that HP Dj 5500 it could print on 60 in and Z3100 only on 44 in.
I wonder why HP has waited so long to make available on the market the PS version of Z3100… Some could say that they waited for a mature firmware, or for more tests on the usage of 12 colors for the software rip that is embedded inside the printer…
On short terms… you will pay more for a PS printer but will well worth it. Now Hp has developed the Dream Color concept that promotes the consistency of color across different printers. No wonder they are all PS (except for B9180 that target the home & home office environment)…
Pages: [1]   Go Up