Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Custom Web Gallery  (Read 12616 times)

scott_dobry

• http://www.scottdobry.com
Best Custom Web Gallery
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 11:59:30 am »

Randal, your site design works for me.
Feel free to check mine out if you get a chance.

Scott
www.scottdobry.com
[span style='color:orange'][url=http://w

Pete JF

Best Custom Web Gallery
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 12:38:21 pm »

Ha...Randal's site is excellent. Clean, simple..I'm not sure what you guys are seeing or not seeing here but I can read everything I need to read. I can leave my mouse on the forward arrow and just click it..it doesn't jump around..neato and good work.

The type is a bit pastel and washed but I can read it..this from a guy who's eyes need some contrast to be happy when reading.

Off center? Why should it be centered? Who said anything should be centered? The Church Lady may want everything centered, balanced and in three's, but it looks fine to me.

That old Design vs Usability argument does not apply here. I got through the site with no usability issues...I used the crap out of it and then dumped it for another hotty..so be it.

: )

Edit..Scott...Good work on your site but IMO tooo much Flash play going on..slow fades, stuff moving. I like how the next image number shifts to your mouse point so you don't have to move anything. All in all i think there is to much Flash messin around...give your web guy a spanking.

My rule for looking at portfolio websites is that I want to be as close as possible to the feeling of having my legs kicked up on a desk while flipping through a nice book. If stuff is moving around flashing and fading, im bugged ( I like a fade at a decent tempo but not to slow).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 12:48:00 pm by Pete JF »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Best Custom Web Gallery
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 08:13:44 pm »

and why would the page need to be centered?  are you a designer?[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109428\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Most sites benefit from centering, though I think yours get away with it OK.

But I'm viewing it on my compact laptop and was a bit bafffled about the navigation, as it was invisible due to being off the bottom of the page. Which is a bit daft, as site does actually fit quite icely on the screen, but only if scrolled down to get rid of the extra white dead space at top of screen. I like white space, but in this case it screws up the site on smaller monitors and will mean you'll lose some visitors needlessly.
BTW my browser has less clutter and more vertical site height than many people's set ups and my laptop monitor size is not that unusual - 1280x800px.
I like the site, bar the extraneous white space and the pointless enter page [pet hate of mine], but whatever the design someone will always carp.
Oh the pictures are quite nice too.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Chris_T

Best Custom Web Gallery
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 08:51:44 am »

Chris,

That thread is going to be my "bible" when I finally get around to updating my own much-less-than-perfect website. It really covers so many of the important issues so well. Thanks for all your contributions to it!

Eric
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110577\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric, thanks for the kind words. But a "bible"!?!? Gosh.

BTW, do drop by the "Keeping the Culture Alive" exhibit/salon near you. You'll be surprised who you may run into. Wink-wink.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Best Custom Web Gallery
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2007, 11:41:54 am »

BTW, do drop by the "Keeping the Culture Alive" exhibit/salon near you. You'll be surprised who you may run into. Wink-wink.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110782\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Wow! Hey thanks for the heads up, Chris. I wish I had known about Clement's talk earlier (Friday the 13th, in Brookline, Mass., for anybody near Boston that evening). It happens that I already have concert tickets for that evening, but I will definitely get over to see his show.

I guess I need to start checking local listings more often.  

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

jani

• Øyet
Best Custom Web Gallery
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2007, 02:41:03 pm »

That old Design vs Usability argument does not apply here. I got through the site with no usability issues...I used the crap out of it and then dumped it for another hotty..so be it.
If you think it does, then you've clearly not understood what the old Design vs. Usability argument is about.

I recommend reading some of Jakob Nielsen's work for starters.

Basically, usability isn't a one-size-fits-all thing.

For instance, Slashdot obviously has sufficient usability for most of their target audience, yet it probably isn't ideal for designers.

Happy reading.
Jan

Pete JF

Best Custom Web Gallery
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2007, 03:41:53 pm »

Jani, I found that site to be very usable. I go through it, enjoyed the work and I thought the design was fine..clean and crisp and It went with the general palette of the guys work. You may be misunderstanding the context of the guy's site.

How much more do I need to understand? His site has an obvious target market..high end advertsing..Why should he even consider any other demographic?

Jacob's work is familiar to me, Jani. I take him with the appropriate grain of salt. He has good practical ideas and observations about functionality, many of which I agree with. However, he is a bit extreme in many ways. IMO of course.

Most of his opinions and writings swirl around sites that are viewed by the greater world..commerce, public resource..on and on. His actual site is a menace to my eyes in some ways and I don't think it's  organization is reinforcing all of his beliefs. He could use a good designer : )

I strongly feel that context is very important here.  Photo portfolio sites, targeted to potential clients, tend to exist in a somewhat confined world where they need to project a certain image, an understanding of style..Photographers are appealing to designers, art directors, art buyers for work. Those folks look at lot of work and they do develop impressions about artists based on the look of a site...they are also very keen on usability and they hate clumsy sites. I am pretty damn sure that most who look at Randal's site, in his professional world, will have not many problems with his appraoch. Im sure he will tell you this and it's probably accurate.

Randal's site didn't cause me any problems. It was fast and friendly for me, I didn't have to move my mouse at all, once i was inside a gallery...just a click and a new image. I didn't find that the arrows were to small at all and the fact that they stayed in the same place, pictue to picture, was good. What resolution is your monitor set to?  

The little series of boxes you mentioned in an earlier post? Those just show you where you are in the gallery..near the beginning or near the end, strictly navigation on a line.

Why aren't there any thumbnails on that site? Well, that is a decision that a person needs to make...Many times, when a photographer is planning a book for snagging clients..he spends much time on the order and rhythm of the images, how and when to introduce spreads...there is a considered rhythm and order to the whole plan. Some photogs like to keep the next page as a surprise, like looking at an actual portfolio, where you don't see whats on the next page until you turn it over. There is merit and virtue in both approaches. There are also many designers in general that appreciate the fact that artist put energy into details of the ordering when presenting their work. So, to thumbnail or not to thumbnail?...I don't think you can argue for or against either one. It's a definite personal and conceptual choice that has much to do with how you want your work, to work.

Im not a fan of flash at all, I prefer HTML. However, if it's working ok and is relatively fast I can deal with it.

Randal32

Best Custom Web Gallery
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 03:46:57 pm »

Thanks for the replies.... interesting topic...

Pete, glad you see what my clients see =)

The thumbs are to show how far you are in the gallery and as a design element.  the reason the thumbs dont have pix in them is because it would make it harder and more cumbersome to update the site.  

i update my site almost every month in flash and couldnt imagine having to mess with thumbz too...

my site was designed on a mac for mac users... i know it has its pros and cons.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Best Custom Web Gallery
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2007, 05:13:34 pm »

my site was designed on a mac for mac users... i know it has its pros and cons.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=110860\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Much as I dislike Flash in general, and the arrogance of that fanboy BS, I am surprised your site is attracting criticism. It has a distinctive, coherent elegance, and works pretty well IMHO.

John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up