Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto ISO with Nikon  (Read 11016 times)

Giedo

Auto ISO with Nikon
« on: March 27, 2007, 11:39:18 am »

Recently I discovered that a friend of mine who shoots a Nikon 200D, could choose auto ISO from the menu in combination with a prefered shutter time, this is a very powerful tool.
More often than once I forget to change ISO in a suddenly darker enviroment or with a much longer lens attached, resulting in blurred pictures.

Canon (as far as I know) does not offer this. Only the 5D has something in auto shooting mode, but only up to ISO 400 and without the prefered shutter time...

I find more and more that Nikonoffers a very attractive package with the 200D. If I did not have all my L glass I would actually consider switching brands.
Giedo

Bobtrips

Auto ISO with Nikon
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 01:58:08 pm »

Recently I discovered that a friend of mine who shoots a Nikon 200D, could choose auto ISO from the menu in combination with a prefered shutter time, this is a very powerful tool.
More often than once I forget to change ISO in a suddenly darker enviroment or with a much longer lens attached, resulting in blurred pictures.

Canon (as far as I know) does not offer this. Only the 5D has something in auto shooting mode, but only up to ISO 400 and without the prefered shutter time...

I find more and more that Nikonoffers a very attractive package with the 200D. If I did not have all my L glass I would actually consider switching brands.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108978\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

My Pentax K100D also has this feature.  It allows you to set the upper range anywhere, incuding ISO 3200.  (I set it at ISO 800 max.)

Auto ISO, along with in-body IS, comes in handy for "street" shooting.

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
Auto ISO with Nikon
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 02:42:38 pm »

I believe you are wrong somewhat. The 5D, when in full auto mode and ISO Expansion set to ON, the ISO will vary depending on need between 50 and 3200. It does not have this feature outside of full auto. I have not used this feature given the nature of my work.

I understand your point about the Nikon feature except that you assume all DSLRs are designed for the same purpose----to shoot action where shutter speed priority is most desirable. However such features are of little interest to me. MPs, noise reduction at long exposures, availability of TS lenses etc. are most important to me. Canon, hands down, is best answering my needs. Could I do decent work with a Nikon? Of course, though there would be some compromises.

See my point? These broad generalizations about Canon vs. Nikon vs. whatever don't really shed much light except in relationship to specific usages.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 02:43:37 pm by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Giedo

Auto ISO with Nikon
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 05:12:10 am »

I believe you are wrong somewhat. The 5D, when in full auto mode and ISO Expansion set to ON, the ISO will vary depending on need between 50 and 3200. It does not have this feature outside of full auto. I have not used this feature given the nature of my work.

I understand your point about the Nikon feature except that you assume all DSLRs are designed for the same purpose----to shoot action where shutter speed priority is most desirable. However such features are of little interest to me. MPs, noise reduction at long exposures, availability of TS lenses etc. are most important to me. Canon, hands down, is best answering my needs. Could I do decent work with a Nikon? Of course, though there would be some compromises.

See my point? These broad generalizations about Canon vs. Nikon vs. whatever don't really shed much light except in relationship to specific usages.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108997\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Kirk, you're right about generalizations not being useful.
I did not mean to give this impression. It's just that ISO is really a third variable (besides exposure and aperture) with digital shooting and that Canon does not gives us - photographers - the optimal control over this feature. Here other brands seem to go ahead!
Giedo

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Auto ISO with Nikon
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 09:26:23 pm »

Hi there,

Auto ISO is a great feature, easy to implement and that has the potential to help many photographers getting the best possible image quality for a given scene.

For street photography for instance, I consider it the biggest breakthrough since VR.

Just like clean high iso, you can work without it and people have for decades, but having auto iso does significantly increase the ratio between keepers and image quality.

All cameras will have it in 2 years from now and people, once they start using it won't underdstand why some brands have been resiting this long...

A great thing with auto ISO is that you can check after the deed what ISO you actually needed to shoot a scene. I have found out that the value is often lower than the one I thought I would have to use. The fact is that auto ISO is the best way to lower the average value of the ISO used when shooting.

Regards,
Bernard
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 09:30:09 pm by BernardLanguillier »

robertwatcher

Auto ISO with Nikon
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 07:53:17 am »

I use Auto ISO with my D200, for my documentary style wedding and Love Story work. Actually for the past 3 years or so I have been as my D70's also contain this feature. I really like being able to control the points where changes will be made. It has worked very well for me and saved me many times, in situations where I probably would have forgotten to change the ISO - or more than likely just would not have bothered changing it in a fast paced shooting situation. 2 things  with AUTO ISO on the Nikons - - - it only goes to 1600ISO and so does not take advantage of the 3200 setting - - - there is no way that I have found to get it to work when using flash on my camera which means that I can only benefit from it when shooting natural light work. But I'll put up with these minor shortcomings. Automation is wonderful and increasingly more useful, dependable, customizable, and accurate
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 07:55:16 am by robertwatcher »

Pete Johnson

Auto ISO with Nikon
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 12:22:30 pm »

There is a down side to Auto ISO. When shooting studio work with flash, the camera will meter first, turn up the ISO rating and then fire the flash units - which you've probably set up for an exposure at 100 ISO or 200 ISO.
The result is you get hideously overexposed images, with no apparent cause until you look in the EXIF data and spot the ISO used was something like 1600!

NikosR

• http://
Auto ISO with Nikon
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 07:19:25 am »

There is a down side to Auto ISO. When shooting studio work with flash, the camera will meter first, turn up the ISO rating and then fire the flash units - which you've probably set up for an exposure at 100 ISO or 200 ISO.
The result is you get hideously overexposed images, with no apparent cause until you look in the EXIF data and spot the ISO used was something like 1600!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=111713\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Using Auto ISO with studio flash would never cross my mind   This is not a down side. It is just a situation where this facility is not applicable. That's why you can turn it on and off at will.

Using Nikon flash, Auto ISO is disabled automatically.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 07:20:46 am by NikosR »
Nikos
Pages: [1]   Go Up