Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: PTGui vs Autopano Pro vs PTAssembler  (Read 85538 times)

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
PTGui vs Autopano Pro vs PTAssembler
« on: March 27, 2007, 06:35:53 am »

Hello,

I'm testing all three programs right now and as soon as finished I will upload some results. Just wanted to ask who tested them before ? What did you find out ? What was the best ? Is there one best or is every programm doing something especially good ?

Thanks for the input.

Christopher
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 07:23:40 am »

My personnal opinion is that PTgui is head and shoulder above the competition.

Cheers,
Bernard

Chris_T

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 08:06:35 am »

Hello,

I'm testing all three programs right now and as soon as finished I will upload some results. Just wanted to ask who tested them before ? What did you find out ? What was the best ? Is there one best or is every programm doing something especially good ?

Thanks for the input.
Christopher
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108944\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

And don't forget Hugin, a freeware based on PT. I tried it very briefly with two well overlapped images, and didn't get too far. The UI is pretty daunting, and I don't understand it well enough from the available documentation. Perhaps that's my problem.

Would like to hear your results.

Chris_T

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 08:07:41 am »

My personnal opinion is that PTgui is head and shoulder above the competition.

Cheers,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108947\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can you elaborate why?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 08:45:11 am »

Can you elaborate why?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108950\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes,

I have tried several packages, including the expensive Realviz Stitcher, presented by many as The reference.

None of those could get even close to PTgui in terms of:

1. Ability to do fully automated stitches,
2. Ability to retouch by hand and ease of doing so,
3. Stability when dealing with huge images,
4. Ability to compensate for slightly off axis images even with wide angles and a close foreground
5. Image quality,
6. Options in terms of outputing PS format for manual retouching.

I don't even want to waste time looking any further, none of the gear I use is as close to perfection as PTgui for panorama.

Regards,
Bernard

Christopher

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 08:46:13 am »

Can you elaborate why?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108950\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Here is the first test result:

I think I know why he said what he said ;-). The images show it. Now i'm testing the second one.

I did not include PTA or PS CS3 because both were much worse. I only show the two best.

Pano Pro
[attachment=2184:attachment]
PTGui
[attachment=2186:attachment]

Full cropped Panorama:
[attachment=2187:attachment]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 08:48:43 am by Christopher »
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Christopher

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 09:54:53 am »

Ok here is a second test image and I think it really shows HOW GOOD PTGui is.

Again the best two were PTGui and Autopano Pro. PS CS3 was worst.

Full image:
[attachment=2190:attachment]

Pano pro
[attachment=2188:attachment]

PTGui
[attachment=2189:attachment]

To sum it up I think all three programs are good, but I really never thought that PTGui could improve my stitches so much. I always thought that PTAssembler was as good as it gets. I will do some more tests in the future and if anything new comes up i will post it here.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Panascape

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 10:16:06 am »

I have used, and own, many panoramic packages and now use PTGUI for all my panoramic stitching.

Ray

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 10:26:01 am »

I attempted to trial autopano pro but it wouldn't let me. Not only did all images end up in the sRGB color space, and not only could I not save any resulting stitched images, but the trial program wouldn't even let me examine the joins in full resolution.

I can't have any dealings with such a company on principle. I'd prefer a fully operational trial for 30 days with no restriction on saving and no logos plastered all over the image. However, I'll accept a few logos as a modest expression of paranoia. But no saving and no full resolution is total paranoia.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 10:31:06 am by Ray »

Christopher

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 10:28:42 am »

I attempted to trial autopano pro would it wouldn't let me. Not only did all images end up in the sRGB color space, and not only could I not save any resulting stitched images, but the trial program wouldn't even let me examine the joins in full resolution.

I can't have any dealings with such a company on principle. I'd prefer a fully operational trial for 30 days with no restriction on saving and no logos plastered all over the image. However, I'll accept a few logos as a modest expression of paranoia. But no saving and no full resolution is total paranoia.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108967\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All test were done with trial versions and i had no problems saving images in full size.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Ray

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 10:50:08 am »

All test were done with trial versions and i had no problems saving images in full size.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108969\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's odd, because the website mentions that the save function is disabled in the trial version. What they didn't mention was that one couldn't view the stitched image in full resolution. On the other hand, maybe I just wasn't smart enough to figure out how to do this. There always a learning curve with such programs, but there's not much point in persevering if you can't get a full rez image.

On the other hand, it might just be due to an unannouced incompatibility with my Win XP 64 bit OS. Usually if programs don't work with a 64 bit OS there's some sort of indication when installing the program.

However, even in the low rez stitches, the color and contrast were way off.

I get the impression generally, that certain stitching programs might do a better job in auto mode with just a few images, but with a lot of images you might basically be stuffed, with no recourse to precise manual adjustment which also retains some degree of automatic color adjustment between frames, for example.

Maybe I should trial this program again on my 32 bit system. (But life's too short to mess around like this!)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 10:52:56 am by Ray »

Christopher

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 11:00:05 am »

That's odd, because the website mentions that the save function is disabled in the trial version. What they didn't mention was that one couldn't view the stitched image in full resolution. On the other hand, maybe I just wasn't smart enough to figure out how to do this. There always a learning curve with such programs, but there's not much point in persevering if you can't get a full rez image.

On the other hand, it might just be due to an unannouced incompatibility with my Win XP 64 bit OS. Usually if programs don't work with a 64 bit OS there's some sort of indication when installing the program.

However, even in the low rez stitches, the color and contrast were way off.

I get the impression generally, that certain stitching programs might do a better job in auto mode with just a few images, but with a lot of images you might basically be stuffed, with no recourse to precise manual adjustment which also retains some degree of automatic color adjustment between frames, for example.

Maybe I should trial this program again on my 32 bit system. (But life's too short to mess around like this!)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108972\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

All test were run with Windows XP Prof 64 bit system. All ran without any problems. But in the End I would say Autopano Pro is good, BUT not as good as PTGui.

P.S. Yes you only can't save the project files, but you can save the final pircture.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Monito

• MonitoPhoto
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 11:48:24 am »

Thank you for doing this comparison.  I am very interested in the results and in everyone's opinion.

PS CS3 was worst.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108964\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Which mode of PS CS3 stitching did you use? There are four and I've had reasonable to good results with Perspective mode, but I've not compared the way you have.

Christopher

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 01:05:32 pm »

Thank you for doing this comparison.  I am very interested in the results and in everyone's opinion.
Which mode of PS CS3 stitching did you use? There are four and I've had reasonable to good results with Perspective mode, but I've not compared the way you have.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108979\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok after your post I went back playing around and it reall is strange. On some images like the second one PS gives wonderful results, nearly as good as PTGui, but on others it is not as good. Perhaps if I find some time I will do some further testing, but right now I chose PTGui, because it gave me really good results on all images and it was fast.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Monito

• MonitoPhoto
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 03:33:27 pm »

Here is a stitch I made with a 10mm lens on 20D, four panels, so the perspective is a little strange.  PSCS3 did a good job, though it made a mistake.  Nonetheless I was impressed.

What I am looking for is a way to set control points with high resolution so that architecture can be stitched together with precision and accuracy.

Chris_T

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 08:51:20 am »

Thanks, that help. How steep is the learning curve to become proficient with PTgui?

Yes,

I have tried several packages, including the expensive Realviz Stitcher, presented by many as The reference.

None of those could get even close to PTgui in terms of:

1. Ability to do fully automated stitches,
2. Ability to retouch by hand and ease of doing so,
3. Stability when dealing with huge images,
4. Ability to compensate for slightly off axis images even with wide angles and a close foreground
5. Image quality,
6. Options in terms of outputing PS format for manual retouching.

I don't even want to waste time looking any further, none of the gear I use is as close to perfection as PTgui for panorama.

Regards,
Bernard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108952\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Chris_T

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 08:53:05 am »

I have used, and own, many panoramic packages and now use PTGUI for all my panoramic stitching.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108966\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In addition to Bernard's comments on PTgui, do you have more?

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 08:55:19 am »

With well shot images containing a reasonnable amount of texture in a sufficient part of the image, it takes about 5 minutes to come up with a first near perfect panorama.

I have never bothered reading the manual or any tutorial for that matter. I found it very intuitive to use.

Cheers,
Bernard

Chris_T

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 08:55:41 am »

Here is the first test result:

I think I know why he said what he said ;-). The images show it. Now i'm testing the second one.

I did not include PTA or PS CS3 because both were much worse. I only show the two best.

Pano Pro
[attachment=2184:attachment]
PTGui
[attachment=2186:attachment]

Full cropped Panorama:
[attachment=2187:attachment]
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108953\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the comparisons. Did you try PTAssembler as well?

Also, some context and pics of the unstitched image will help. Such as shot on tripod/panohead, resolution, etc.?

Christopher

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2007, 04:56:48 am »

Thanks for the comparisons. Did you try PTAssembler as well?

Also, some context and pics of the unstitched image will help. Such as shot on tripod/panohead, resolution, etc.?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109348\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes I tried it with PTAssembler, but it was not as good as it was with AutoPanoPro
Ok here we go:
Handheld, 16MP - 1DsMk2, 5 images, 24mm (24-105 f4 IS)

As said before PTGui is really amazing over the last week I stitched around 37 different Panos and all came out really good, some of them were shot under extrem conditions, handheld, 19mm, and not leveled correctly.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up