Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saving to Lightroom  (Read 2884 times)

seamus finn

Saving to Lightroom
« on: March 26, 2007, 02:06:57 pm »

Firstly, many congratulatons on the Lightroom Tutorial downloads - the bit of banter between Michael and Jeff added a touch of the humane to the clinical world of digital and the pints at the end were the final touch which we here in Ireland thoroughly understand! Slainte.

My question: when you edit an image in Lightroom and then export it into Photoshop, how exactly is it saved back into Lightroom with sharpening, local changes, dodging, etc. applied? Is it done automatically, or do you have to physically save it in some way. I save the finished file back into its original folder outside Lightroom. Does this automatically bring it into the Lightroom date base too with all the Photoshop work being automatically applied and the final print quality image you indended when you closed out the picture in PS? I've read Michael's update on his workflow and he mentions saving into Lightroom but I'm not sure if this is the way to do it.

Many thanks for any help on this because I would hate to find out the hard way how wrong I may be"
Seamus

lucien

Saving to Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 03:51:13 pm »

Seamus,

I learned this the hard way, so hopefully this will save you the trouble. When you export a file from LR, it creates a copy, and tracks that file in LR. So as long as you simply SAVE the file with its changes in PS, and do not SAVE AS..., you will be fine. The file will appear in LR, and if you have the option ticked, it will be stacked with the original from whence it was created.

So... avoid SAVE AS at all costs. If you've already done it, you will need to manually import those files you have created into LR.

I hope that helps.

Lucien

DaHen

Saving to Lightroom
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 06:08:22 pm »

Seamus,

So... avoid SAVE AS at all costs. If you've already done it, you will need to manually import those files you have created into LR.

I hope that helps.

Lucien
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108842\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the info Lucien,

Thats something to remember when I start exporting photos around.

My System: Windows8.1. Intel Core i7-377

msmack

Saving to Lightroom
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 10:53:52 pm »

Can you set Lightroom to watch folders?  If so, I save as in PS and then LR will pick up the edited version as a new file,  is this correct?

Merrill

DaHen

Saving to Lightroom
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 06:29:30 am »

Can you set Lightroom to watch folders? 

Merrill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108916\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes.
Go to File/Auto Import/Auto Import Settings, "Watched Folder" is the first (top) selection.
Then the second selection is where you want the images in your "Watched Folder" to go to.

See if this will work with your scenario.

Good Luck.    
My System: Windows8.1. Intel Core i7-377

seamus finn

Saving to Lightroom
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 03:04:35 pm »

It works as you said, Lucien. Many thanks for a labour saving tip - I probably missed it in all the tutorials etc. Perhaps the SAVE option into Lightroom should be emphasised a little more by the gurus because if you get it wrong, you end up ith a hell of a lot of work to do. On the other hand, a quick check in your Lightroom filmstrip should let you know that your first attempt didn't work so back off and get some help. Again, thanks.

Seamus
Pages: [1]   Go Up