Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax K10D  (Read 3404 times)

BrianaH

Pentax K10D
« on: March 26, 2007, 01:47:26 pm »

I have been researching various cameras, starting with Canon's Rebel XTI.  I think I that the best option for me in the long run would be the Pentax K10D, but am looking for advice before I regret my decision 6 months from now.
The most important purpose of my camera is to take pictures of my kids (14 1/2 month old daughter and son on his way the end of June.)  While I want to be able to take other pictures, I would say 90% of my pictures for the next 18 years will be of them.
Right now, I have a Kodak 5 megapixel 3X zoom point and shoot.  My biggest complaint is that by the time the camera has turned on, I've lost the picture.  And if the camera is on, and I am taking pictures, the camera has such a long shutter time that she can be on the other side of the room (not to mention no longer smiling) when the picture is taken.  
The Pentax that I looked at seemed to turn on quickly, and they have 3 fps.  I don't mind the size over a point and shoot, however, I am used to being able to look at the LCD monitors when taking pictures, which you can't do on the SLRS that I have seen.  I like the 10 megapixels because I want to have the option to crop and blow up my pictures down the road.  (Even though I may never blow them up big enough to matter, it is nice to know I can.)    I also like that I can get other lenses for more zooms(so I don't have to upgrade cameras when the kids start sports.)  While I am just an amateur, I do have the patience to read the manual and experiment with the camera to get good results.
My price limit is $1,000 and I would appreciate any suggestions of a better camera or assurances that this is a good camera for me.  Thank you for your help.
Briana

Richowens

Pentax K10D
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 12:02:22 am »

Briana,
It seems to me you have done your homework well. Pentax is a quality camera with very nice lenses, and one you can grow with. I think you will be very happy with your decision.
I also think that you have the necessary smarts and perseverance to learn how to operate it in a skilled manner.

Enjoy the kids while you can, they grow up ssoooo fast.

Rich

John Camp

Pentax K10D
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 08:24:16 pm »

Briana,

I have several cameras including the K10D, and while I'm not sure of how seriously you want to get involved in photos of your kids (they could range from snapshots to serious art; just because they're your kids doesn't mean they're going to be boring photos -- c.f. Sally Mann.) I say that because the Pentax is a little more serious camera: My K10 with three lenses (70, 43 and 21) cost about $2500 total. A new high quality zoom lens coming in May will cost several hundred more dollars. However, there's a wide range of older Pentax lenses that will work, and also some cheaper  kit zooms, so you wouldn't have to pay that much. If you've looked at the camera, you'll know that it does not have live view on the back like most P&S; and for me, the start-up seems slow -- about 2 seconds from "on" to first shot. Quality is good, but not as good, say, as a Leica, but a Leica is a lot more expensive camera. As good as an equivalent Canon, though. You know that it's a 1.5 crop, so that the 35mm focal lengths have to be multiplied by 1.5x to get the K10 equivalents...70mm has the same field of view as at 105 on a FF 35mm. Unlike other inexpensive DSLR, it has full weather seals and in-camera image stabilization. The IS is important, because with a lens like the 43mm f1.9, with IS, you're getting down to shooting in Leica Noctilux range. It's a very nice camera.

However, if I were you, and with just your brief outline of your uses, I would be more tempted to go with a camera like a Canon G7 P&S. Michael Reichmann, the owner of this site, has posted a review of the camera, and occasionally will post a landscape shot taken with it. It is a VERY good P&S, in my estimation, will save you some money, will be a lot handier to carry around, and for all practical purposes, will get shots as good as the Pentax, as long as you don't start shooting serious art landscapes, etc. It does have live view. It will also make is possible to upgrade your technology several times over the next eighteen years, for a total cost that would be not much more than the one-time Pentax purchase.

But the K10 is a good camera. I bought it when I got pissed off because my M8 died, and Leica takes forever to do repairs. The images are not as good as an M8s, but they're quite good.

JC

DarkPenguin

Pentax K10D
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 09:31:30 pm »

What about the K100D?  6mp, jiggle reduction and it takes all the same pentax lenses.

Plus it is cheap.

BrianaH

Pentax K10D
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 11:29:38 am »

Thanks for the suggestions.  While I like the idea of a point and shoot to take pictures more easily by just looking at the viewfinder, I haven't seen a point and shoot that really sways me.      
I am still deciding if the K10D is really the camera I want(I hate large purchases!)

cricketer 1

• http://
Pentax K10D
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 03:51:46 pm »

Quote from: BrianaH,Mar 26 2007, 12:47 PM
I have been researching various cameras, starting with Canon's Rebel XTI.  I think I that the best option for me in the long run would be the Pentax K10D,

Another good reason to purchase the Pentax K10 compared to the Canon Rebel XTi is the large bright viewfinder and superb weather seals, as reported by a well respected reviewer who compared the K10 with the Xti and Nikon D80.  As a very satisfied Nikon D200 owner, I spent last weekend visiting local dealers with a friend helping him to choose from one of the above three cameras and was impressed with the K10's features, handling and ease of use.  He purchased the K10 and the 18-55mm Pentax lens (he was on a tight budget).  The family pics he sent me a day later look fine and he is very happy with his purchase.

danag42

Pentax K10D
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 09:49:50 pm »

The K10D is currently the best bang for the buck by far.  It is equivalent to he Nikon D200 with more features and a battery grip available.  Next month, who knows?  Something else may be the Latest and Greatest.

It's a bit of overkill for you now, but you could definitely grow into it.  And it is able to us lots of lenses made since the 1970's, some of which are the best optics you can get.  If you can afford them.

Yakim Peled

Pentax K10D
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 09:30:38 am »

>> The most important purpose of my camera is to take pictures of my kids (14 1/2 month old daughter and son on his way the end of June.) While I want to be able to take other pictures, I would say 90% of my pictures for the next 18 years will be of them.

The K10D is a great body. Probably the best out there in the sub 1K$ but…….

When buying a DSLR you are buying into a system so there are a lot of other things to consider. One of the major drawbacks of the Pentax system is - IMHO - the lack of fast AF motors: SDM in Pentaxian. This is essential to capture fast moving children.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07022105...astarlenses.asp

When I moved to digital about 1.5 years ago I debated between staying in Canon or get a Minolta 7D. I debated long and hard as both systems offered unique advantages. Eventually I decided to stay with Canon. Main reason: Lack of SSM motors in the Minolta system. Only the 70-200/2.8 and 300/2.8 have them and things have not improved since Sony took control. As I also shoot my kids a lot (9, 7, 2.5) I know I would have missed a lot of shots without USM.

Another problem of these systems is that Sigma - which has a number of HSM lenses - do not offer them in HSM format for these systems. Only Canon and Nikon variants get HSM.

As your kids are small it does not make a lot of difference now but in 2-3 years things will drastically change. That is why I advise you to go for either Canon and Nikon systems and only* get USM/AFS lenses.

* There are very few exceptions to this rule: The Canon 50/1.8 focuses plenty fast despite lacking USM (light weight internals I guess) but that's about it.
Happy shooting,
Yakim.
Pages: [1]   Go Up