Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Edit LR images in PS  (Read 2978 times)

BFoto

• Brad's blog
Edit LR images in PS
« on: March 26, 2007, 10:42:46 am »

Hi

I know there are simple answers for this, i hope!

The photo's i am converting in LR are CR2 raw files that i have on my hard drive (previous raw shooter). I have no problems importing these files into LR, however, when i edit the image in PS while preserving the LR adjustements, 3 things happen i am confused about.

1. The PS saved file comes back into LR as a tiff? Is this because i started the file as a CR2 b4 edit? Should i have converted the CR2 file to DNG file prior to edit, and if so would this file have returned as DNG. And, what advantages and disadvantages are there from editing my raw files in LR as CR2 vs DNG.

2. Following the save in PS, the file returns as a new photo in LR, even if i have unchecked the stack photo icon.

3. It also, returns to LR from PS with ALL the lightroom adjustments returned to there neutral values (ie as if i had mad no adjustments). I had the preserve adjustments box checked.

Cheers
Brad

francois

Edit LR images in PS
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 11:02:24 am »

Hi

I know there are simple answers for this, i hope!

The photo's i am converting in LR are CR2 raw files that i have on my hard drive (previous raw shooter). I have no problems importing these files into LR, however, when i edit the image in PS while preserving the LR adjustements, 3 things happen i am confused about.

1. The PS saved file comes back into LR as a tiff? Is this because i started the file as a CR2 b4 edit? Should i have converted the CR2 file to DNG file prior to edit, and if so would this file have returned as DNG. And, what advantages and disadvantages are there from editing my raw files in LR as CR2 vs DNG.

2. Following the save in PS, the file returns as a new photo in LR, even if i have unchecked the stack photo icon.

3. It also, returns to LR from PS with ALL the lightroom adjustments returned to there neutral values (ie as if i had mad no adjustments). I had the preserve adjustments box checked.

Cheers
Brad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108761\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Brad,
Quick answers:

1. A RAW file is not an image, so LR (or PS via ACR) has to convert it into a workable image format file such as TIFF, JPEG, PSD, PNG etc... before PS can work on it. DNG is also a RAW format so converting your RAW file into a DNG won't change anything.

2. This is normal as Photoshop works on pixels. So once you've finished to edit your newly created file in Photoshop and save it, LR imports the resulting file into its database. Stacking is just a way to diplay files in a more efficient way.

3. This also is normal because your new file is imported into the LR database and therefore has all its settings set to default. You wrote it under point 2 "... the file returns as a new photo in LR...", this is correct. Once you edit a file in an external editor, a new file is created and automatically imported in LR's database.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 11:10:20 am by francois »
Francois

BFoto

• Brad's blog
Edit LR images in PS
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 11:27:09 am »

3. This also is normal because your new file is imported into the LR database and therefore has all its settings set to default. You wrote it under point 2 "... the file returns as a new photo in LR...", this is correct. Once you edit a file in an external editor, a new file is created and automatically imported in LR's database.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108765\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

Thanks for the info

Is there no way the file can return from PS into LR with the lighroom adjustments preserved? It seems a bit silly that i have to be satisfied with my LR adjustments b4 an edit PS, knowing it will return with neutral values. What if after a PS adjustement i choose to change one factor like the WB or sat of one color.

Brad

francois

Edit LR images in PS
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 11:38:06 am »

Thanks for the info

Is there no way the file can return from PS into LR with the lighroom adjustments preserved? It seems a bit silly that i have to be satisfied with my LR adjustments b4 an edit PS, knowing it will return with neutral values. What if after a PS adjustement i choose to change one factor like the WB or sat of one color.

Brad
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108775\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
No, it's not possible. As soon as a file goes outside LR, it is transformed into a image file (TIFF or JPEG). You only solution - if you need to modifiy the file edited in PS - is to either start from the original CR2 file with LR settings or make modifications to the new file (the one you edited in PS).

It may seem silly but you have to remember that a RAW file is not an image and that Photoshop works only on images (pixels). This is a fundamental point.

Maybe some other user can use a adequate analogy to shed additional light on this subject.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 11:49:56 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up