Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Optix xr and LCD  (Read 2085 times)

jaol

Optix xr and LCD
« on: March 26, 2007, 09:40:26 am »

I have a Optix xr, Not the Pro, witch works great on crts. But I have a Eizo L768 Lcd,  years old, that I can´t get right. Do enyone know if I could expext a significantly better result if I change to the pro application?

jaol

KT322

Optix xr and LCD
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 10:58:45 am »

I have a Optix xr, Not the Pro, witch works great on crts. But I have a Eizo L768 Lcd,  years old, that I can´t get right. Do enyone know if I could expext a significantly better result if I change to the pro application?

jaol
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, as Monaco Optix XR Pro permits the creation of 16 bit LUT profiles. Under Preferences make sure Create Table-Based (3D) Profiles is checked. Matrix profiles only suffice in profiling well-behaved displays (i.e. HQ CRTs). See [a href=\"http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration_tools.htm]http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor...ation_tools.htm[/url] for more information.

Hope this helps,

Kiran

Esben

• captureforce.com
Optix xr and LCD
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 11:49:16 pm »

Hi

I purchased the Optix XR pro in the fall 2006.
I use it on a dual monitor set-up as well as on a single monitor set-up, and both CRT and LCD.
I purchased the pro version to get the possibility of adjusting the RGB-gains on my CRT monitor. I don't know if you get anything more for your money with the pro version.
Since I started using the optix software, I have experiences that the optix software crashes randomly, especially when using 2 monitors.
When I talked to Xrite about this they blamed in on the current version of OSX were giving them problems.

My big problem with the Optix, is when I  calibrate my LCD monitors. In the step where I adjust the brightness on the monitor, and I want to aim for the "green" area in the spectrum, I can set the brightness at anything from 0% to 100% and in a few of those time-clicks that the software use to read and adjust itself according to your actions, the needle will place itself in the green area of acceptable, even if the monitor is all black or all white.
I have been in contact whit Xrite about this problem, and I have talked with 2 different Xrite experts. They both told me not to calibrate my LCD monitors, but go straight to the profiling and set the LCD monitor to its default brightness and contrast settings.
If I do this, I end up whit a white-luminance of two hundred and something, which is useless.
Last time I called Xrite, they told me in order to get the whit-point that I wish, I could lower the brightness to something that I find acceptable and then do the profiling. So first they tell me not to do the calibration with there software, and then they tell me I can use my eyes do a calibration to "I guess" something pleasing for my eyes as they put it.

As I see it, you can choose to calibrate and profile your LCD monitor, but it doesn't work when you get to the phase where you adjust the brightness. If you call Xrite, the first thing they will tell you is to not use the calibration mode in there own software.

I know about laptops and there displays, but don't even think about it with XR pro.

Beside, I was unlucky enough to buy my software at Calumet, who sold me a package containing the version "a" of the DTP94, you would like to buy the latest version of DTP94, which is the version "b".
Good luck.

Best,
Esben
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 11:54:16 pm by Esben »
Digital Tech NYC // LA
Captureforce
Pages: [1]   Go Up