Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 645AFD + digital back. Does it work ok  (Read 6222 times)

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
645AFD + digital back. Does it work ok
« on: March 26, 2007, 06:12:43 am »

hi
I have 645AFD that needs to be repaired/recalibrated. I would like to use it as a backup to my ZD.  Does it work ok with digital backs? Is a AFD11 much better regarding the digital interface? I dont want to go to the expense of servicing it if a afd11 makes more sense.
thanks Ivan

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 08:15:47 am »

hi
I have 645AFD that needs to be repaired/recalibrated. I would like to use it as a backup to my ZD.  Does it work ok with digital backs? Is a AFD11 much better regarding the digital interface? I dont want to go to the expense of servicing it if a afd11 makes more sense.
thanks Ivan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108711\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I use the 645AFD and the Phase P30---they are a great match.  My 645AFD works well and I don't see enough of a difference to upgrade to the AFDII at this time.  I would try and determine what would be the actual cost of repair for your AFD---and if substantial, I'd opt for a new AFDII body instead.  (Also consider the age and condition of your AFD body).

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 02:52:05 pm »

Ivan, I use the Mamiya 645AFD with a Phase One P45 and it has functioned without a single glitch. It has provided me the oppoutunity to to my best work.

The AFDII is said to have a better shutter but no one has yet explained how it is better. I see no problem with the AFD shutter. The AFDII AF is faster, two additional program modes are provided and apeture/shutter speeds can be set in 1/3 steps vs. 1/2 stop steps.  For additional info go to  http://www.mamiya.com/cameras2.asp?id=1&id2=2152  and click "Brochure" on the right side of the screen for a .pdf file download.
Jack Varney

Lester

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 04:59:08 pm »

Like Jack, I am using the Mamiya 645 AFD with my P45 and it works great, no problem yet. It might be cheaper to get a AFD body at ebay, I been keeping a eye on them and the last 3 body only, went for less then $500, one as cheap as $406. I also have the AFD II, but I like the AFD better because of the mirror lock up.

hi
I have 645AFD that needs to be repaired/recalibrated. I would like to use it as a backup to my ZD.  Does it work ok with digital backs? Is a AFD11 much better regarding the digital interface? I dont want to go to the expense of servicing it if a afd11 makes more sense.
thanks Ivan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108711\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

ternst

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 05:55:15 pm »

Lester:

Can you note how the mirror lockup is different between these two versions? I know how the AFD II works with the tiny button on top but have not seen or used an AFD. Thanks...

Lester

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 07:57:18 pm »

The AFD has the mirror lock up on the side, it is manual and once it is lock, it does not unlock until you unlock it. On the AFD II, you do push the tiny button on top and it is auto mirror lock up, but once you take the picture, the mirror comes back down. I like the AFD because I do like to take pamorama and I like to take 5-6 pictures without having to lock the mirror for each shot. Also is make my HDR work much easier.
The AFD II suppose to have a better shutter, but I have not found why it is better for my kind of work.

Lester:

Can you note how the mirror lockup is different between these two versions? I know how the AFD II works with the tiny button on top but have not seen or used an AFD. Thanks...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108865\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

ternst

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 08:15:03 pm »

Thanks for the info. I was kind of getting used to not having a manual mirror-lockup like the AFD has and hitting the shutter twice with Canons and Nikons, but just got an AFD II and don't like how it works at all, especially since the button is so TINY and out of the way - it would be tough to operate it with gloves on (I'm an outdoor shooter). I may have to dump my brand new II body and get an older one darn it...

Lester

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 08:27:05 pm »

I also like the way the Canon lock the mirror up. You can always get a AFD and use your AFD II as a back up body. I do shoot landscape with it and I like using the older manual lenses, because they are smaller and lighter, it works fine with me, since I am getting older. When younger, I used to shoot 12x20 View Camera for landscape.

Thanks for the info. I was kind of getting used to not having a manual mirror-lockup like the AFD has and hitting the shutter twice with Canons and Nikons, but just got an AFD II and don't like how it works at all, especially since the button is so TINY and out of the way - it would be tough to operate it with gloves on (I'm an outdoor shooter). I may have to dump my brand new II body and get an older one darn it...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108900\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 08:59:19 pm »

[The AFD II suppose to have a better shutter, but I have not found why it is better for my kind of work.

Hi
I think I may have added some confusion here. A few years ago the AFD did have problems with the shutter however Mamiya has improved it. So if you getting a shutter replacement now they will be the new ones. I just prefer the AFDII because I can seperate the focus from the shutter release.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 09:09:21 pm »

Thanks for the clarificaion on the shutter issue, Denis.
Jack Varney

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 04:20:37 am »

hi
thanks to all for all the info. Seems that I should keep the afd. I think my body just needs to be calibrated. It took a hard fall and focus/sharpness has been a problem since. Personally I prefer the ZD mirror lock up which I think is the same as the afd11's.
A lot of times I shoot manual focus, even with the ZD, so focus speed is not really an issue. Will be interesting to see if and when the ZD back arrives and what the price point will be and if it will be an upgrade from the ZD. In any case my thinking would be to get a back with different characteristics to the ZD. Gives one more choice, I suppose.
Thanks Ivan

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 04:44:39 am »

Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 09:39:03 am »

Hi
The 150 is indeed a great lens. The only problem is that I find it doesnt focus close enough for portraits. When using the extension tubes you lose the autofocus.
thanks Ivan
Pages: [1]   Go Up