Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't access print prefrences on Z3100 !!!  (Read 14554 times)

chris anderson

Can't access print prefrences on Z3100 !!!
« on: March 25, 2007, 01:44:29 pm »

I installed the new firmware yesterday. Then while tring to print some things through PS I try to go to printer preferences to set paper size, type of paper etc., And I ge this error:  

C:\windows\explorer.exe

Function address 0x7c93426d caused a protection fault. (exception code 0xc0000005) Some or all property pages(s) may not be displayed.

I am using XP PRO

HELP!!!!
 Chris

Panascape

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 03:43:36 pm »

There is a known bug with the released version of the printer driver where it will crash like yours has, once you have more than a certain number of custom page sizes. The beta version I have fixes this but who knows when HP is going to make it public.

The only way to fix it with the version you have is unistall the driver, delete the HP folder in th programs file folder and re-install.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 03:44:50 pm by Panascape »

chris anderson

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 03:54:01 pm »

thanks! I will give it a try!
            c

Panascape

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 04:09:09 pm »

THis is unfortunatly going to happen quite often with the driver you have. I will try find out when the release version of the new driver is expected.

marty m

• http://
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 04:56:32 pm »

There is a known bug with the released version of the printer driver where it will crash like yours has, once you have more than a certain number of custom page sizes. The beta version I have fixes this but who knows when HP is going to make it public.

The only way to fix it with the version you have is unistall the driver, delete the HP folder in th programs file folder and re-install.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108620\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

How many custom pages can we create before the error occurs?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 04:56:56 pm by marty m »

ustein

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 01:11:18 am »

>The only way to fix it with the version you have is unistall the driver, delete the HP folder in th programs file folder and re-install.

And don't synchronize papers. I finally switched using a Mac to print with the Z3100.

Uwe
---------------------
[url=http://www.ou

Panascape

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 01:53:15 am »

About 6 or 7 custom pages should do it. The new driver is much better and has some nice features.

marty m

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 02:08:22 am »

About 6 or 7 custom pages should do it. The new driver is much better and has some nice features.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108687\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So if we want to avoid the hassle of having to uninstall and reinstall the driver, don't create more than about 6 custom page sizes?  

(Of course, HP made this difficult, since if you can't create a custom size on the fly, but must instead actually save it each time.  So to avoid going over 6 you need to save over one of the custom settings.  THis is quite a bug and serious limitation!  I had over 20 custom sizes saved for the 4000.)

How long has HP known about this?  They must have known for months.  The driver was released in December and it has not been revised and released to the rest of since that time -- for 2 1/2 months.

I assume the new features refers to a new driver that we haven't seen yet. except for those of you with the beta?

Any news on when this will come out?

ONE SUGGESTION, if you can pass it along -- allow us to set up defaults, not just by using the shortcuts.  I get tired of having to change the default from letting the priniter control the colors (no one uses that) to letting the application determine the colors (almost everyone uses that).  HP has the default setting set up for the printer when it should the just the opposite -- the application.  And we can't change the default that it always opens with.

We should be able to make that a permanent default.  How many people would ever use the printer settings in a printer at this price point?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 02:18:03 am by marty m »

marty m

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 02:12:18 am »

>The only way to fix it with the version you have is unistall the driver, delete the HP folder in th programs file folder and re-install.

And don't synchronize papers. I finally switched using a Mac to print with the Z3100.

Uwe
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108683\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What happens if you synch the papers?  It appears to be unncessary (I am using XP) because they are in sync anyway

ustein

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 02:20:08 am »

>It appears to be unncessary (I am using XP) because they are in sync anyway

Not really. If you have to re-install the driver they are  not.

Uwe
---------------------
[url=http://www.ou

Panascape

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 02:24:03 am »

Uwe, the problem is not caused custome papers but custom page sizes in the printer settings. You can have as many custom papers as you like and will be fine.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 05:16:02 am »

(Of course, HP made this difficult, since if you can't create a custom size on the fly, but must instead actually save it each time.  So to avoid going over 6 you need to save over one of the custom settings.  THis is quite a bug and serious limitation!  I had over 20 custom sizes saved for the 4000.)

ONE SUGGESTION, if you can pass it along -- allow us to set up defaults, not just by using the shortcuts.  I get tired of having to change the default from letting the priniter control the colors (no one uses that) to letting the application determine the colors (almost everyone uses that).  HP has the default setting set up for the printer when it should the just the opposite -- the application.  And we can't change the default that it always opens with.

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Marty,

In Windows>Settings>Printers and Faxes>HP DesignJet etc>Preferences you can set the defaults you like to have including Application Managed Colors. That's the same for all Windows printer drivers. It may be different on a Mac.

I agree on the custom sizes. A long list of ISO print formats for any occupation and continent on this planet but not a simple instant custom size possible that will be lost after the print run is done and the application closed. The setting for a size + saving it in one menu, exit the driver, return to another menu and select that saved custom size + the same thing again reversed to get rid of that custom size is a PITA.
The name of the size that stays in the window while the driver actually returned to default size is another one. Other drivers only give "custom size" and you know you have to check what size is used, if wrong you change the size and get it right away.

On top of that, Qimage can not cope with the way HP interacts with Windows (API I guess) on the custom page size. If you have printed a job with a custom size, deleted that size later on and go to the Qimage log a week later to recreate that job for a repeat it doesn't have the sizes anymore. The same done with an Epson with an on the fly custom size for a proof on a piece of paper lying around is perfectly repeatable two years later while that size didn't exist longer in the driver than the time you needed for the first print. There's no problem with the default ISO sizes and there's no problem with saved custom sizes that are kept archived in the driver.

For art printing and photography the long list of standard sheet sizes on a roll printer isn't the most convenient, I would prefer custom size as a different tab or as a choice at the top of the list and with an on the fly choice. Cooperating with Qimage, one can not ignore the Qimage users. Qimage works for 90% perfectly well with the Z3100, just that size interaction not.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 09:23:27 am »

Hey,

To fix this problem without uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, do this:

Start Menu -> Printers and Faxes
File -> Server Properties
Forms Tab
Select a few forms in the list that you don't need or aren't using, and delete them.
Click OK

You should now be able to get back into the driver.

N.B. HP support F***ING SUCKS.  I reported this exact issue to them and got back a total jerkoff answer about how they don't support Microsoft Explorer bugs and I should consult some stale microsoft KB article about Win 2K -- or just go ahead and delete and reinstall the driver, because, you know, that always fixes bugs.

I was down for half a day on this, and was absolutely livid before I put the facts together -- adding a new page size was the last thing I did before the crashes started.  So finding out how to remove a page size without opening the properties window was the key to fixing it.  I'm sorry I didn't report it here earlier to help save other folks' time.

chris anderson

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 10:25:59 am »

that got it thank you!!
 C

marty m

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 01:12:40 pm »

You should now be able to get back into the driver.
N.B. HP support F***ING SUCKS.  I reported this exact issue to them and got back a total jerkoff answer about how they don't support Microsoft Explorer bugs and I should consult some stale microsoft KB article about Win 2K -- or just go ahead and delete and reinstall the driver, because, you know, that always fixes bugs.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108743\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

SEAN'S ASSESSMENT OF HP TECH SUPPORT IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT

I RECEIVED SIMILAR INCREDIBLY INSULTING TREATMENT FROM AN HP TECH SUPPORT SUPERVISOR

I called the supervisor back to do him a FAVOR and to explain what I disovered with regards to installing the software. (see my other thread on that subject)

The SUPERVISOR told me that HP has no obligation to discuss issues related to Windows, the operating system, or the registry.  I responded that the registry issues (again, see my posting on this) are REPORTED ON THE HP WEB SITE -- THAT IS WHERE I GOT THE IDEA FROM.  

No matter whether it is on the web site or not, HP tech support would not tell a customer that according to the supervisor, and is under no obligation to do so.

READ THE ABOVE AGAIN. That constitutes about the most irrational and just plain stupid position that any tech support team could take with regard to software.  That HP tech support has no obligation or responsibility to talk about or deal with how our software interacts with the operating system.

I then explained that I thought Norton was the problem.  He responded that they already told me that.  No, I explained, you only asked me to turn off anti-virus software.  

I was trying to be helpful and tell him that the issue might have been Norton UTILITIES and that I don't even have Norton antivirus or firewall installed.  (I use Zone Alarm.)  No matter, he wasn't interested in the slightest.

The entire behavior and approach was insulting, rude, non-responsive and some of the worst tech support I have ever received.

If anyone from HP is reading this, you can email me privately, and I will be more than happy to provide the name of the supervisor in question.  

Finally, the following day I received a call from tech support for the APS software.  The difference was night and day.  As I also reported in the APS thread, that person was courteous, helpful, and called me back twice.

The irony is that according to Robert (Panascape) he provided incorrect information.  But at least he wasn't a rude jerk.

P.S.  Thanks very much to Sean and others for info on how to delete all the dumb page sizes included in the HP driver, so we don't have to scroll down through all of that each and every time.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 01:14:43 pm by marty m »

marty m

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 01:28:15 pm »

Marty,

In Windows>Settings>Printers and Faxes>HP DesignJet etc>Preferences you can set the defaults you like to have including Application Managed Colors. That's the same for all Windows printer drivers. It may be different on a Mac.
try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108705\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks!  Somehow I missed it.  Everytime I open the HP driver it defaults to having the color set by the printer, not the application.  And I didn't see a button to "accept" and permanently change that so it becomes a default.  I'll check tonight when I get a chance.

(Or are you talking about a setting within the windows properties -- and not on the HP driver itself?  If so, what happens if those two vary?)

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 07:23:09 pm »

Sean,

It seems when I try your method below, after highlighting a form that I do want to get rid of, the DELETE button is grayed out and I cannot delete it. Same for all forms except those that I created. Seems you cannot delete any forms that come in the driver.

I'm on XP SP2 and I am logged in as the administrator of my system.

Any ideas?

Jim

Forms Tab
Select a few forms in the list that you don't need or aren't using, and delete them.
Click OK
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

rdonson

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 07:47:24 pm »

Sean,

It seems when I try your method below, after highlighting a form that I do want to get rid of, the DELETE button is grayed out and I cannot delete it. Same for all forms except those that I created. Seems you cannot delete any forms that come in the driver.

I'm on XP SP2 and I am logged in as the administrator of my system.

Any ideas?

Jim

Forms Tab
Click OK
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108888\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds like the files may have "read only" attributes.  That should be easy to fix from explorer if you know where the files are.
Regards,
Ron

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 08:04:19 pm »

You are probably correct, but I would have no idea what file to look for.

Any ideas out there?

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

chris anderson

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 08:19:40 pm »

You are probably correct, but I would have no idea what file to look for.

Any ideas out there?

Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108899\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Jim,
  scroll through the list, it only lets you delete some of them, it should work,
                    C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up