Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Induro Tripod Experiences?  (Read 11239 times)

danmitchell

• http://www.gdanmitchell.com/
Induro Tripod Experiences?
« on: March 24, 2007, 09:01:53 pm »

I'm considering the purchase of a more sturdy tripod than the nice little Velbon 540 Carmagne that I use for backpacking. I was intrigued by the Induro tripods that I saw at a local shop and then read about in Michael's recent report on the Antarctica trip.

I believe he used the C413, their largest three-section carbon fibre model and spoke highly of it. He reported two problems: weak strap attachment point (not too important to me) and his own user error in not correctly attaching the metal feet, one of which subsequently shook loose.

I'm specifically interested in the C313 model, which is very similar to the C413 but not quite so tall. When I played with it at the camera shop it seemed well constructed and well designed.

So...

I'm looking for reports and feedback from anyone else who has used one of these larger Induro carbon fiber tripods, specifically the C313 but also the C413, C314, or C414. Are you happy with your tripod? Any problems or warnings?

Thanks,

Dan

(I have searched via Google, etc. and found very few reports besides the one at this web site.)
G Dan Mitchell
[url=http://www.gdanmitch

danmitchell

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 03:38:53 pm »

Hmm...

The resounding silence in reply to my post must mean something. I'm just not sure what? Product too new for anyone to be using it? Product so bad that no one is buying it? Something else?

Double-hmmm.

Dan
G Dan Mitchell

michael

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 03:52:48 pm »

The product has just gone into distribution, so don't be surprised that not many people yet have them.

Michael

danmitchell

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 10:38:28 pm »

The product has just gone into distribution, so don't be surprised that not many people yet have them.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=109016\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the reminder, Michael. I was thinking that might be the case.

I looked at the C413 and the C313 last week and they seemed like well built and well designed tripods. There is a part of me that hates to take a chance on a brand new and unknown product, but another part thinks that your review (you are that Michael, right?) suggests that Induro may well be competitive on a feature and quality basis.

I think I'll go take another look at the C313 tomorrow, side by side with some of the Gitzo models to which it would be an alternative.

I'm heading to Death Valley next week and perhaps I'll be able to answer my own post with a report  on my experience if I pick up a C313 before the trip.

Dan
G Dan Mitchell

X-Re

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 02:02:41 pm »

(you are that Michael, right?)

Yes... he's that Michael...
Dave Re
dave@daverephoto.com website: [u

danmitchell

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 11:13:04 pm »

Nothing like replying to my own question, but here goes.

After seeing and handling the Induro C313 at Keeble and Schuchat in Palo Alto, California I decided to purchase it a couple of weeks ago. Subsequently I had the chance to use it extensively on a 4-day photo trip to Death Valley, including the Racetrack and other interesting places.

It seems like a pretty solid tripod to me. The height of the C313 is such that with the three-section legs fully extended my 5D (mounted on an Acratech Ballhead) is a few inches to high for me. (I'm about 6' 1") This is a good height since on uneven ground with one or more legs shortened I still get good height from the tripod.

The legs adjust easily and securely to the three different angle settings. Occasionally I feel like there is a bit of binding when I release a leg adjustment ring, but I think this is somewhat par for the course with carbon fiber tripods that adjust this way. (I'm getting used the rotating leg releases - I'm more used to fliplocks.)

All in all, I'm quite happy with the tripod and don't have the least bit of buyer's remorse.

If anyone else is considering one of the Induro tripods, I'll be happy to try to answer your questions.

Dan

I'm considering the purchase of a more sturdy tripod than the nice little Velbon 540 Carmagne that I use for backpacking. I was intrigued by the Induro tripods that I saw at a local shop and then read about in Michael's recent report on the Antarctica trip.

I believe he used the C413, their largest three-section carbon fibre model and spoke highly of it. He reported two problems: weak strap attachment point (not too important to me) and his own user error in not correctly attaching the metal feet, one of which subsequently shook loose.

I'm specifically interested in the C313 model, which is very similar to the C413 but not quite so tall. When I played with it at the camera shop it seemed well constructed and well designed.

So...

I'm looking for reports and feedback from anyone else who has used one of these larger Induro carbon fiber tripods, specifically the C313 but also the C413, C314, or C414. Are you happy with your tripod? Any problems or warnings?

Thanks,

Dan

(I have searched via Google, etc. and found very few reports besides the one at this web site.)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108529\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
G Dan Mitchell

BruceHouston

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 12:16:46 am »

Hi Dan,

I just saw your post from last year and appreciate it because I am in the thros of similar decision-making between the Induro C114 and the Gitzo GT-1540.

I was just about to order the C114 and saw a review on Amazon from a gentleman who gave the C114 four out of five stars and was generally positive.  However, in the end he returned the C114 and bought the GT-1540 because of a quality problem with the rubber sleeves on two of the leg locks on the copy of the tripod that he happened to get.  He figured that it was a bad omen and ducked for cover in the GT-1540.

Could you possibly provide us with an update as to your experience with the C313 after the passage of these nine months since your last post?  It is not unusual for a start-up line to have a few quality problems in the beginning.  But I would probably run for Gitzo myself if were to hear reports of the Induros falling apart after a few months of use, etc.  Could you also indicate whether you have used the C313 heavily, moderately, lightly, or not at all since your last post?

Many thanks,
Bruce

daleeman

• http://
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 06:50:50 am »

I just took delivery of a C313 and am very excited to get out and shoot on it.

I am looking at a few version of the Acratech ball heads. The GV2 catches my eye. Has anyone used one yet?

The reason I asked was on Adorama site  there is a warm but not hot report from someone who had their camera come off twice when using a Acratech GV2. That makes me think.

I will use it for a mixture of DSLR, MF film and my 4x5 field camera, so I hope the report was one of user error in mouning and not design.

I figure I can afford a reasonably nice head since I picked up the Induro C313 for a song and dance used... about 1/4 of retain.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

• http://www.billcaulfeild-browne.com
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 09:38:24 pm »

I just took delivery of a C313 and am very excited to get out and shoot on it.

I am looking at a few version of the Acratech ball heads. The GV2 catches my eye. Has anyone used one yet?

The reason I asked was on Adorama site  there is a warm but not hot report from someone who had their camera come off twice when using a Acratech GV2. That makes me think.

I will use it for a mixture of DSLR, MF film and my 4x5 field camera, so I hope the report was one of user error in mouning and not design.

I figure I can afford a reasonably nice head since I picked up the Induro C313 for a song and dance used... about 1/4 of retain.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211361\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have been using the C314 with the GV2 for about 9 months. No issues, no problems, no "slippages". Mind you, I check attachment very carefully when I'm putting a P45+ on it!

I went with the C314 because it's four extension legs will fit in a  "normal" large suitcase for overseas travel. I chose the GV2 because it's very easy to orient my Mamiya in vertical mode.

Bill

gdanmitchell

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 10:27:36 pm »

Well, first my apologies for missing the request to report back. Second, my report...

I've now used the tripod very extensively in a wide variety of circumstances - strapped to the back of my Lowepro Rover AW on day hikes all over California, tossed into the back of my car, carried over my shoulder. I've used it all around the Sierra Nevada, in Death Valley for about a week, up and down the California coast, and in many other situations. I guess I might describe the use as "moderately heavy."

It has held up quite well and I have exactly zero complaints about it. Everything still works as it did when it was new, and all in all I'm quite pleased.

In my attempt to come up with a problem two to mention...

1. Last year I noticed one day that the center column hook was missing. I have no idea how if fell out - could have just been loose, could have been something I did - I just don't know because I didn't notice the loss until afterwards. I contacted MAS, the American distributor, and they sent me a replacement hook that I screwed in (tightly, this time!) and I haven't had a problem since.

2. One of the legs became began to swing out with just a bit less resistance than the other two earlier this year. I used the included wrench to tighten the nuts on this leg and it works fine now.

3. When I purchased mine there was only one center column option - a long column. In most cases this is exactly what I want since I frequently find myself shooting on uneven ground - occasionally _very_ uneven ground - and I need the extension in some cases. However, there is now a shorter center column available for those who want to save a small amount of weight or be able to more easily work with the tripod down very low to the ground.

I should mention that I've never had the problem with the loose tripod feet that Michael mentioned in his original Antarctica report on the C413 - though he also mentioned IIRC that he may have just not tightened them enough.

Other than these things, not a problem.

Yes, I'd buy another one.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I just saw your post from last year and appreciate it because I am in the thros of similar decision-making between the Induro C114 and the Gitzo GT-1540.

I was just about to order the C114 and saw a review on Amazon from a gentleman who gave the C114 four out of five stars and was generally positive.  However, in the end he returned the C114 and bought the GT-1540 because of a quality problem with the rubber sleeves on two of the leg locks on the copy of the tripod that he happened to get.  He figured that it was a bad omen and ducked for cover in the GT-1540.

Could you possibly provide us with an update as to your experience with the C313 after the passage of these nine months since your last post?  It is not unusual for a start-up line to have a few quality problems in the beginning.  But I would probably run for Gitzo myself if were to hear reports of the Induros falling apart after a few months of use, etc.  Could you also indicate whether you have used the C313 heavily, moderately, lightly, or not at all since your last post?

Many thanks,
Bruce
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=171929\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 01:55:15 am by gdanmitchell »
G Dan Mitchell
SF Bay Area, California, USA

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 04:32:49 am »

Hi
We have the CX214 with the DM23 ball head. very happy with it. My only complaint is that the travel bag supplied with the tripod is not long enough with the ball head attached.
Denis
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

daleeman

• http://
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 09:20:19 am »

I have been using the C314 with the GV2 for about 9 months. No issues, no problems, no "slippages". Mind you, I check attachment very carefully when I'm putting a P45+ on it!

I went with the C314 because it's four extension legs will fit in a  "normal" large suitcase for overseas travel. I chose the GV2 because it's very easy to orient my Mamiya in vertical mode.

Bill
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=211629\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Bill, I too would have liked the 4 leg 314 version but this one was at the right price so I got the 313 carbon. I am glad to hear aboutsomeone using the hear I hope to buy.

Can you really follow action with the drag engaged? will it move smoothly when drag is on but the lock is off? The only way to even see one is to buy it mail order, and I never like buying things on the manufacturer's claims alone.

Lee
Pages: [1]   Go Up