Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR Sharpening Produces Excessive Noise on Export  (Read 2498 times)

convergent

LR Sharpening Produces Excessive Noise on Export
« on: March 24, 2007, 01:47:24 pm »

I just went through a group of basketball championship pictures and need to upload them to a client's yearbook site.  Upon export, the images had a huge amount of noise that wasn't visible at all in Lightroom.  I tried various different export settings to no avail... even leaving the images full size still resulted in a huge amount of noise.  I played around with some settings and determined that the Sharpening setting in Lightroom is causing this.  I had set it to 100%, which shoes minimal sharpening improvement in LR, and no real effect on noise thats noticable.  Upon export, its horrible.  If I change sharpening to 0% the problem seems to entirely go away.  Has anyone else run into this?  By the way, I'm working with JPEGs here, not RAW.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 11:32:30 pm »

You need to evaluate sharpening (and noise reduction) at a 1:1 zoom in Lightroom.

convergent

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 03:56:23 pm »

You need to evaluate sharpening (and noise reduction) at a 1:1 zoom in Lightroom.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108678\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, but if I am looking a relative sized image in LR, and I export to the same size... now I'm looking at two images of the same size.  The exported image has horrible noise, but the LR image looks completely clean.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 05:44:27 pm »

You need to VIEW at 1:1 in order to determine HOW MUCH sharpening or noise reduction to apply. If you view the images at LESS than 100% (1:1) then running up or down the settings won't show you what you'll get upon export. So, ONLY adjust sharpening and noise reduction at 1:1...
Pages: [1]   Go Up