Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Z3100 firmware update.  (Read 13151 times)

Charlie B

Another Z3100 firmware update.
« on: March 23, 2007, 09:51:47 pm »

Another firmware update for the Z3100 is on the HP site now. TR12_RO_4.2.0.2

https://h41186.www4.hp.com/country/us/en/do...?pageseq=606051

chris anderson

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 10:20:34 pm »

Another firmware update for the Z3100 is on the HP site now. TR12_RO_4.2.0.2
https://h41186.www4.hp.com/country/us/en/do...?pageseq=606051
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108380\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

downloading now, thanks!

dkeyes

• http://
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 10:34:21 pm »

Downloaded earlier today.

Using the standard test image (strawberries, etc.) on HP ID Gloss, the only difference I noticed was in the yellows. The yellows are cleaner, less red than before. May be more noticeable on matt or rag papers.

I sure hope these 355mg files overwrite the previous firmware in the printer. Otherwise, will fill up that 40g drive on the printer in no time!
- Doug
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 10:35:55 pm by dkeyes »

Panascape

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 09:19:17 am »

Don't count on this one being the last.

SeanPuckett

• http://photi.ca/
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 11:36:28 am »

It would be really nice if HP provided a change log.

marty m

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 03:04:47 pm »

It would be even more helpful HP did what every other company does when issuing firmware updates--

include a text file with the firmware that explains what is included or modified.

HP issues these firmware updates but doesn't have the common sense or courtesy to include a text file that tells us what was changed or corrected.  Such a file should be included with every update -- and it isn't.

Last time they issued a tech newsletter/paper on what was modified, but those tech newsletters have a very limited distribution.  Some of you receive them, but most of us do not.

But this time there is no report of a tech paper or any information on the changes made in this firmware upgrade.

So we are left to guess.

We don't even know what papers this might apply to.  One of them?  All of them?  

Who knows?

Does this apply to colors and to the gamut as we are guessing?  Or to the mechanical operation of some other part of the printer?

Who knows?

Welcome to the Guessing Game of HP.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 03:45:50 pm »

It would be even more helpful HP did what every other company does when issuing firmware updates--include a text file with the firmware that explains what is included or modified.

Unfortunately, sounds like they have taken a page out of the Canon playbook.  No information on what the firmware updates for the iPF5000 do.

--John

BCRider

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 03:49:23 pm »

...Welcome to the Guessing Game of HP.
You're not kidding.  I'm still on version 3.xx for my HP130 and watching multiple versions go by just because I have NO IDEA what they are changing.  I've asked HP and it is bizarre how they are unable to produce a simple change log file.

Pretty arrogant in my view.  

HP knows best, public is stupid I guess.

Panascape

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 05:19:41 pm »

I am doing intensive testing for HP and they release a new update in the middle of the testing cycle that could seriously impact the testing that is being and don't even tell me they are releasing it or tell me what it will impact.

dkeyes

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 06:05:08 pm »

It would be really nice if HP provided a change log.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108431\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ditto that. I mean how hard would it be to have a simple change log written? 1hr of someones time at HP? I'm spending more time (and money) than that simply loading, recalibrating, reprofiling and printing test files. I easily lose 4hrs in time alone everytime they update the firmware. Then there is a small matter of printing editions of my work. I'm afraid to start since things keep changing. I don't have time to change my images to match previously printed ones.

Sorry for the rant but had to get that out. I hope HP is listening.

- Doug
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 06:05:44 pm by dkeyes »

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 12:49:49 pm »

I usually get some info on firmware updates for the various printers I test on.
Yet it is not complete , thus not that useful in a global view of a dot firmware aspect.
I've asked for many years to document changes in firmware.
Few makers really do so , even Apple OsX updates are sketchy, Canon EOS dSLR firmware sketchy too.
Maybe a list of what the user would notice is all we need, especially in terms of media set ups.
Hopefully this request will be answered in the future software , future firmware releases.

Panascape

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 01:28:33 pm »

The new firmware does not have any impact onm colour but adds support for two new medias: Fine Art Media Pearl and Glossy paper High Ink Capacity.

marty m

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 01:31:20 pm »

The new firmware does not have any impact onm colour but adds support for two new medias: Fine Art Media Pearl and Glossy paper High Ink Capacity.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108803\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Robert --

I assume the Fine Art Media Pearl refers to the specific paper made by Hahemuhle?

What exactly is High Ink Capacity with reference to Glossy paper?  What does that mean and when would you use it?

Panascape

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 02:39:49 pm »

What exactly is High Ink Capacity with reference to Glossy paper?  What does that [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108806\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Your guess is as good as mine...

adiallo

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 03:33:10 pm »

What exactly is High Ink Capacity with reference to Glossy paper?  What does that mean and when would you use it?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108806\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Perhaps when you have a third party glossy paper that can handle a high ink load? It would of course be nice to have a list from HP with relative ink load capacities of all the listed paper types, but "high ink capacity" is better than what we usually get from media settings. Hopefully a sign of more descriptive media types to come.
amadou diallo
[url=http://blogfiftygreat

marcsitkin

• marcsitkinphotography
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 06:49:32 pm »

we've just received a z3100 and did the firmware upgrade immediately.

It seems there is a problem with the date & time, it's set 12 hours behind and 1 day behind. The routine for resetting the clock and calendar fails to stick.

We think an offshoot of this is that our calibrations are made obsolete immediately after one use.

Hp has no solution to this as of yet.
Regards,
 Marc Sitkin www.digitalmomentum

joncanfield

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 07:57:02 pm »

Perhaps when you have a third party glossy paper that can handle a high ink load? It would of course be nice to have a list from HP with relative ink load capacities of all the listed paper types, but "high ink capacity" is better than what we usually get from media settings. Hopefully a sign of more descriptive media types to come.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108839\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Looking at the info on the update is appears that the Pearl type should apply to all similar papers, hopefully Innova, etc. "Allows printing on think fine art paper with "pearl" coating/finishing. This new paper preset puts the carriage in the upper position but with a bit higher ink limit (not as high as gloss but higher than other fine art) and also allow the usage of gloss enhancer in the fine art papers (not as much as glossy, but enough to get the benefit on gloss uniformity)"

"Gloss Paper High Ink Capacity: Recommended when more gamut is needed on glossy paper (be aware that paper needs to be able to absorb the amount of ink. If not, you may have paper crashes that can damage your printer or problems with ink drying and ink migration)"

"So now you have further flexibility to work with non-HP media"

The last line would indicate this goes beyond Hahnemuhle Pearl.

Jon Canfield

ustein

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 10:36:39 pm »

>I assume the Fine Art Media Pearl refers to the specific paper made by Hahemuhle?

It is ment more generic for this class of papers.

>What exactly is High Ink Capacity with reference to Glossy paper? What does that mean and when would you use it?

There will a HP tech papers with all the details the next few days.

Uwe
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:36:58 pm by ustein »
---------------------
[url=http://www.ou

marty m

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 12:29:48 am »

we've just received a z3100 and did the firmware upgrade immediately.

It seems there is a problem with the date & time, it's set 12 hours behind and 1 day behind. The routine for resetting the clock and calendar fails to stick.

We think an offshoot of this is that our calibrations are made obsolete immediately after one use.

Hp has no solution to this as of yet.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108877\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What setting are you referring to?  There is no reference in the manual to setting the date and time.  Date and time don't show up on the front panel of the printer.  Nor is there any information on how to access that info, if it even exists.

But I had problems installing the driver, so maybe you're looking at something that I can't even access.

marty m

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 12:35:36 am »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108803\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Now that I am home and looking at the Easy Care driver, as well as the front panel of the printer, I'm missing both of these media types.  The printer says the new firmware loaded, but the media types aren't listed.  The Easy software has some white blanks where you select papers, and I'm guessing that's where the info should be.  It also doesn't show up in printer preferences.

But it lists the new firmware by the correct number, but not the new media types.

I guess I'll try to reload the firmware again.

I am using Windows XP Service Pack 2
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 12:39:28 am by marty m »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up