Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To the Next Level Part II  (Read 2997 times)

larsrc

• http://
To the Next Level Part II
« on: March 23, 2007, 12:40:16 pm »

Not having many workshops around here, nor really having the money available to spend on one, mayhap arranging some on-line chat-based critiques could be a way to get some feedback?  I for one could use that and would be willing to participate (having dealt with code reviews, I'm used to getting rough feedback:).  The fancy option would be to split up more or less by the suggested levels, though there's value in getting feedback from "higher-level"[1] photographers.

[1] How many exp does one get for getting a photo exhibit accepted? :)

George Barr

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 05:40:38 pm »

Lack of access to workshops is certainly a problem, or to put it the other way, money to travel to workshops isn't always available. My wife came with me to Nova Scotia for a Bruce Barnbaum workshop (she's not a photographer) and had a lovely holiday, but it's not for everyone. I'm not aware of anyone who offers portfolio evaluation without workshop attendance.

The problem with getting someone more experienced to do the critique is that it takes more than photographic skill to provide useful feedback. You'd want someone who has done a lot of teaching and has a good reputation - and often they don't have the time or interest. When offering advice face to face one can tailor the advice to the student reactions. Getting a letter in the mail suggesting you take up golf is a tad awkward.

In the absence of any 'expert's in your neck of the woods, I'd be tempted to share your images with friends who are photographers, I'd share them with painters and musicians and whoever else is artisticly inclined. No, they won't be able to help you on the technical end but they can give you feed back on the other.

bill proud

• http://www.billproudphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 12:36:51 pm »

Lars,

What I have seen in giving lectures and training is... those seeking answers cannot see the value in getting an answer until they are ready to receive it. In other words, you cannot teach another to use a tripod unless they see the value in using one. You can't teach the advantage of a split neutral density filter until the learner is tired of seeing blown out skies or under exposed foregrounds and wants to solve that problem.

I had a guy come up after a slide show and asked how this certain image could be better. He showed me the image, a matted 8x10. It had the printer date still showing in the lower right corner. He wasn't ready for me to talk to him about tilts and swings, or split neutral density filters.

Ask yourself what you are ready to learn? Are your photos in focus front to back? Are they well exposed? Do you use the rule of thirds for balance? Are you close enough to the subject to provide the viewer an interest in looking at them? There are many facets to making good photos. Don't be overwhelmed by the totality of becoming better but divide the process into manageable bites and tackle that aspect.

good luck,
www.billproudphotography.com

John Camp

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 03:21:52 pm »

In my opinion, judgment-based workshops (conducted either in person or on the net) are not very useful. The most critical thing in any art is the ability to self-edit: to compare your stuff to other stuff and see the reality in your work.

Fact-based workshops (how to use lighting equipment, "Compositing in Photoshop," "Making a fine print," etc.) can be very useful. Hang-out workshops (hanging out with a group of people who have the same interests and who exchange ideas on technique, etc. and simply share the experience) can also be fun and even inspirational.

Judgment workshops, however, above the most basic level, tend to involve very strong ideas about art, that differ from one brilliant photographer to the next. One guy looks at a John Sexton photograph of aspens and sees a brilliant work of art, the next guy sees a cliche. Who's right?

One of the hardest things about photography or any other art form is that you have to do 99% of the hard work on your own...
Pages: [1]   Go Up