Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645 or H1  (Read 5101 times)

Randal32

Mamiya 645 or H1
« on: March 22, 2007, 02:25:55 pm »

I'm about to get a p30 and still can't decide whether or not to get the Mamiya or H1.

The fast sync would be nice, but is it worth at least double the price on lenses and body?

Any opinions and thoughts?

Any other reasons to get the H1 over the Mamy?

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Mamiya 645 or H1
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 03:02:52 pm »

I'm about to get a p30 and still can't decide whether or not to get the Mamiya or H1.

The fast sync would be nice, but is it worth at least double the price on lenses and body?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108116\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Depends what you do and how much you get paid to do it.

I had the old af (not d)

The screen was dark flash synch slow af bad

(and it backfocussed compared to the chip but that was probably a one off)

H1 just works

The big bonus with the mamiya is

cost

old lenses ...

they have a rise fall lense

24 fishey

70 leaf shutter

and a 70 or 80 1.9

But the H just works for me - bright fast af and that great flash synch

no emotional attachement to it but it has never played up

H1 IMO

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Lester

Mamiya 645 or H1
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 04:30:22 pm »

It all depend on what you shoot. For my stuff, I really don't need a faster then 1/125 sync. I do have the Mamiya system, my first time I ever used a Mamiya 645, is when it came with my P25. I always been a Hass user for film. This is what if going on with the Mamiya; On ebay you can get a AFD body for less the $500, lenses are cheap too but sharp. You can also get a converter for the Mamiya, so that you can use Hass lenses with it. I am using the 30mm Hass fisheye and the Hass 110 f2 on my Mamiya AFD with the P45. In today world, it seems that all lenses are sharp and it alll depend on what you want and like in a camera system.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108116\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I am a old fart, over 60

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
Mamiya 645 or H1
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 04:46:06 pm »

Depends what you do and how much you get paid to do it.

I had the old af (not d)

The screen was dark flash synch slow af bad

(and it backfocussed compared to the chip but that was probably a one off)

H1 just works

The big bonus with the mamiya is

cost

old lenses ...

they have a rise fall lense

24 fishey

70 leaf shutter

and a 70 or 80 1.9

But the H just works for me - bright fast af and that great flash synch

no emotional attachement to it but it has never played up

H1 IMO

SMM
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108125\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i like the h1 better so got it (i have a mamiya af to compare). if you get the hc 50-110 zoom you can save on lenses, but i recomend you to buy a new zoom with a warranty- my zoom, and lots of others have had expensive repairs on them (my shutter went after 800 shots, cost 1400usd to repair).
pluses for the afd
-you can get rz mounting plates that dont use cables
-mamiya has their new 28mm. i heard it was quite sharp (a pre producton copy)
- a million lens options. the 1.9 80 is really cool.
-cheap

fyi, the mamiya leaf shutter lens doesnt work on the afd- only on old 645 pro cameras. i needs the mechanical aperture lever inside the pro to trigger it. the afd is only electronic. its a pity, as that would be a major selling point for me.

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

RicAgu

Mamiya 645 or H1
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 04:55:27 pm »

Randall,

I am heavily invested in the H1 system so it would not pay for me to move.  I had no idea that you could use older Hassy lenses on the AFDII.  This sounds AMAZING.  I  knew you could do it with Contax.  Especially the old Hassy FE lenses, which are amazing.

I have read here that there are a few people who use the P30 on a AFD II and then they can get an RZIID to use the P30 with no cables.  What I paid for my H1 set up with five lenses and two bodies.  I could have bought a 645 AFDII with all the lenses and an RZ set up complete with a bunch of lenses.

A compact set up and a portrait / studio set up that has the flash sync you need.

So the for me today the AFDII with an RZ and a P30 seems like the way to go.

Best of luck with your decision.

Randal32

Mamiya 645 or H1
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 04:58:31 pm »

yeah, if they still had the leaf shutter lenses, I would go Mamiya.

I love the bright viewfinder in the H1.  Is the Mamy as bright?

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
Mamiya 645 or H1
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 05:04:59 pm »

yeah, if they still had the leaf shutter lenses, I would go Mamiya.

I love the bright viewfinder in the H1.  Is the Mamy as bright?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108146\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

no, there is a big difference. i have the af, so maybe the afd is better. i wonder how well the "bright screens" work?

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
Mamiya 645 or H1
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 06:34:35 pm »

pro mamiya:
size, price, weight
AF with the afdII is equivalent to Hseries (but still not comparable to canon/nikon) afdII has 2 zone af...
option to use RZIID with adapter/rotating back/no cables....with 1/400 sync

i have that set-up...P30 on afdII and RZIID....works flawless..integration with the bodies is great....
about weight: the RZ with 180 is easier to handhold then the H with the zoom...and easier to focus as well....
the finder in the afdII is bright but nothing compared to looking into the RZ window...a pleasure to focus manually...but beware...a friend of mine shoots the RZ with film and when he looked through the finder he almost died because of the crop....i used to shoot RZ, but since then have becme used to the finder crop in different cameras....

like someone here said...you can get the 645 and rz with lenses for the price of one H kit with lenses...

pro hass:
1/800 sync and system integration with their own backs....if already know you want the P30 (great back! good choice) the second point is obviously mute...

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
Mamiya 645 or H1
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 04:49:24 am »

Hi
Mamiya, best bang for the buck! It will be the only system that you can put 5 backs on ,that is currently manufactured ( Phase, Leaf. Imacon, Sinar & ZD back ). Plus they do have a 28mm coming out which looks to be the most expensive Mamiya lens to date. However you can buy a 150mm on ebay from Adorama for about $250.00 USD at the moment, which is a really sharp lens. Buy the AFDII it is a better body to use. I look forward to the Hy6 but I feel the price will be similar to the H3 series plus you will only be able to use Sinar or Leaf backs. I feel there is an opportunity for Phase & Mamiya to provide an affordable option in the MFD market, if they can work together?
Denis
montalbetticampbel.com
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

BJNY

Mamiya 645 or H1
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 05:08:27 am »

Paul,

Which brand adapter plate are you using?  I use a V-mount Aptus 75 on an RZ67II, but a friend's P30 wouldn't fit due to the exterior shape of the back.

Moot, not mute

Billy

pro mamiya:
option to use RZIID with adapter/rotating back/no cables....with 1/400 sync

i have that set-up...P30 on afdII and RZIID....works flawless..integration with the bodies is great....

pro hass:
1/800 sync and system integration with their own backs....if already know you want the P30 (great back! good choice) the second point is obviously mute...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108163\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 05:09:27 am by BJNY »
Guillermo

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
Mamiya 645 or H1
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 01:37:24 pm »

Paul,

Which brand adapter plate are you using?  I use a V-mount Aptus 75 on an RZ67II, but a friend's P30 wouldn't fit due to the exterior shape of the back.

Moot, not mute

Billy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=108407\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i use the phase plate.....what you are describing sounds like what mamiya told me about their adapter....which might work, but is not tested...they said something about the sightly different shape of the phase backs...

nicolaasdb

• http://
Mamiya 645 or H1
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 04:02:07 am »

I used an H1 on a leaf A75 for about 6 shoots before I got my own backordered A65

I prefer the AFDII for the simple reason that I like to keep it simple!! and shooting digital is already technical enough that I don't want a camera adding to this.....I have had so many error readings on the H1 and even a lens failure during a shoot!

Now with my AFDII and A65....no problems. The reason that I went for a A65 instead of an A75: speed! the A75 was much to slow...and I can't wait for the A65s to finally be realized....because I am still missing a lot of shot waiting for the files to download to the card....forget about tethered..is even slower!
Pages: [1]   Go Up